Removing Lower Valance

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so apparently my Barracuda has been hit on the passenger front side at some point in the past. Well rather then fixing it they hid it and now that I am trying to replace my lower valance I am finding how far the damage goes. Turns out the person who "fixed" it used a bolt and nut to attach several of the mounting points. On top of that the bolts/nuts seems as though they were used and rounded. I can not get any power tools in there I have tried a metric wrench slightly smaller and it won't grip the head. I have tried heat and that allowed me to snap the head off of one. Any ideas one the other 2? Options for breaking them or griping or anything?

Okay so apparently my Barracuda has been hit on the passenger front side at some point in the past. Well rather then fixing it they hid it and now that I am trying to replace my lower valance I am finding how far the damage goes. Turns out the person who "fixed" it used a bolt and nut to attach several of the mounting points. On top of that the bolts/nuts seems as though they were used and rounded. I can not get any power tools in there I have tried a metric wrench slightly smaller and it won't grip the head. I have tried heat and that allowed me to snap the head off of one. Any ideas one the other 2? Options for breaking them or griping or anything?

can you get a long bolt in there and tack it to the bolt head with a mig. Works like a charm.

You wont find many lower valance bolts that aren't extremely rusted. I have 2 here and both now have slotted holes.

I wish i have on the outside edge where the bolt head is about 4 inches and the inside I am pretty open.

There are three bolt holes the one I am having a problem with is the center one.

2re01mg.jpg

And then this bolt hole which is directly under the headlight here I have almost no room.

j5h1jc.jpg

You wont find many lower valance bolts that aren't extremely rusted. I have 2 here and both now have slotted holes.

I totally expected this but had they continued to use the correct hardware i could snap it and the just remove the bolt body.

Either way at this point I don't know what to do. I need to remove them but I don't want to destroy my fender in the process.

I ended up using a dremel on these small bolts it worked like a champ but when it came to removing the 1/2 bolts used on the fender itself it was a bit less effective. Still worked but took for-freaking-ever.

-
Back