"Save my bacon" on p/s pump rebuild?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I am trying to learn how to rebuild the Saginaw model .94 power steering pump. On the one I reassembled today, I have about 1/8" of end play on the pump shaft. It doesn't seem like it had this much end play before, but I could be wrong. Is this too much end play? If so, can you kindly suggest what I might have done wrong in reassembling it?

No parts were left over.

Thanks very much.

can you correct it with the press on pulley?
The pulley is now pressed on so that the end of the pump shaft is flush with the pulley. Should I try to press the pulley on further, so that the end of the pump shaft will be somewhat proud of the pulley?

i have a 74 duster, with saginaw pump and the end of the shaft does stick thru the pulley about 1/8 inch, and if you look behind the pulley it should be flush against a stop on the shaft,

I aint awake and coffeed up yet but I know there's a plate and a spring pushing everything forward. The veins aren't pinched but there shouldn't be a lot of space for fluid to pass their square ends either. I would say .02 shaft travel is normal but I don't know exactly what is acceptable. An eighth inch sure doesn't sound right. If there was that much travel, the groove worn by the shaft seal would be wide too. Maybe a long pin got in a shallow hole, or isn't in a hole? Honestly... A whole pot of coffee wouldn't help me help you ( Not enough recent experience ). I would need to go take a pump a apart and try to recreate a similar condition.

Faster74 that may be the answer. press it on more.....Put a .02 feeler gauge back there and them press it on for Redfish's spec.

Pishta, Faster74 and Redfish, thank you very much for your help.

I was able to press the pulley on farther by using a big washer that would go over the end of the pump shaft. I wasn't aware that you had to do that. Now I know. "Live and don't learn", that's my motto!

I pressed it on until it spins freely but there is no discernible end play. I hope that will be OK, but do you think I should pull it off a tiny bit to try to get that .02" that Redfish is calling for? I'm thinking it will probably loosen up a bit in use anyway.

It will be a minor miracle if the pump works and doesn't leak after I've had my greasy mitts on it, but I'll be dipped if I can't learn to do a better job than the rebuild outfits do these days!

Would you guys like a follow-up report after the moment of truth?

The ".02" wasn't meant to be a setup specification for any and every pump. Good luck with it.

-
Back