[PSA/WARNING] - Centerbores out of spec on new Bendix PRT1132 11.75" disc brake rotors

-

cudak888

1-Baker-11
Reaction score
Crossposting this from FBBO, as this applies to big brake A-body swaps equally.

Note: Seeing as rotors are primarily Chinese junk rebadged and sold in everybody's box under different names, there is a possibility that this issue exists with other brands other than Bendix.

Last night, I ran out of daylight working on my '68 Satellite's disc brake conversion (all factory parts) and had to button up the left side as quick as possible - and so I quickly installed one of my new Bendix 11.75" rotors that I had bought from Rock Auto almost half a year ago. No caliper or anything; just a rotor so I could get the car on the ground.

As I tightened the wheel to the rim, I was rather surprised that it seemed as if the lug studs on the disc hadn't been pressed into the drum correctly. Each bolt was loosening up as I went through the torque sequence, as if I were pulling the studs onto their seats as I torqued the nuts. Eventually, all of the nuts seated tightly, and I called it a night.

Enter next morning. I loosened the lug nuts, jacked the car back up so I could start installing the caliper - and the wheel won't come off. PERIOD. One might as well have welded it to the rotor.

32322945383_9579725a69_b.jpg
Centerbores out of spec on new Bendix PRT1132 11.75" disc brake rotors
by cudak888, on Flickr

That rim is lying face up on the ground. Gravity should have made quick work of putting the rotor in its place.

32293132884_83f7bdd513_b.jpg
by cudak888, on Flickr

33096934146_5cf062d7af_b.jpg
by cudak888, on Flickr

32981832772_d1d389b167_b.jpg
by cudak888, on Flickr

Eventually, it came to light that what my tired-as-heck self didn't notice that evening was that I wasn't seating the studs onto the rotor. I was seating the rotor to the wheel - more permanently than I care for.

And by that, I mean that the centerbores of the Bendix rotor measure out to 71.64mm (and I'm still not 100% sure I had the caliper jaws on the center - the variance may be more!), while the factory centerbore specification is 71.1mm (2.8"). That was just enough for the rim to slide on with the careful application of a 5-lug tightening sequence...and stay there without the assistance of a hydraulic press to get 'em out.

33096941926_16d7d27479_b.jpg
by cudak888, on Flickr

BendixPRT1132-rotor-sm.jpg

That's all ~225lbs of me or so standing on the rotor's hub in this picture; barely putting weight on the rim. You could hold a squaredance on that rotor; it's not coming out.

Needless to say, my mid-1970's Mopar slotted police rims proved the variation difference, and I also verified the fitment issue by checking my second rotor on an early-1980s 15x7" standard Mopar rim (off a B150). Same tolerance problem.

I have a couple of ideas of getting them back apart, but in the meantime, I'm going to email Rock Auto (where I got these from) and Bendix and see what they're going to do about this problem.

Also - in the meantime - I ordered one of Centric's 121.63009 rotors and the (sinfully ugly) drilled/slotted Power Stop AR8309XPR rotors. Though I realize the source of these rotors may be the same place in China, the Bendix parts are starting to look more and more like they bought up some factory seconds and shoved them in a box (with balsa wood to protect the hub area, no less).

So with this said, I warn everyone doing a 11.75" disc conversion: MEASURE your rotors' centerbores before installing. THEY MAY BE OUT OF SPEC. Fact is, it's very easy not to realize something is going VERY wrong when you're installing your rims on these hubs. And if you are lucky enough not to damage your rim on install, there remains the question of safe removal (and I can only imagine how this might damage a restored rim's paint job).

I can only hope that the bulky police rims will do their job and hold up when I finally get this thing removed.

Will report on March 1st or 2nd when the alternate rotors arrive. (And because I'm proud of the unreasonable difficult it took to get this far - long story - here's a self-propagandizing picture of the front end conversion):

32293124354_b32bbe9b60_b.jpg
by cudak888, on Flickr

Chinese crap has a problem?

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS OFT - PROVEN FACT! My desire to save money far outweighs the consequences of using sub standard Chinese ****.

Thank you for the psa. Too tight is going to be a real ***** for anybody that actually installs calipers on their car before installing rims.

I still think about rotor explosions due to sub standard material and manufacturing. Can't wait for trump to kick this Chinese trash back across the ocean!

Chinese crap has a problem?

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS OFT - PROVEN FACT! My desire to save money far outweighs the consequences of using sub standard Chinese ****.

Thank you for the psa. Too tight is going to be a real ***** for anybody that actually installs calipers on their car before installing rims.

I still think about rotor explosions due to sub standard material and manufacturing. Can't wait for trump to kick this Chinese trash back across the ocean!

I did some research a few months ago for a different car (that lousy KIA in the background of some of the photos) and I seem to recall that there are very few major brake manufacturers that weren't in China anymore. But that information may have been related to drum brakes; I'm not entirely sure.

I'd be willing to be that even the rotors that Cass offers at Dr. Diff are Chinese - and that there isn't a thing he can do about it, other than inspect them for quality at HIS end to make sure that his end users don't get the shaft.

I was damn lucky to have installed it without the caliper. Wouldn't have been fun to pull all the hardware off with the wheel stuck on it.

I'll believe American-made rotors for our cars on the general market when I see them. Not before. And even then, I'll still check them to make sure some idiot isn't copying China's mistakes. I've seen enough mass-produced garbage come from America as of recent to know that we desperately need to get our act together. Speaking of which, deporting the bean counters to China would be a good start. It's not as if these rotors are cheap to begin with from ANY country.

-Kurt

You're talking to a man who pulls EVERY part he can from a salvage yard when he needs something. Not to save money, but because 20 year old 100k mile American stuff is better than new Chinese trash.

You're talking to a man who pulls EVERY part he can from a salvage yard when he needs something. Not to save money, but because 20 year old 100k mile American stuff is better than new Chinese trash.

You're lucky you have a scrapyard that has 20-year-old, 100k-mile American stuff. Of two pick-and-pulls locally, one closed up recently. The other doesn't ever get nor segregate classic/older vehicles. I own the only two 4-door '68-70 Mopars to exist within a 10 mile radius, to my knowledge.

And in the last 5 years, I've only known of one normal Cordoba and one 1979 300 Cordoba to exist in this town. One abandoned by its owner (disappeared 2 months ago), and a dilapidated project car that sits dormant at a house 3 miles away. That's IT.

-Kurt

Any follow up on this? I mean, did you end up installing the PowerStop Rotors or the StopTech rotors?

Shoot - I forgot to update FABO like I did FBBO. I contacted Bendix and Joe from their R&D department was an absolute delight to work with. They sent out a pair of replacements in exchange for the damaged ones.

Here's the whole story from beginning to end: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...endix-prt1132-11-75-disc-brake-rotors.126393/

-Kurt

Cool! I'll check it out. I plan to tackle this upgrade the week of Thanksgiving. I'm still debating whether or not I want regular disc rotors or drilled/slotted.

-
Back