Removing Front wheel cylinders and suspension bushing kit on 65 Cuda'

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
I am just starting to tear down my front end and replace my bushings with a kit on its way from PST (rubber). Taking brake parts off was easy, it looks like the suspension parts are going to require some hard core wrenching and bigger tools. if there is a step by step guide to disassembly and rebuilding the front end on this car, it would be great to reference. I have 10" drum brakes which I am just going to clean up. My first quandry is that I have new brake cylinders which I want to install and I can't seem to access the bolts on the back of the wheels to remove the cylinder. The brake fluid line is right next to the bolt on the back, which I removed, but there is still no room to get a wrench on the bolt. I expect that I will have the front end parts removed as part of my re-build, but i can't imagine that you would not be able to remove a brake cylinder by itself without a bunch of extra work. Am I missing something here?
Thanks Guys!

New Port backing plate.jpg
The brake cylinders should be accessible from the back of the backing plate. They are close to the fitting so you'll have to take that off obvuoisly. I don't remember and shenanigans when I did mine. Are they covered in grease so you can't see them? Just 2 3/8x1/2 bolts iirc.one may be behind spindle but should be accessible with a box end wrench

Last edited:
Popping the backing plate off is just the four bolts once the line is disconnected.

I have had to pull the backing plate away from a spindle or axle flange to get a rusted rounded off fluid line fitting out of a wheel cylinder too. More to take apart, goes back together easier.

-
Back