Replacing dash light bulbs

-
I could just find a wire that gets power when the key is on correct?

But before I do that I am going to try and see If I can solve the bulb not working, because I don't really want to put in another gauge...already have temp, oil pressure and a tach, less clutter the better! lol

Also for the gear indicator light is the only way to access the wire to pull apart the steering column?

Ok, some clarification. Do you have lights on left and right of speedometer that vary brightness with the dimmer? Those 2 and the one by the ammeter are one circuit. That same circuit feeds your shift light, radio light, HVAC light and ash tray light. Other than the shift, are all the others working? You can check the shift circuit by opening the connector to the right of the column and check continuity back to the bulb. I'm looking at a 74 manual, should be flat 8 pin connector. One end has 2 reds on one side and 2 blacks on other. 3rd position is orange on both - They are the ones you need. The other side should check hot with the lamps energized.

Originally nether the ammeter/temp and the speedometer lights didn't work and seperately the gear indicator didn't work. I cleaned all the contacts and made sure all grounds were good and now all the lights work perfectly! The dimmer/rheostat works like it should as well. Even the radio and fan toggle lights work with the dimmer.

I guess I just had some loose connections, I'm happy it's all fixed, getting the car inspected this week, should be driving in pretty soon! Thanks for the help!

-
Back