Rapom's Rocket - just another Duster build thread

-
Lurkers.... I feel like I'm writing a diary.:poke:

Ha ha! Yeah, I know the feeling. :D

Just looked at the Tuff steering wheel thread you posted. What a shame. Did you ever return it?

Sorry to bring it up if you were finally getting over it.

Just looked at the Tuff steering wheel thread you posted. What a shame. Did you ever return it?

Sorry to bring it up if you were finally getting over it.

Returned the next day and yeah I'm way over it. Best reproduction leather wrapped wheel I've found is the one offered by MCB, unless you want chrome then Flaming River is your deal. Of course your paying for the quality, or more likely, the lack of it now days.

Hey Blu, I decided to change rims and stick with a 9" up front rather than try to push the envelope. A minor mistake here could end up a major expense so I chickened out! Wade, Uchoog1, is (was?) running 9.5s with 7.2" of BS and a 275/40-18 Pilot Sport. Reported tire hitting frame in back and at the same time rubbing fender at the top. Limited his turn to 1.5 turns and not on the stops. I'm trying to not create problems for myself so discretion took over.

On the fender I started out with a rubber mallet and believe it or not a big ol dull chisel. Cut 3 small slits in each corner so the metal wouldn't tear as I slowly rolled the metal over. The chisel was just the right shape to support the back of the lip as I worked the lip over with the mallet. Once I got the bend started I switched to a small body hammer and used progressively thinner pieces of scrap metal to back up the rolled portion as I worked it over. The key to the whole thing is to go S-L-O-W. Its more of a "tap tap tap" process than "wack a mole". Even though the tight spot is at the top of the arch I did a progressive roll staring almost at the bottom corners. The flat plate supports will get the roll almost even with the inner sheet metal but the sharp edge will be exposed to the tire. I used an allen wrench clamped in a pair of vice grips to back up the roll as I worked the sharp edge of the lip further over. The finished roll is lower than the surrounding sheet metal and wont slice up the tire if it ever contacts it. Now I have to duplicate it on the other side. Used a piece of flat copper as a backer and tacked the slits closed with the MIG. Finish off with a flap disk on the grinder. I took the day off to work on the car but so far have been ordering stuff and web surfing!

Yeah I think for a car that's going to see street use it's sometimes better not to push the envelope too much. I know Tomswheels is running 18x10's up front, but of course he also pushed his front fenders out with a porta-power. ;-)

Nice work with the fenders, you can't even tell you did that with a hammer/dolly. I cheated, I bought one of Eastwood's fender rolling tools when it was on sale a few months back. I figured I have enough cars for it to be worthwhile. I'm waiting on my SPC UCA's from Bergman Auto Craft, once I get those I'll install my QA1 tubular lca's, the SPC uca's, and roll the fenders while I have it apart.

That's right, take the easy way out. Why all the changes up front?

I'm replacing the stock LCA's with tubulars to pick up some more wheel travel. With my ride height I'm down to about 1" of clearance to the frame, even with the super thin button style poly bump stop. I don't bottom out much, but it does happen occasionally even with the 1.12" bars. Anyway, it's not necessary but I picked up a set of the QA1 LCA's because they actually give you about an extra inch of travel. And I gusseted this set, so no issues like I had with the ones I had from CAP on my Challenger. What I should have done was raise the car up a 1/4" and never worried about it again, but what I'm doing is replacing the LCA's and rolling the fender lips so I can lower it another 1/4" to 1/2" instead.

The UCA's are only getting replaced because I'm going to use the non-adjustable tubular arms on my Dart. I've gone back and forth a bunch on what wheels I was going to run on my GT, but I've come to the conclusion that I will probably end up running a wide enough front rim that I might need tubular UCA's instead of the stock UCA's with offset bushings. Anyway, since I was in the market for tubular UCA's again I bought the double adjustable arms for the Duster, since it's the more radical set up. The Dart GT will get the non-adjustable arms so I can run whatever wheels I end up deciding on. I was originally just going to run cop rims on the Dart, but even on just a driver I want to run tires that actually have traction and at least 245's, and since I know myself it'll probably end up being 255's on 9" wide rims, so, tubular UCA's just in case.

It's a crap load of work for what amounts to not much difference, but there you have it.

I'm sure glad your out there doing all this research and providing me with all these expensive ideas! Are you planning on competing with this car or is this strictly a exercise in extreme street cred?

Progress?

You got me to reading a bunch on the EFI stuff you posted. Went so far as to send them an email and ask if a Ford EDIS module could be used to replace the distributor. Nothing back on that, so I guess not.

Either way, got me to thinking about stuff again.

I'm still around. Wifey is on a remodeling kick and is eating up my car time mercilessly dragging me around to furniture and bedding stores.
Progress? I ordered up the base 600HP FITech Throttle Body and Command Center Kits but they were waiting on a shipment of the Command Centers to come in so I told them to hold the order until they had it all on hand. Nothing yet on that score.
Been spending way too much time making a bracket for the next modification underway but you will have to wait until its done and pictures are taken. I have been compiling a list of all the minutia needed to finish work on the oiling, cooling and fuel systems and will order all that up tonight.
Frankly what I really need to be doing is getting my shop's ceiling closed up and some heat installed so I can work on the car this winter when I'll have the free time.

