Roadkill Zip Tie Drags Tucson

-

74Dart318

Reaction score
Anybody else go to the Roadkill Zip Tie Drags this weekend in Tucson? It was pretty fun. Ton of people and great cars. Here are some of my pics.

0119181745b_HDR.jpg

0119181814.jpg

0119181942.jpg

0120181006a_HDR.jpg

0120181019.jpg

0120181303a.jpg

0120181300.jpg

0120181112.jpg

0120181111.jpg

0120181109.jpg

0120181105.jpg

Looks cool.

I heard it was really windy and got rained out. Sucks for those that traveled. Had a buddy their ready to run the track and the rain came down. Drove all that way and just got wet! :)

Looks cool.

I heard it was really windy and got rained out. Sucks for those that traveled. Had a buddy their ready to run the track and the rain came down. Drove all that way and just got wet! :)

I wanted to go to that, but considering it's a 3.5 hr drive and the weather sucked I skipped it.

But it NEVER rains in Arizona. Like my last 2 trips for The Wild West Shootout in San Tan Valley :rofl:

That blown Cuda is sure an attention getter

Yeah agreed. The weather was super windy and then the rain came on Saturday. Of course it hasn't been that way on weekend for a while but when this is planned it happens haha.

It was a crazy turn out. Lots of great cars and great people.

I went with my grandson. His first car event! Had a blast.
Early 90s Budweiser Warm Up Famoso week before Winternationals. I took my 5 or 6 year old daughter. ALL the top teams were there. Remember when it was Winston Drag Racing? Buy a pack of Winstons, get a free Winston Drag Racing t-shirt. Fog was the usual fog in Bakersfield at that time, just barely see across the track. Gave the daughter a Sharpie, put the t-shirt on her, told her to go get herself signed. Off like a shot she was. I followed her around to all the fuel cars, she knew right where to go. Amatto, Prudhome, Force, Densham, Blaine Johnson, she was covered. Drivers seemed to just love it too. She slept in that t-shirt for weeks, couldn't get it off her to wash it.

Looks cool.

That would be me. :lol: By the time I was ready to go on Saturday the wind was pretty bad. Blowing sand across the track. They switched from. 1/4 to 1/8 at this time. Then, I got in the lanes and sat. FOR 3.5 HOURS!! I guess they had to drag the track every few cars.
Once I finally got to the starting line, it started raining......:drama:
With all that being said, I would still highly recommend one of the roadkill events. Those guys are great. I got to hang out with them afterward as a friend of mine works for them.
Once they called the race due to rain, Freiburger and Finnegan stood in the rain for several hours, chatting with the fans, signing autographs and pounding beers. There was even an impromptu burnout session in the parking lot. I was really impressed. They could have easily gone back to the hotel and stayed warm and dry.
At the hotel, I got to have dinner and bs with Steve Dulcich from roadkill garage. Great guy. We own identical 70 340 swingers.
I was bummed that I didn't get to run, but still had a great time. Those guys know how to put on a fun event. Can't recommend it enough.

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

Last edited:
Man, I wish they would throw one at Pomona. Probably too $$$ for that track.

Man, I wish they would throw one at Pomona. Probably too $$$ for that track.

Me too! I've always wondered why Pomona doesn't do any local stuff. I'm guessing it's money? I'd love to be able to drive over there on the weekends and race.

Im guessing because it hosts the winter Nationals and the Superbowl of Drag racing (Auto Club NHRA Finals) that they dont want some $25 scrub to take out a wall.

We went. Built a duster in a week. Made a 1500 mile road trip only to get stuck in the staging lanes for 4 hours. Still had a great time in spite of the actual event.

-
Back