Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
I used a lot of Hushmat on my car, but I get it way cheap. lol It's decent, but I'd like to try some STP Black Magic or some of Focal's new deadening products.

Jay

Hey Riddler, what kind of headers are you planning on using? Sorry if you mentioned it already somewhere - I don't recall seeing it.

Hey Riddler, what kind of headers are you planning on using? Sorry if you mentioned it already somewhere - I don't recall seeing it.

Sorry I missed your comment. I'm running TTI polished coated headers designed for the 3rd gen hemi and the RMS suspension. They went on with a little effort. Didn't have to bash any of the pipes for clearance which is a bonus.

Been working slowly on the car as the baby is taking up a lot of time. I am however working a few hours each night on sound deadener. I'll get some pics shortly of the interior with all the sound deadener on.

Riddler

Sorry I missed your comment. I'm running TTI polished coated headers designed for the 3rd gen hemi and the RMS suspension. They went on with a little effort. Didn't have to bash any of the pipes for clearance which is a bonus.

Riddler

Yeah, not smashing $700 headers is a plus. I scored a Gen 3 Hemi and I've decided to go ahead and use it instead of my 408. I've been doing some research on swap but haven't found much information on how headers fit using the stock location of the A/C compressor from the car version of the timing cover and accessory location. Thanks for the info!

One more question...sorry. What oil pan did you end up using? I see the Jeep and truck oil pans have a rear sump, which should theoretically work with a tubular k.

I used the Milodon pan with the extra's. If you go back a few pages where I was putting the motor in you can see it.

It fits so much better than the stock pans. It feels like it's made for this install.

Riddler

Riddler your work looks awesome.
Best of luck with your children. You are blessed to have a wonderful wife to raise them with you. My wife and I have 5, they are our joy. ( and that old car out in the garage )

Here's an update from today. I've completed 2 full boxes of Second Skin Damplifier Pro sound deadener. I'm still going to need more to finish everything I want done. I'm also thinking I'm going to buy Dynaliner to put down overtop of the passenger compartment area.

Here's what the passenger area looks like.
DSC_0144~1.jpg

DSC_0145~1.jpg

Now I knew I wanted to do the trunk area and wanted to do the fuel tank as I'm sure the pump will be loud. I only had about half a box left and it didn't go far.

Before Second Skin Damplifier Pro.
DSC_0141~1.jpg

Afterwards:
DSC_0142~1.jpg

DSC_0143~1.jpg

I'm planning to buy another box so I can finish the trunk area.

Riddler

Birthday's in like 2 weeks or so...hopefully I have everything I need. I have no idea where my birth certificate is, lol.

Jay

Riddler,

Have not been here for a while, but the car is looking good.

Well it's been a few weeks but I've gotten a few hours each night to work on the car. I'm getting the car ready for final paint as well as working with a company on a new engine harness. I'm hoping to have a big update after Sept. 15 showing off the harness and such.

I've been finishing up the sound deadener and had to wait for another box to come in. Finally I'm done and to do the complete car I needed three boxes which is roughly 100-120 sq/ft. I'll prolly buy mats or jute as well to go down before carpet.

Here's the pictures:

I went heavy on the fuel tank as I've always hated cars that the fuel pump would be louder than anything. I want to keep it quiet.
car3.jpg

I then went around the car knocking on the panels to see where it was loud and the metal continued to ring after the knock.
car4.jpg

The wheel wells on the back side were very loud.
car5.jpg

Finally the package tray. I plan to install some speakers in here so lets quiet it down some.
car6.jpg

I purchased a new custom steering wheel and had some trouble finding the proper hub. This is what I found that works with the stock column as well as my Budnick steering wheel.
car2.jpg

It's a billet unit with leather. I'm still debating if I leave it polished or take it apart and have it and the hub powdercoated. I could black (gloss/matt or even a gunmetal)

Lastly the Hydroboost plan is out the door. I could of made it fit but that involved cutting the firewall again and moving the hydroboost over approximately an inch. Since it was painted already, I chose to sell the hydroboost and go with manual brakes.
car.jpg

Hopefully more updates will follow soon.....

Riddler

That's very inspiring floor work. I am planning on doing the floor on mine soon, so it's good to see what you have done. I was wondering what you are going to do were the shifter comes through the floor. There is some noise coming through it in my car and some heat as well. What do you suggest?

That's very inspiring floor work. I am planning on doing the floor on mine soon, so it's good to see what you have done. I was wondering what you are going to do were the shifter comes through the floor. There is some noise coming through it in my car and some heat as well. What do you suggest?

The T-56 comes with a rubber boot to keep stuff out of the trans and shifter ball. I was planning to install a leather boot over top using a trim ring. I'm sure the console I make will have that area sectioned off to keep heat and such under it. If the heater gets too hot I could install this sound deadener as it's a thermal block as well.

Could also buy a thermal pad and cut to fit under the leather boot as well.

Riddler

Thanks for the advice. I think it will be a good idea to have the sound deadener under the leather boot. I can't wait to see your next update :) it's looking good :)

Well I haven't been just sitting on my butt. But with two small children I haven't been able to update much.

However I haven been able to work out a few small jobs.

Brake lines are done.
Fuel line is done.
Door window regulators, door lock, interior handles are in.
Trunk seal is done.

Here's a pic of the engine wiring harness that's getting built for the Gen 3 hemi's. I'm working with a company out of Michigan called Affordable Fuel Injection.
Engineharness.jpg

Next picture shows the method I used to install the trunk seal. Took about two hours split over two days. But I wanted to make sure it was perfect.
trunkseal.jpg

Lastly here's a couple pics from when I did the brakes. The first is a straightener I made to straighten coils of brake lines.
brakelinestraightener.jpg

brakelines.jpg

I'll be sure to take more pictures in the future and upload quicker. The next big thing is wiring the car using an American Autowire Highway 20 kit.

Riddler

Newest Update. Was sick for a few weeks and unable to go work on the car. Today I got the location picked out for the fuse panel. I'm also ready to sound deaden the drivers side kick panel area. Still waiting for the PCM to be returned with engine harness in order to mount that on the passenger side.

Wiring_Mounted.JPG

The wiring package I'm using is an American Autowire Power Plus 20.

Riddler

Just got done reading through your whole build and all I can say is WOW!!! So many ideas I want to use on my 72. Like maybe the fuel door, the wiper motor, the xv (or similar) brace, Ross' fender pieces, and so much more that I can't think of right now! Can't wait to see this car in color!!

-
Back