Rough park or neutral to drive engagement on 904

-

azaustin

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My '65 Dart GT has the 904 Torqueflite with the 235hp 273 engine. The engagement is rough when shifting from Park to Drive, or Neutral to Drive. The lowest I can get the idle adjusted to is around 650-700rpm. I have seen some specifications that show the idle should be as low as 475-500 rpm for the V8 automatic combination. I don't think the car should "jump" like it does even with my higher idle setting. The transmission works perfectly otherwise. I don't know a lot about this transmission, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

First thing is to check your U joints for play in them, as this can cause harsh engagement.
(especially like going from forward into reverse or vise versa)

U-joints are good. It feels like engaging at too much rpm, I don't think the rpm are the problem.

Thanks!

650 idle rpm shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if someone blocked the accumulator in the trans? Does it shift real firm into 2nd gear like it has a shift improver kit installed? Blocking the accumulator in the trans is a popular 1-2 shift firmness improvement but if you have a stock converter it's not a good idea cause there's not enough cushion. I do it on transmissions that are using a high stall converter cause the converter slips enough to cushion things. If the 1-2 shift seems like a stock trans my other guess would be a problem within the torque converter.

650 idle rpm shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if someone blocked the accumulator in the trans? Does it shift real firm into 2nd gear like it has a shift improver kit installed? Blocking the accumulator in the trans is a popular 1-2 shift firmness improvement but if you have a stock converter it's not a good idea cause there's not enough cushion. I do it on transmissions that are using a high stall converter cause the converter slips enough to cushion things. If the 1-2 shift seems like a stock trans my other guess would be a problem within the torque converter.
The transmission seems to shift well and work normally once it is in gear. Thanks for your response.

I don't think the car should "jump" like it does even with my higher idle setting.

What rear end? Some old, partly worn out 7 1/4 rears have the dreaded clunk when going into gear, especially when going into reverse. That would be accentuated with a slightly higher RPM.

What rear end? Some old, partly worn out 7 1/4 rears have the dreaded clunk when going into gear, especially when going into reverse. That would be accentuated with a slightly higher RPM.
The rear end is original, however it clunks going either way, from Park into gear, or neutral into gear. Not so much a "clunk" as a "jump" much as if the rpm were too high, but I don't think a couple of hundred rpm should make that much difference, and I'm not sure the specs are necessarily correct for the 235hp engine. 500 rpm is a low idle for any engine, and the 235hp has a hotter cam and much higher compression than the two-barrel engine. Once the car is in gear it runs, drives, and shifts smoothly.

-
Back