Rally dash in 74 duster

-

496 Duster

Reaction score
Instead of getting a custom dash in my duster I was wondering if its possible to install the 70 style rally dash in it. If so what changes do I have to make and is anyone selling one. Thanks

Yes, it is possible. I have a rallye dash in my '74 Duster now.

I did the entire conversion, ie, I did not buy a rallye dash dashboard, I cut the original to fit the rallye cluster. I would not recommend doing that. It wasn't exactly simple, even though its just cutting a "bigger hole".

I would buy the entire set up. Dashboard and cluster. Much easier to do, and it will fit far better than trying to cut the non-rallye dash to accept the rallye dash.

You can go without the rallye harness, I used my '74 non-rallye wiring and just moved the wires in the dash pigtail to where they needed to be. I have a diagram, but I'm still working out a few bugs with my dash so I don't want to post it up as of yet.

My thread isn't quite caught up yet, but most of what I did with the dash is here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=198098

he sheet metal dash differences is the first hurdle. The final hurdle is difference in the climate controllers. The electrical differences don't amount to much comparatively.

he sheet metal dash differences is the first hurdle. The final hurdle is difference in the climate controllers. The electrical differences don't amount to much comparatively.

Exactly. The sheet metal is a pain. Not impossible, doesn't even require a ton of skill, just a pain. And after everything its still not hard to tell my dashboard wasn't a stock rallye. I may switch another of my cars over to a rallye dash, but I'll be doing it using a full dashboard from a rallye car.

The climate controller wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although I may still have to modify what I did. The old style uses three cables, so the top lever is a double throw. The later style just uses two cables. I just drilled and tapped a post into the upper linkage so it would work with a single cable. Unfortunately I forgot to take into account the cable routing when I did that, and of course the cable comes from the opposite direction as would be convenient, so I have some tweaking to do.

Electrically its just a matter of moving some wires in the connectors and switching some of the connectors to the older style (wiper, heater switch).

Just a option to throw out there... My D.I.N. friendly rallye panel could accommodate the later model climate controller. One less hurdle.

-
Back