Rapom's Rocket - just another Duster build thread

-
You aint the only one!

First order of business is to mount the CC. Plan is to use the space where the radiator catch tank and vapor canister use to reside. Two problems with that. My aftermarket radiator takes up some of that space and the CC needs to be mounted vertically due to an internal float and I would assume to keep the high pressure pump submerged in fuel properly.
Pic 1: Red arrow pointing out angle of stamping. Not even close to vertical.
Pic 2: Interior shot of the inner fender. The black lines are cut lines so I can reshape this area into more of a box shape.
Pic 3: Undercoating cleaned off and ready for the cut off wheel to do it's thang.
Pic 4: That looks like it hurts. Made the cuts, bent the sheet metal back and trimmed to make flanges for welding in a box I made from the hood skin removed during the scoop install.

Attachments

• 20151119_100746.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 864
  • 20151119_133851.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 820
  • 20151119_133814.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 764
  • 20151203_173752.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 813
Pic 5: Gettin there. Box built and stuck in the hole.
Pic 6: Nice vertical mounting surface. The box is deep enough so it moves the CC outboard to clear the radiator and is widened to use the supplied mounting brackets.
Pic 7: Figuring out where to make the bolt holes for the CC brackets.
That's how she sits for now. Hope to make great strides tomorrow if the wife will leave me alone. I refer to her as "The Bi.ch" now.... The car, not the wife! Jeez.

Attachments

• 20151203_103046.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 781
  • 20151203_103122.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 824
  • 20151203_110102.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 817
That's a big kick out in the fender well. Did you check for tire clearance on that bad boy?

Of course I did! It's an inch and a half deeper and a half inch wider (towards the front) than the stock stamping. Plenty o room for a 25-26 inch tall tire.

Progress from yesterday. Welded in the CC's box, ground the spot welds and shot it with some black paint and undercoating to blend in the new addition on the wheel well side. Working on laying out fuel line runs and figuring out the filter location. With the radiator, fans and engine in place it will blend in with the rest of the equipment.

Attachments

• 20151212_174123.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 752
  • 20151212_174053.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 768
  • 20151212_174027.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 779
  • 20151212_173903.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 791
Just read this entire thread! Love the thinking outside the box you do! That's what makes hot rodding what I fell in love with 30+ years ago. Great job on everything! I'm starting a thread on my 73 build in the spring when I bring it to the the new house from storage. I've got a lot of outside the box ideas as well. I'll probably get banned by the purists lol!

I just read your whole build thread. Just picked up my Duster last weekend. Hoping to stretch a long build over the next 10 or so years with my kids. You've done some great work and believe me, I'll be borrowing some of your ideas.

Whoo hoo! My thread follower count just doubled! Welcome to the group.

I only count for half a person, if at all, so if you included me in your math it is off. :angel12:

Nice job, can't wait to see more progress.

quote=70440;1971061631] I'll probably get banned by the purists lol![/quote]

Don't worry about the purists. They can have their 100 point restored show pieces that never see the light of day unless there's a trophy to be had. I want 60s-70s style sheet metal with modern mechanics underneath. And I want to beat hell out of it when it's done. That's my goal and I'm stickin to it. :burnout:
Dion, sorry, I forgot to carry the decimal point~:poke:

Startin on the fuel line rough in. The little black canister is the filter going from the CC to the Throttle body. The 4th store I tried (Napa) had the 1.25" cushion clamp I needed to mount it to the apron. Why does it take so long to build a car? I don't have a clue.

Attachments

• 20151218_164744.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 697
Ron you going to have this done and ready for us to haul to mats march 18 - 20th lol

Haul??? You mean haul azz? March is a might ambitious. Unless this is going to be a warm winter or I get some heat in the shop soon progress is going to get mighty slow. After an hour or so the fingers and toes are numb and it's not even snowing yet.

Attachments

• Frozen nuts.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 699
just finished reading the whole thread. lots of ideas for me to steal.

thanks for sharing with us. ill keep lurking.

and that surge tank setup is pretty cool. what lines and fittings are you running?

Hey dusterbd13, glad to see your following along. Are you back on your Duster? Saw you were working on an Elky (your forgiven, I have a Chevy too) and that your Duster thread had gone cold. I've gotten an idea or three from your car. The dash work you did way back in your initial thread is what inspired my dash build. It will probably look familiar to you when/if I ever get it finished.

Fuel lines and fittings: the Command Center Kit comes with 5' of high pressure hose. System pressure is regulated to 58psi. It's used for the run from the CC to the throttle body along with an inline filter. I'm using 3/8" auto parts store rubber gas line in the rest of the system as its all low pressure. There are 6 assorted fittings in the kit that are AN to hose barb and I had some same type Summit fittings from the carb set up. I'm putting a red band clamp on the hose at every fitting. Not needed but it keep's the look cohesive thru out the car as one of the themes ie. all fittings are black, rubber hose instead of braided and since the band clamps were needed on the power steering and vacuum lines I just ran with it.

Major progress lately: I got my throttle cable stud swapped from the Holley to the throttle body and set it on the motor today. Whew! Time for a break...

Hope every one reading is having a great holidays.

Just browsed a few pages, very detailed build! What did you do with your old upper control arms?

I'm at least spending some time and money on it again. But the thread has been updated.

Care to share more on the band clamps your using? May be something I want for a little extra piece of mind at 60psi rail pressure.

Simple spring/band clamp with a long OEM history. Got a sack of 20+ in 3/8" for a few bucks off Ebag. I found them in red which matched what I was already using. Probably more insurance than needed but I've had so so luck with just twist on hose barb fittings. Didn't want to use screw type hose clamps - don't like the look and they can slice you up when working around the motor.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 499
I have not disappeared!!!! Just been working on a couple of engine issues so I can get the mule buttoned up for good. Time consuming research and measuring. Really, really boring to write about. More so to read. I'll let ya all know when something exciting happens, promise.

Sorry for the silence lately. Nothing major happening, like a blown hemi replacing the 360, but progress is still continuing. Measuring for push rods and going over the car to put together a list of all the hoses, clips, clamps, nuts, bolts, screws, grommets and bumpers need to finish up all the nit picky little things that keep ya from actually finishing anything. Spent a week in Vegas at MATS, a day walking the Portland swap meet (very little Mopar stuff) and spring yard work taking up too much car time. Made a lower stand off bracket for the radiator over flow bottle as there was to much wiggle with just the upper mount. Doing some rust repairs on the top of the tail panel where the trunk gasket likes to trap water and replaced the fuel hose from the cap to the fuel cell, but, not liking it much so I may redo my redo. Trying to get the engine buttoned up so I can mount up the clutch and trans and stab it back into the car. Spent yesterday, and probably the rest of today, buttoning up the rear brake line routing around the 4 link bars to the axle. Boring!

-
Back