Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Well I've been going at a turtle's pace getting the car wired. It's a huge job but I've been tackling one circuit at a time.

I started in the rear of the car and completed the taillight wiring.
taillightwiring.jpg

taillightbucket.jpg

Here's a picture of me cleaning up the wiring.
wiringcleanup.jpg

The wiring has all been pulled to where it needs to go.
wiringmess.jpg

I chose to put the battery in the trunk.
batterylocation.jpg

batterywiring.jpg

Here's what the mess under the dash looks like.
dashwiringmess.jpg

My friend came over and did all the big wiring. Ran the main power and grounds from the trunk to the front. The large ground wire stops under the dash and continues through the firewall. I'm planning to have a few engine grounds.
engineground.jpg

Finally if anyone needs new sockets for the front marker lights on a 73-76 grill. A pair of 95-99 Dodge Neon sockets clip right into the grill markers. This changes the bulbs to 1156/1157 which are brighter and better.
neonmarkersockets.jpg

Well I'll keep working on this wiring until I can start the car....

Riddler

I always seem to forgot to upload pictures and post here. Most of my pics are hitting Instagram and Facebook. I'll update this weekend if I can find the time.

Riddler

Great project. One word of caution - - The red and green felt pads you put on the battery do a great job of keeping the battery acid mold from growing, but they can cause you no end of problems. I chased electrical problems for a year in a vehicle because of those pads. The chemical in them leaches out and coats everything on the terminal and can actually prevent good contact between the post and the clamp.

Riddler, I was surfing the forum and ran across your youtube post of the engine start. Dam, that sounds good, hope mine turns out similar.
An up date on the hinge if you're interested. I started with 90# gas springs, went up to 120# springs and now have a set of 150# springs on order. At 120 the hood opened well but any movement let it come down. Going to have to modify the hinge a bit to clear a sheet metal lip on the body. By then I will, a) be out of money; and b) have the car in primer (car goes to full primer today). I'm going to use the 120 springs for trunk lifts.

Finally if anyone needs new sockets for the front marker lights on a 73-76 grill. A pair of 95-99 Dodge Neon sockets clip right into the grill markers. This changes the bulbs to 1156/1157 which are brighter and better.

Riddler[/QUOTE]
Do you have a party number for those Neon sockets?

@retroron I just placed an order with LS Technologies in SK, Canada for a pair of 300lb springs. They are 12" extended and 8" compressed. These are the same ones used by Big Oak Garage on their Demon.

@'Bout Time!! no I'm sorry I don't but any Neon from 1995-1999 will have those front marker sockets. I might even have another pair at home.

Riddler

Wow, your hood must weigh a lot more than mine, I can't imagine 300# springs. Let me know how that works out. My dimensions are close to yours, 15 inches extended, 5 inch stoke.

Wow, your hood must weigh a lot more than mine, I can't imagine 300# springs. Let me know how that works out. My dimensions are close to yours, 15 inches extended, 5 inch stoke.

@retroron yeah my hood has the factory snorkel scoop. My only concern is the amount of pressure needed to close the hood.

Riddler

When I did the math the spring load was right at 93 pounds, but the 90 # springs just didn't get it and the 120's were basically neutral. I'm hoping the 150's do it for me. The nice thing about the spherical bearings is they are really low friction. Yeah at 300# I would have the same concern. Great color, what is it? I'm painting mine PPG Punaluu Stone it's in the same family as yours. Even my dash is similar, go figure.
retroron

When I did the math the spring load was right at 93 pounds, but the 90 # springs just didn't get it and the 120's were basically neutral. I'm hoping the 150's do it for me. The nice thing about the spherical bearings is they are really low friction. Yeah at 300# I would have the same concern. Great color, what is it? I'm painting mine PPG Punaluu Stone it's in the same family as yours. Even my dash is similar, go figure.
retroron
riddler , just for grins, I need need the A/C, hence the vents

IMG_0048.JPG

@retroron if you look close at my dash you'll see 2 vents in the center. With everything going on under the dash I didn't want to attempt to put vents on the outer edges. I'm going to run 2 down into the sides of a custom console.

I went with 300lb springs as that is what Big Oak used and it worked. My hood is super heavy with the scoop. Also I'm using the hole in the original arm from the coil spring. Which with such a short stroke (4") it'll need the extra power. The company suggested I through a tack weld onto the spherical balls.

Riddler

You and I are doing pretty much the same thing with respect to the vents, I also am running two ducts down the side to the center console.
I'd like to see your hinge setup, if you don't mind shoot me a picture or two.
Retroron

WOW....Looks great and I am glad to see the progress.

Is that light I see at the end of that tunnel?

Wow!! That 3rd pic in post #590 makes me bring charcoal back into the options for my 72! That looks awesome!!

Hey Joe.....if you wanna come to the Nats next year and show that hot rod off, .....we could save a spot for you under the big tent.

-
Back