Show Your Big Block A body!

-
Me either as far as lift goes. Did it in my standard garage with the hood open a bit no issue! The hoist lifted up the body and the rest rolled under. You do not have to lift the body as high as one may think. Try it some time saves lots of time bending over the fenders bolting stuff on.

20160612_172619.jpg

View attachment 1715032555 I used the wooden creeper I built waaay back in high school and set the complete 440 727 k member and steering box on it and slid it under and eased the car down over it till I had the room to pull it up into place with the cherry picker. Even left the hood on.
Uhh.....You can even have the headers bolted on tight too.....

Hard thing to grasp sometimes, but if you try it you will understand just how much easier it is!
One thing to point out to them is that usually they are dubious to having the front of their car way up in the air but until they try it, they don't understand that after the K-frame, engine, exhaust, radiator, transmission etc. is removed, what remains ahead of the firewall weighs practically nothing. Two strong guys can easily pick the front of the car up and when maneuvering it back down over the powertrain you can push it about with a finger. My two younger brothers do this by themselves (and I think they prefer it that way) on 440 and Hemi A-bodies with show quality paint.

One thing to point out to them is that usually they are dubious to having the front of their car way up in the air but they don't understand that after the K-frame, engine, exhaust, radiator, transmission etc. is removed, what remains ahead of the firewall weighs practically nothing. Two strong guys can easily pick the front of the car up and when maneuvering it back down over the powertrain you can push it about with a finger.

Totally agree! I did it with the wife.

I moved mine on Dolley wheels from USCAR tools with one hand. Fabbed a lifting bracket for the front dolly that really made it a snap!

Last edited:
Totally agree! I did it with the wife.

I moved mine on Dolley wheels from USCAR tools with one hand. Fabbed a lifting bracket for the the front dolly that really made it a snap!

My son (12 at the time) and I installed the engine in the garage using two furniture dollies, a pair of jack stands and a floor jack. Same way we pulled the engine. You roll the assembly under, line everything up, and lower the body with the floor jack. Hood on of course.
DSC06524.JPG

I place the rear wheels on 6" ramps....only need the front 30" high to get my assembled Hemi (minus valve covers and carb), transmission, and GV under the chassis. Started installing from the bottom in the early 90's after noticing in a photo that is it was the way it was done at the factory.

I place the rear wheels on 6" ramps....only need the front 30" high to get my assembled Hemi (minus valve covers and carb), transmission, and GV under the chassis. Started installing from the bottom in the early 90's after noticing in a photo that is it was the way it was done at the factory.

Before even the fancy store-bought ramps.....just some blocks under the rear wheels and the hood still on.
You'll notice that Denny's car isn't all that high while Dave and I slide the Hemi under (Denny on the hoist).

scan0031.jpg

scan0030.jpg

scan0032.jpg

scan0036.jpg

Before even the fancy store-bought ramps.....just some blocks under the rear wheels and the hood still on.
You'll notice that Denny's car isn't all that high while Dave and I slide the Hemi under (Denny on the hoist).

View attachment 1715046010

That sure does not very look high! Sooooo easy! Love the drum brakes!

Last edited:
I thought this would be a good section for people to show off there big block A body.

There are alot of different ways to install one, and different options you can bolt on, so It would be a great place for people to pan through and look at a selection of Big Block A bodies, and pick and choose how they would like to make their car look like.

So here is a pic of my 1970 duster 440, 4spd, suregrip.lock

Is that a peformer RPM intake? I always heard a performer rpm would NOT clear the hood of an A-body with RB block unless it had a hood scoop.....?

lastpics003.jpg

lastpics002.jpg

lastpics001.jpg

More pics if you need them.

Now come on Guys...SHow off your Big Block A body!

Phil

:burnout:

I guess I can post here finally:

image28-3.JPG

This is where my 67 Dart GTS currently sits. Engine and 4 speed trans installed. need to get the electrical system, cooling and exhaust systems hooked up so I can put fire to it

Car is perfect man! Any chance you can send me a pm with wheel and tire specs? Like to see a couple pics of your fender well headers and how you have them set up. Thanks Jeff
sorry it took so long to reply, i havent been on here in forever. the front tires are 14x6 cragars with a 185/75r14 i believe. the rear is 15x10 cragars with 40yr old N50's. the rear springs are mopar ss springs. i just posted a pic of the car in the mopar discussion page as it sits currently with the new side pipes.

-
Back