Rare opportunity (WIW 2009 5.7L Hemi?)

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
About 2 years ago I found for my mom a 2009 Chrysler 300C AWD with the 5.7L Hemi. Well last week we were in an accident where the car was totaled (yes we're both perfectly fine, no one was hurt thank God) and the insurance is claiming the car and will be putting it up for auction soon. I have my '70 Duster and have always wanted to do a new Hemi swap, you can probably see where I'm going with this... the insurance guy gave my mom the information of the company which will be auctioning the car as I mentioned the idea to her.

First off I don't know how this stuff works with auctioning off totaled cars; like will it be for each individual piece, or in 'packages'? And what is the typical going rate for a 2009 5.7L Hemi (MDS and VCT, Eagle heads) with 80,000 miles? It would be so cool to be able to get this engine for a swap because I basically took care of it for the past 23,000 miles and I know its condition; it even had the recalled timing set replaced under warranty soon after we got the car and I did every oil change for the past 18 months myself with Mobil 1 synthetic and Bosch filter. Needless to say it ran perfectly and hauled that heavy 300 like it was nothing and averaged 17-22 MPG the whole time.

you know its history , right . thats worth a bunch . it would make your duster a daily driver with hp performance . i like your thinking . is it a closed bid or open free for all ? here in calif we have 09's in pick n pulls . don't think it would sell for much .

Ask the insurance company how much less the settlement will be if you decide keep the car...(Salvage value)

Good idea. They may make you a great deal on it just to not have to mess with it.

I don't think that's really in the cards, I would have no place to put it then I'd have to go through the trouble of parting out the rest of the car. I'm going to see if I can find out who wins the auction for the car and try to buy the engine off them. I would imagine it's a local salvage yard or something.

I don't think that's really in the cards, I would have no place to put it then I'd have to go through the trouble of parting out the rest of the car. I'm going to see if I can find out who wins the auction for the car and try to buy the engine off them. I would imagine it's a local salvage yard or something.
Khalid,you know the history,of the drivetrain..., ask what vehicle buyout is,before you close the deal.... You might be surprised,upon buy in... Clean up,& attention to details upon,logistics... Is upon you.. (Khalid : personal knowledge of a drive train , upon purchase... Excellent....
The rest: you KNOW, what to do....It#s not a 1964 Corvette,a '63 Dart,... Absolutely,pick the insurance company apart,about that buy back...Usually,they just deduct it, from the pay back check....

Your mom has first shot at salvage. Your only and best option for getting a good price on the engine if for your mom to buy the car from the insurance.

Then pull the engine and sell the rest to a wrecking yard. No need to part out the car or hold onto it for more than a couple days.

The insurance company will have a salvage value that you can buy it back for. If you don't buy it back through the insurance it'll go through a salvage auction (probably Copart).

Your mom has first shot at salvage. Your only and best option for getting a good price on the engine if for your mom to buy the car from the insurance.

Then pull the engine and sell the rest to a wrecking yard. No need to part out the car or hold onto it for more than a couple days.

This! I've bought 3 cars back that the insurance totaled. Its your car.... unless you owed... that is different.

I can promise you if a salvage yard buys the car, you will pay A LOT more for the motor than you want, and they will cut and damage plenty of sensors and wiring when they pull it. As has been said, buy the whole car back from the insurance company if possible

Damn that's a shame, I would totally buy the car back (if I had the money which I don't, first off) but that would be a headache as it's my parents' car first off, and I currently live in their house which is in a suburb with a strict HOA and we have no room in the garage for a wrecked car. The logistics of renting a storage unit, transporting the car, pulling the engine, selling the rest of the car... I just have too much going on right now in my life including trying to get a better job to get OUT of my parents' house lol so doing something like this just isn't a high priority. Anyway it would be years before I could even start planning out swapping that 5.7 in my Duster. Thanks for the tips though guys much appreciated...

-
Back