Question about an air dryer Harbor freight

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Hoping that someone here on the forum has a Harbor Freight air dryer. I had a friend that had a Central pneumatic compressed air dryer that he never used. He ask me if i could use it and I said sure. Here's a pic of it.
DSCN0032.JPG

So I brought it home and piped it in and now the question on just how it should work. There was no manual with it so I looked on line and found some info. It appears to be working but I was wondering about how to drain the condensation that it pulls.
DSCN0029.JPG

IMAG0146.jpg

The 2 pics above are the inside of the unit. On the lower left of each pic you can see the brown (rust colored) plastic hose for draining off the condensation. The hose is connected at the bottom of the blue ball (not sure the correct name) and if I pull on the the hose (down) where it is connected I can manually drain the condensation. On the second pic you can see a ball valve just above the blue ball. When I first opened the side of the unit the ball valve was in the closed position. However when its closed there is no pressure to push the condensation out. Once I opened the ball valve i got about 3/4 of a pint of rusty water when I manually operated that spring loaded valve at the bottom of the blue valve. So I am assuming that the ball valve should stay in the open position? Next should the drain work somehow on its own or do I have to manually open it every so often?
Below you can see that I used shutoff valves so I can by pass the unit as per the diagram on the unit but Im not sure why you wouldnt want to run the dryer at all times to keep moisture from your system lines.
DSCN0031.JPG

Appreciate any insight to how to use the system correctly now that its hooked up.
Thanks Rod

Did you read the "user manual?" You can download it right from HF. These are basically a refrigeration unit (dehumidifier) Surely the drain system was meant to be automatic

The drain valve has a float valve inside, page 8

Compressed Air Dryer

Harbor Freight Tools – Quality Tools at Discount Prices Since 1977

/compressed-air-dryer-40211.html

You have to copy/ paste the two links together as the crap software from this site causes the pdf to "display" rather than be a simple link

67Dart273, thank you. I now have a good understanding about that valve. I should read more thoroughly as I had already printed that out but did a lousy job of reading it! I guess I should take that drain apart and clean it because the unit sat for at least 2 years after he stopped using it and when I did the manually drain I got all that rusty condensation. i guess I should also put a bottle over the hose as well so it can drain itself without making a mess. Again thanks for you help.
Rod

I had no idea, by the way, that HF sold anything so sophisticated as that device LOL

Just an update, dryer seems to be working which is a big plus. Tonight when I turned the air on the drain I had ask about pushed water out so I guess I need to get a catch hooked up so it doesnt spit onto the floor! I only had to give my buddy $25 bucks for it so it looks like I did ok!
67dart273, thanks again for helping with the information.
Its greatly appreciated
Rod

Wish I could afford one LMAO. I've thought about building one!!

If you are looking for the dryer for spraying, then save your money. Look on you tube for compressed air dryer home made. There is one where they use 2" steel pipe, threaded at cap the ends. Thread caps for inlet and one for drain. Stuff pipe(mine is 12" long) with poly or blend poly cotton or straight cotton fabric. Best and cheapest system unless you are at the industrial level.

I did something similar except I bought a 1/2" copper coil (10')and plumbed it like a still. It does allow the moisture to condense but when the air is moving, like spraying or using high consumption air tools, that will not extract enough moisture at higher cfm/demand. You need a medium to trap the water. Descants are too costly and you can't have enough traps. You need a barrier that stops the moisture. Remember, we are on a small shop level and not an industrial level.

-
Back