RMS rear 4 link, not symmetrical?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Installed the RMS 4 link rear in my 65 valiant and I had to adjust the passenger side strut up an inch more than the drivers side to get the same height from side to side. The passenger side is nearly maxed out. This can’t be right, links are all within an 1/4”

With both struts adjusted equally the passenger side sits 1/2” low. I do remember with leaf springs it sat lower on the passenger side but don’t think I ever measured it.

IMG_3924.jpeg

IMG_3925.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

IMG_3927.jpeg

I think you have 2 different springs. One looks like 4 full turns and the other is 5.
Screenshot_20240427-194324.png
Screenshot_20240427-194251.png

Are the parts numbers on the springs the same? Did they have the same length sitting on your bench prior to installation? Something's not right.

I think it’s just the way the spring was clocked on the strut. Here’s a recent photo with them adjusted the same. Also they have the same part number.

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

Something's up with that passenger side spring would be my guess. The angle of the coils seems very different

1714272318326.png

Swap the springs side to side. That'll tell you real quick.

Jack the rear up in the center and see if its the front causing the lean. And then do the same for the front. Could be torsion adjustment in the front.

It's very possible that the spring was marked wrong from the factory. It happens once in a while. RMS will probably make good on it.

Your drivetrain is offset to the passenger side so there will be more weight on the passenger side requiring more pre-load. However, lowering / raising the height on the drivers side front (torsion bar or coil over spring) will also effect the height of the passenger rear.

Welcome to 4-bar 101

What Denny says. This was a head scratcher for me also when I built my triangulated 4 link. My passenger side was lower but after I got the front squared with the t-bars it leveled out. But I have to say that yours looks a little extreme with the coilover jacked up that far and you’re still not able to level it out.

Jack the rear up in the center and see if its the front causing the lean. And then do the same for the front. Could be torsion adjustment in the front.
its got coil overs up front too. The passenger side is an 1/8th low.

Your drivetrain is offset to the passenger side so there will be more weight on the passenger side requiring more pre-load. However, lowering / raising the height on the drivers side front (torsion bar or coil over spring) will also effect the height of the passenger rear.

Welcome to 4-bar 101
thank you for the info, front is on coil overs too. Passenger side it up 1/8th I’ll level that out and pull the rear springs to compare and see what we’ve got. Also there’s no engine or transmission in the car at the moment.

Ok, I’ve adjusted the front to both read 38 3/4 and the both rear coil overs are set exactly the same and the measurement I ended up with was 34 1/4 on the passenger rear and 34 3/8 on the drivers rear. That’s not really enough to worry about is it? Just give the passenger rear coil over a turn or two and send it?

-
Back