Seating a Three on The Tree

-

Chuckman

Reaction score
I have a 225 slant six with a 3 on the tree in my 66 Valiant. We just rebuilt the motor and put in back in, any tricks for getting the tranny to line up to reinstall it?

I cut the heads off a couple of bolts to match the big bell house bolts. Then I grind a couple of flats on them, to accept a wrench. Next I screw those into the freshly cleaned threads, on the back of the block. I usually have the tranny hung on the T-bars by a thin board, to put it at a working angle.
I also use an engine tilter, on a traveling crane or engine hoist. Without that, this job is a PITA. Then I drop the engine in close, slip the pins into the bellhouse, and I'm home-free.Oh yeah, make sure the TC is all the way in the bellhouse.

Oops you said three on the Tree, didn't you? In that case it's way,waaay easier to just drop the tranny. Lining up the clutch, is wicked hard. And if you bend the disc you will be taking it apart again.
But if you have a tilter and a travelling hoist, then I would remove the engine brackets, and give er ell like same as above,'cept ignore the TC stuff.
If you install the bellhouse onto the engine, it is much harder to bend the disc. But make sure the tranny is in high gear, and that the output shaft is able to be turned;ie; the driveshaft is off or at least one rear wheel is able to be turned. If you have a suregrip,the both rear wheels will need to be up.Alternatively, if the tranny splines will not enter the clutch splines, you can push the entire car forward, about an inch or two, and the splines may slip over ok. But you better keep an eye on the engine to keep it straight to the vehicle centerline, and to also keep the crank ant tranny input on the same thrust line.If the tranny input is not parallel to the floor when you begin your assault, the engine height will need to be adjusted slightly as the marriage proceeds.
The more I think about it, for a newbe, I think it might be best to slam the tranny in last,after the engine is home on the mounts, and blocked up sorta level. That A903 is not that heavy. And an A230 s only a bit more.Shoot, you're most of the way there already.

-
Back