[WANTED] Spring perch

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the point there folks ,I don't want to cut the old ones off I just want to widen the existing perches by 50 percent on the inboard side then plug weld the old pin hole and drill a new hole so I don't need a jig to do a relocation for offset shackles This way I can do all the prep work before having a mobile welder stop by for 20 minutes of welding . Why buy a pair of new ones for that if someone here has 1 kicking around ?
PS as we say here in Canada "Thanks for coming out tho eh "

I got ya - have to say though, I have done this twice and getting it exactly right required complete removal of the old perches.. there really are no short-cuts to getting it right. I would be interested in knowing if what you are planning works.

It will work , removing and re =-installing is way trickier because as you know you really need a jig fixture to get that right . My success will be all about making it fit right and securing it in the right spot so the welder can't mess it up if he tried .

sorry for the price of new ones and the likelihood of finding a single one, I thought it would be helpful to suggest buying new. plus maybe you weren't aware they are avaiable from your dodge dealer.
Also not quite sure how you are planning to put the u-bolts on with extra wide perches you are building.

$12? Damn inflation! I seem to remember when they were $8-$9. Or am I just being cheap? ;)

Btw: I may have one in storage but shipping from here doesn't make much sense.
I did that yrs ago, worked fantastic . easy , fast , and no screw ups. that being said, I don`t remember what I did w/ the one I had left, will look.

I believe Cjris wants to widen his existing perches 50%. But that extra 50% he wants to the inboard side? Which would mean cutting them length wise in half, adding meat and rewelding?
I think.....lol
..what am i missing?
Cut them off, reposition and clamp them both... and weld?

Your sort of right there Steve there is no adding meat , I want to add half a perch to the existing whole perch , if I start cutting the old ones off I will need to build a jig fixture to make sure they go back on correctly ,plus that is more welding I have to pay for . My way nothing moves it just get bigger by 50% on the inboard side and I drill a new locator hole 5/8 inboard of the old one , add offset shackles and front hanger Voila relocated springs with very minimal welding . I know I am not the only person to do it this way ,in fact there are 2 people in this thread already that have done it themselves and hopefully one of them will find his leftover perch and sell it to me . I have checked the dealer in the past regarding the kits and the individual parts that are in the kits and have been told they are out of stock with no scheduled restock .

Naw no need Steve if someone doesn't have one here I can probably get one from DusterGlenn , he has a couple of old housings he isn't using , thats where I got this spare 1 from , good trade a pair of 360 LA heads for the housing straight up , I know he has all the backing plates and brake hardware as well but I don't know what else I want to trade from my parts pile eh LOL . Thanks for offering tho bud cheers

No prob Chris. I chkd Nigels site and P4120074 is the # I believe. $20 each.
I know the feeling of selling from your pile.
Cheers back bud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back