Speedometer cable

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I got a replacement speedo cable from oreilly 's however the trans end on the cable I got was not large enough to screw onto the tailshaft housing.

I know these are year specific, does anyone know what years had the "larger" end for the trans?

I have a 70 dart, 340/904 but used to be /6 car. something tells me that this trans isn't from the same year.

Thanks again.

Tracy (fishy68) might know what the year change was.
All I remember is there was two different sizes.

Sorry

I had this problem too... As I was working on my Dart, my friend broke my speedo cable when unhooking it. I bought a replacement from either rockauto or Pep Boys and it ended up being the wrong one.

No. I never had time to check. I still have my old and new one in the garage somewhere.

Had the same problem. Never found a big end cable.
Here's what I did...
Took a cutoff wheel to the NEW (wrong)cable end and split it down its side and slid it off the cable. Took the OLD cable end off by heating it with a heat gun till it slid off the old cable. Drove a punch into the old end carefully to spread the crimps out, slid the old end (after the nut was on...don't forget that!!!!) on the NEW cable and crimped it using some plug wire crimpers. If you crimp it too tight you will deform the inner liner and have to use a drill bit to "clean it out" so the new cable will spin freely...(ask me how I know). The cable bends pretty quick coming off the trans so really not too worried about it pushing out or coming loose from that end anyways.
Remember to lube the new speedo cable with speedo cable lube or white Lithease as they don't normally come lubricated.
Mines been working great...
Just my .02, your results may vary.

Had the same problem with my Duster. Has a non-original 727 (was originally a 4 speed car). The Duster piece had the small threaded end. I found the cable for the 69 Charger was correct with a 7/8"-18 Female end and worked perfectly. Here's the part number for the one I bought from Advance Auto.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/atp-speedometer-cable-03192/5013348-P

Hope this helps,
Pat

-
Back