Slant 6 - 360 Swap?

-

sporty76

Sporty76
Reaction score
Okay, so I know this might not be the best place to post this question, and I don't have anything against the slant 6. To each their own, right? But...

I previously had a Dart Sport 360. And I loved it. Unfortunately I don't own it any longer. And probably for the best as their were a few problems with it that made it a less than ideal project car.

BUT... I found a much better project car. It is another 76 Dart Sport. And I think I'm going to buy it and pick up where I left off. Only one problem, its a slant 6!!
I don't have anything particular against the engine, I just happen to be partial to the 360. I love the engine and if I buy another dart I want it to be a 360. Hence my issue. I already had an engine lined up to swap into my dart until it went away. With that in mind, how hard is it to swap out the slant 6 with a 360. Are the transmissions the same? Will it bolt right in? Or am I in for enough work that I should just find a Dart with a 360/318 already in it?

Like I said, its not that I have anything against the slant 6. They're very cool engines, just not the one I want to build into this project. All advice is much appreciated. And if there is a better forum to post this in please let me know and I will attempt to repost it! Thanks guys! And here's to all of us A-Body guys, whatever your engine, you clearly have good taste in cars!

how hard is it to swap out the slant 6 with a 360.

EASY!

Are the transmissions the same?

NO, You'll need a small block tranny.

Will it bolt right in?

After the Mods, yep, easy

Or am I in for enough work that I should just find a Dart with a 360/318 already in it?

That would be even easier to do and save $160 in the engineswaps.com swap mounts that I used. No need for tranny mount swap or MOD, it'll fit the S/B tranny no problem.

Click the link below to see what the K frame mod to the drivers engine pearch will be.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=3

This was a simple job to do.

Okay, follow up question...

With the conversion kit, will it look like a conversion, or would it look like a stock option 360?

I looked at the kit and it seems reasonable enough, im just starting to wonder about how it'll look all said and done. Anyone done this conversion? Maybe with pics?

-
Back