Replacement Piston Question..

-

goldenmopar

Reaction score
I've got a 360 magnum that is in great condition, the pistons are good too only problem is I busted the skirt or little ledge between the oil ring and the bottom compression ring. I can't find an oem piston anywhere, just aftermarket hypereutectic pistons. I'm guessing these aren't the same weight, compression distance is different as well. One piston that I thought might work the Silv-o-lite cast aluminum piston by keith black, part number is there. The compression distances match the stock pistons, but would the weight and dish shape match? I really don't want to buy a set of pistons... Any help is appreciated, thanks.

S3222-STD

This piston weighs 50 grams more than the stock piston in my 99 5.9 mag.
I know because I bought them and weighed them and had to pay to have my assembly balanced at the machine shop. Just a heads up to anyone wanting to use these.
Factory was 604 grams these were 653ish

If u can get the the same weight, and the new one is the same configuration and comp. , I wouldn`t worry about it in a daily driver low h.p engine
Get a pounder scale, carbide grinder... and just grind around the bottom of the pin boss to lighten to the desired gram weight.
I have done that a few times.

Get a pounder scale, carbide grinder... and just grind around the bottom of the pin boss to lighten to the desired gram weight.
I have done that a few times.

Who you kiddin? You don't know how to run a grinder. lol

I've got a 360 magnum that is in great condition, the pistons are good too only problem is I busted the skirt or little ledge between the oil ring and the bottom compression ring. I can't find an oem piston anywhere, just aftermarket hypereutectic pistons. I'm guessing these aren't the same weight, compression distance is different as well. One piston that I thought might work the Silv-o-lite cast aluminum piston by keith black, part number is there. The compression distances match the stock pistons, but would the weight and dish shape match? I really don't want to buy a set of pistons... Any help is appreciated, thanks.

S3222-STD
@dgibby had some factory 360 magnum pistons and rods I was gonna buy them but he may sale you just one.

50 grams from around the pin boss is a lot more than you're gonna be able to take out.... 5-10 grams is a lot of material removed.

604 grams is the same number I have recorded for this stock piston. That reported Silvolite weight does not make sense at all; good to have that info. One factor: Oversizes will add 5-10 gram per .010" increment.

Some further data:
Magnum slug weight vs...

may be old but someone else may find it
dbl check the compression ht on re-builder pistons- they may have been "compensated" with lower compression ht
no pic but would a ring spacer work with one piston with 1/16 rings

-
Back