speedo question

-

mrsmothers

Reaction score
I need a cable for my 65 barracuda with a later model a833 od. The part store keeps giving me the one that screws on both sides . Mine has a plug that goes in to the tail shaft and held in by a bolt .Do I need an adaptor or do I just have the wrong cable.

You might need to have a custom cable made. I once had a inst' panel customer who bought a 70 model Demon. The previous owner had put a early A 4 speed under it. He had a custom cable made. If he told me who/where , I forgot.

IMAG0312.jpg
IMAG0316.jpg
IMAG0315.jpg

That painted red speedo gear housing doesn't look "later model" to me. So now I'm wondering what info you are providing to the vendors.

That hole in the floor wasn't my doing just in case y'all are wondering what horrible thing happen to my floor pan lol.

That "clamp" in the first picture does not hold the cable on it is to hold the spedo housing in loosen it up and put the tabs into the groves might solve the problem for you.

If it does not go on take a pic with the cable off and post it.

I have to ask how are y'all getting the cable out of the housings I have pulled I have twisted I have cussed ..... And that my friends was my noob question of the day.

So I have to take the housing off and disconnect the inner cable from inside the housing ?

Lets start at the beginning. What exactly are you trying to do?

My cable broke and the speedo stopped working .The inner cable broke right behind the gauges so I was trying to put a new cable in . I got the old cable un screwed from the dash now I am trying to get it in hooked from the trans.

I grew up a Chevy guy this is my first mopar. So I am having a small learning curve on some things.

OK Tha clamp on the trans loosen up and put the ears in the slots then it should unscrew. If it broke right behind the spedo make sure that little square from the inner cable is out of the spedo. Also before you put the new one on the spedo make sure the spedo is free and turns. Make sense?

OK Tha clamp on the trans loosen up and put the ears in the slots then it should unscrew. If it broke right behind the spedo make sure that little square from the inner cable is out of the spedo. Also before you put the new one on the spedo make sure the spedo is free and turns. Make sense?
yes I will try it when I get home in a few hours and let y'all know if it comes out.

This is the sliver ring I am referring to its slid down the cable just kinda hanging there
IMAG0316.jpg

That screws on to the back of the spedo it could be wrong some have a plastic clip on end. You have threads on the back of the spedo?

The ends of the inner strand of the cable are ground to be square in shape. Line them up with the square holes in the trans and speedo for proper engagement...

The cable had the rings on both ends one was hooked to the speedo the other was by the trans just hanging there and I don't see any male threads on the speed gear housing.

That screws on to the back of the spedo it could be wrong some have a plastic clip on end. You have threads on the back of the spedo?
The white plastic clip at instrument end appeared in 1968.

-
Back