Power to manual steering swap

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the process and tell me what parts i would need to switch from power to manual steering, my car is a 70 dart 340 4spd, and im looking at putting headers on it.

You will need the manual steering box and the column adapter as the column is shorter on the power steering cars and possible the pitman arm. What ratio manual box are you looking at? We offer a 16:1 or 24:1

Thanks
James From
PST

Manual steering box with the right pitman arm. Steering box can be from multiple cars including Dusters, Darts, Chargers, Satellites etc etc.
You'll either need the adapter (new 117 from ebay), a manual steering column, or lock a grip pliers on your current column and pound it down. Manual steering columns were shorter from the factory. That should wrap it up

I run Doug's headers, PS and 4/5 speed (int he middle of a TKO swap, still z-bars operated) and used a Flaming River tilt column to clear the header tubes. It cost more but allows you to retain the PS and not beat the header tube, jack the motor up or shim the steering box, non of which I wanted to do. Some use just a U-joint, but that defeats the slider built into the factor coupler.

I have a manual steering box for sale in the classifieds. Would be interested in your power steering pump setup if you want to part with it.

I have a manual steering box for sale in the classifieds. Would be interested in your power steering pump setup if you want to part with it.
pauly
Your inbox is full.
I have a set up for sale.

Do you have to pull the steering column or can you do it all from engine compartment, aswell do you reccomend changing the coupler and does anybody know what the factory steering ratio is? Thanks for all the help everybody

You'll have to unbolt the column to separate it from the steering gear. There a lot of details in a recent thread. Sorry I don't have it book marked.

Factory Ratio was 24:1 for manual but they offered an optional 16:1 that was normally found in the A Body Barracuda with 383.

Do you have to pull the steering column or can you do it all from engine compartment, aswell do you reccomend changing the coupler and does anybody know what the factory steering ratio is? Thanks for all the help everybody
Pretty straight forward. Drive the car on ramps. Yes, you'll unbolt the steering column under the dash, just unhook the gear selector rod if it's column shift. Remove drivers side manifold. Remove the battery and battery "holder" or "mount" stand. You'll need a pickle fork and a 3 lb hammer to break the pitman arm free from the steering linkage. I remove the pump, hoses, box all at once from the top.
I've done this a few times, including just recently. Not a bad job at all.

-
Back