"Save my bacon" on p/s pump rebuild?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering and Chassis' started by Bill Crowell, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Bill Crowell

Bill Crowell Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:50 PM
    I am trying to learn how to rebuild the Saginaw model .94 power steering pump. On the one I reassembled today, I have about 1/8" of end play on the pump shaft. It doesn't seem like it had this much end play before, but I could be wrong. Is this too much end play? If so, can you kindly suggest what I might have done wrong in reassembling it?

No parts were left over.

Thanks very much.

2. pishta

pishta It's a gift....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    can you correct it with the press on pulley?

3. Bill Crowell

Local Time:
    The pulley is now pressed on so that the end of the pump shaft is flush with the pulley. Should I try to press the pulley on further, so that the end of the pump shaft will be somewhat proud of the pulley?

4. Faster74

Faster74 Banned

Local Time:
    2:50 PM
    i have a 74 duster, with saginaw pump and the end of the shaft does stick thru the pulley about 1/8 inch, and if you look behind the pulley it should be flush against a stop on the shaft,

5. RedFish

RedFish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    I aint awake and coffeed up yet but I know there's a plate and a spring pushing everything forward. The veins aren't pinched but there shouldn't be a lot of space for fluid to pass their square ends either. I would say .02 shaft travel is normal but I don't know exactly what is acceptable. An eighth inch sure doesn't sound right. If there was that much travel, the groove worn by the shaft seal would be wide too. Maybe a long pin got in a shallow hole, or isn't in a hole? Honestly... A whole pot of coffee wouldn't help me help you ( Not enough recent experience ). I would need to go take a pump a apart and try to recreate a similar condition.

6. pishta

pishta It's a gift....

View My Photos
    Local Time:
    Faster74 that may be the answer. press it on more.....Put a .02 feeler gauge back there and them press it on for Redfish's spec.

7. Bill Crowell

Local Time:
    Pishta, Faster74 and Redfish, thank you very much for your help.

I was able to press the pulley on farther by using a big washer that would go over the end of the pump shaft. I wasn't aware that you had to do that. Now I know. "Live and don't learn", that's my motto!

I pressed it on until it spins freely but there is no discernible end play. I hope that will be OK, but do you think I should pull it off a tiny bit to try to get that .02" that Redfish is calling for? I'm thinking it will probably loosen up a bit in use anyway.

It will be a minor miracle if the pump works and doesn't leak after I've had my greasy mitts on it, but I'll be dipped if I can't learn to do a better job than the rebuild outfits do these days!

Would you guys like a follow-up report after the moment of truth?

8. RedFish

RedFish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:50 PM
    The ".02" wasn't meant to be a setup specification for any and every pump. Good luck with it.