Frankly what I really need to be doing is getting my shop's ceiling closed up and some heat installed so I can work on the car this winter when I'll have the free time.

That sounds like a good use of your time. At least that way you could make progress after it get's cold rather than everything coming to a stand still.

I don't have a garage, so when the weather is bad, I get absolutely nothing done. Working on a garage addition, but....

One of my favorite things is to spend a day in a warm garage making progress on a project while it is cold outside. Have to enjoy that in other people's shops right now, but look forward to the day I can do it myself.

Yeah winter is a huge waste of car time without some sort of heated area to work in. I've been procrastinating way to long on finishing out the interior of my shop. If they would just make a day 36 hours long instead of 24 I might get half the stuff on my to do list at least started.

Yeah winter is a huge waste of car time without some sort of heated area to work in.

Amen to that!! God's Garage just doesn't work well when there is white stuff on the ground.

If they would just make a day 36 hours long instead of 24 I might get half the stuff on my to do list at least started.

Pray that never happens. Then you would have to work 20 hours a day at a job instead of 8 and would end up with even less time than you have now. :banghead:

Always makes me laugh how people used to think we would be working 3-4 day work weeks someday because computers and fax machines saved so much time that they would be able to get their work done sooner. Instead, expectations just went up and now it is unusual to find someone who only works 40 hours a week.

About time for an update don't ya think?
Pretty much have completely wasted the last couple of weeks but I did order a bunch of junk and then headed to Vegas to attend the SEMA show. Here is what Summit sent me: Pic 1: Remote oil filter mount, 2 AN8 fittings and a WIX filter which looks somewhat like this when assembled. Pic 2: A 10 micron fuel filter, not sure if I'll use this or not. Pic 3: Moroso coolant expansion tank for radiator.

Attachments

• 20151029_170247.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 500
  • 20151029_170741.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 20151029_171746.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 468
I used this particular expansion tank because it fit perfectly between the core support and grill on the passenger's side of the radiator opening. Bent up a simple Z shaped bracket for it to hang off of, drilled a couple of holes in the core support and now it sits right where it needs to.

Attachments

• 20151029_172228.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 474
  • 20151101_164855.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 505
The trip to SEMA allowed me to visit the FiTech booth and put finger prints and drool on all their displays since my order was delayed by Email issues on my computer. The TBI and Command Center are gorgeous and the system seems very well thought out. My kit was at the house when I got home and I'll do a step by step on the installation for those interested.

So here is a new idea for ya' all to ogle. Because my engine was set up for a remote oil filter by the original builder I needed to come up with a solution of my own. I spent a retarded amount of time making this bracket to mount the oil filter to the firewall. It will be welded on and will position the filter for super easy access and no mess changes. I've seen a lot of different methods of remotely mounting filters but never one like this. Seems so obvious now that it's done

Attachments

• 20151031_163716.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 483
  • 20151031_163658.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 20151031_162404.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 468
Pic 1: Last but not least is the trans and bell housing has been moved off the bench (a controlled drop) onto a small pallet so it can be joined up with the engine and K member. Pic 2: I attached all the external goodies so I can get a good fitment check on everything once it's ready to go back in the car. The Centerforce "Dual Friction" clutch and billet flywheel are laying in the background.

Attachments

• 20151031_162223.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 450
  • 20151101_132505.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 478
Yes, tell me more about FITech system!

What is it you want to know? I'll document how I go about the install but it will be a while before the car is up and running so you'll have to rely on others for operational input. I can go over the pros, as I see them, over other TBI based systems on the market if you want.

I'm hate'n life right now. Spent the whole morning yesterday editing pics and typing up two new updates. Was almost done and ready to post when we got hit with a small tornado that touched down about 250 yards north of my house. Thankfully not much more than downed trees and roof damage in our little burg of Battle Ground but the loss of power wiped out everything except the pics I had saved. It might take me a couple of days to reconstruct as my enthusiasm level is not real high at the moment.

As I stated before my FiTech injection kit was waiting for me when I got home from the SEMA show in Vegas. Pic 1: After kissing the wife hello I immediately opened up the boxes to fondle the goodies inside. Pics 2 & 3: Excellent packaging and every thing was there that was supposed to be. Pic 4: You can see how compact the Command Center is sittin next to the Throttle Body. I got out the camera and took some pics, put everything back in the boxes and that is as far as it's gotten in nearly a month. Thanks to the boss's house remodel projects and Turkey Week I've only managed a hour or two of shop time to do some fitment checks and finalize the installation plan.

Attachments

• 20151113_155252.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 20151113_155346.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 381
  • 20151113_155506.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 363
  • 20151113_155939.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 367
-
Back