Removing harmonic balancer?

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
i could not find the “Chrysler” harmonic balancer removal tool but we have a normal on here in the garage. If I modify it so the entire tool sits on the outside of the balancer will it still work?

I have it mounted but when I go to crank down on the main bolt I am worried I am putting too much force on it.

Why delete? Share how you did it so it may help others.

I have used a steering wheel puller for this in the past.

All the auto parts stores had balancer removers then they had a Chrysler balancer remover. They were out of the Chrysler ones and I had a regular tool over at a friends that I used.

It was similar to this but the odd shaped piece was too small to fit on the outside ledge of the balancer. It wanted to sit in side the cavity lopsided.

I used the alternator mounting arm and a piece of steel to make the tool sit flush against the balancer. Then cranked down on the main bolt that goes through the center of the tool and eventually it came off.

505FA6BA-3925-4204-94DF-FC53E36026E0.jpeg

You should have large washers under the outer bolts. What is the center puller bolt / jackscrew bearing against? I always simply pull the washer off the engine / crank bolt, and thread it back in, let the puller bear against that. "Years ago" I had one crank bolt I "center drilled" for the puller bolt to center on, it had a point on the end

All the auto parts stores had balancer removers then they had a Chrysler balancer remover. They were out of the Chrysler ones and I had a regular tool over at a friends that I used.

It was similar to this but the odd shaped piece was too small to fit on the outside ledge of the balancer. It wanted to sit in side the cavity lopsided.
You should have large washers under the outer bolts. What is the center puller bolt / jackscrew bearing against? I always simply pull the washer off the engine / crank bolt, and thread it back in, let the puller bear against that. "Years ago" I had one crank bolt I "center drilled" for the puller bolt to center on, it had a point on the end

That was just a picture I pulled off google. I guess I could have just used washers to grab the outside edge of the balancer but the hack worked haha

I think you'll find the "Chrysler" puller you speak of is for the late model engines. The balancers aren't threaded for puller bolts and you need a pilot shaft that goes through a hole drilled in the crank snout. The old balancers are pulled with a yoke style puller as pictured.

I think you'll find the "Chrysler" puller you speak of is for the late model engines. The balancers aren't threaded for puller bolts and you need a pilot shaft that goes through a hole drilled in the crank snout. The old balancers are pulled with a yoke style puller as pictured.

Good thing I didn’t waste my time driving around looking for a Chrysler tool then

The Chrysler remover the parts stores have is for the later models that do not have bolt holes in them. Those have zero to do with our older Mopars. You used the correct tool.

Beat me to it!

-
Back