SS Springs on 75 Duster

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Trying to remember what the pinion angle to use with SS springs....I am wanting to believe it was like 5 degrees nose down...

Got Solid aluminum front eye bushing going it also.....

Dropping 7 1/4 inserting 8 3/4 hopefully this weekend if all the small parts get here.

That's right Tony. Mopar book says 5-7 nose down.

If driving on the street at all, that's where I would start. May want a bunch more...

how about if it is not being driven on the street only at the track....more nose down?

Nah, try 5

The solid front eyes will stop a lot of the need for additional down angle. Missed that first time around.

I set mine down 5 degrees down. I have SS springs and slide a links. Also Viking double adj shocks. Goes straight as an arrow and not a vibe at all. Kim

Still waiting on a bunch of small parts...axles seals...housing studs...studs for axle ends...solid aluminum eye bushings....everything should be here on friday.....

Using a stock length A body 8 3/4 that has been sitting in the shed for many years...came with ladder bar brackets and floater for the springs....used grinder to get rid of floater hardware....not sure I am going to cut the ladder bar brackets off yet...anyway....

Have had these 002/003 springs for over 10 yrs....they had very short lives on a Dart and Duster. Got the 3 way CE rear shocks....all left over parts....
It pays never to throw anything away...

old 7 1/4 hanging by a couple of bolts...roll the old one out....roll the new one in...

20180124_173341_resized.jpg

20180124_173351_resized.jpg

20180124_173358_resized.jpg

Dropped the 7 1/4 rear end this morning...complete rolled it out of the garage...maybe some one will steal it tonight....or might be heading for the recycle yard...
Removed the rubber spring eye bushing on the SS springs...drill and air chisel made fast work of those....Hammered in the new solid aluminum bushing...a little wd40 helps..
Got the spring perches welded onto the 8 3/4 housing.....gotta touch up the paint on the housing...and drill n tap for a drain plug...
Paint front hangars...got them glass beaded this afternoon....
Need to have this Duster able to roll again in couple of days as attention is going back to 71 Dart as heads will be back next weekend.

LOL
Your pic's allway make my eyes see something that is just not there.
See that rubber mallet in the picture? erase the wooden handle from the picture.
That's what i saw at first glance, thinking Why the HUGE BUMP Stop, on the SS Springs?............then i saw it was a rubber mallet :lol:Yeah i know :realcrazy: :)

Enjoying reading this, but am a little confused.
I know what pinion angle is.....
Would you guys mind explaining 5 degrees down??
I put SS Springs on my Demon and will have them bolted in as the stock ones came out.
Is this good/bad?
I assume the angled wedges would come into play if needed?
Thanks all.

Got the SS springs and rear housing in the car....replaced the axle seals....got the new bolts in the housing..CE shocks....

I drilled the housing for a drain plug but could not find a 1/8 NPT tap to thread it. So tomorrow go pick one up.....get it tapped and plugged.

Then third member and axles can go in....and I got the brake drums and backing plates left over from one of the other cars...

Black paint...lol

20180128_153433_resized.jpg

Got the left over doctor diff axles...4.30 with spool...and brake assemblies for the rear out of shed today....beautiful day today....

Going to slam it all together tomorrow during another low 70s day.....after I tap the housing for a drain plug....

found a box of left over open ended lug nuts and should be able to get the 9 x 28 M/T on it so it is movable again..

Another beautiful day......Out in the garage...

Got the third member in...axles and backing plates....and mounted the 15 x 28 tires on it...

20180130_182413_resized.jpg

20180130_182128_resized.jpg

20180130_182058_resized.jpg

We pushed the 75 duster out of the garage today.......the rear drum brakes are a little tight...will need to adjust them later...the spool let us know it was there went we turned .....this project is on the back burner until i get 2 other cars ready to race.....

Going to push this Duster back into the garage this week and get ready to remove the slant 6 and k member so we can get the 360/904 in it...

Moving on to the front of the car....pulled the slant 6 out friday afternoon....now i need to get it out of the way for the 360......well...k member is going to get swapped out...new front end parts...and got a couple of cans of Vintage Red Poly E-9 (1975) to repaint engine bay....after MATS this weekend...one more race in early June then nothing until Sept as the track shut down for its Summer Vacation.

20180419_172644_resized.jpg

almost two weeks later....and no broken cars from MATS.....got that dam /6 out of the way....

dropped all the front end off the car yesterday....K member included......

got upper control arms that i bought several years ago from someone on FABO,,,,Dillinger had made them....got them bolted on today...

Going to water blast the K member that going back on tomorrow..have a set of rebuild lower Control arms...and all new tie rods...pittman arm...idler am and ball joints.....

Hopefully to have front tires back on it by the end of the weekend....so I can push it out of the garage and clean engine bay....and paint it with that beautiful vintage red poly..LOL

started to put front end back together...cleaned and painted the V8 k member..and got it bolted in....steering boxed bolted on...pitman arm..idler arm...got the lower control arms on...Torsion bars back in place....RMS strut rods on ....

then the problem...thought i had a set of 73 and newer disc spindles...nope...but remembered i had 69 Dart i was parting out...and it does...so going to use all the brake parts off that car as they are in great shape....moving forward....

got the front end back together....hub...rotors...calipers and drag lites back on...car now on all 4s again...

and again...went to swap out master cylinder which I do have but not the adapter...used it on my daughters 63 station wagon...now waiting on parts again....

going to scrub and repaint engine bay original colors...

working the night shift again...a few more days....milling and paving on Las vegas blvd in front of Nellis AFB....

You sir have an insane passion for those A bodies.

try buying an E body for a couple thousands that runs....has no rust...

Ha, I have 3 E bodies.
Parts cars are more than 2K

picked up some 2 x 3 square tubing...20 ft cost 44 bucks... plus some 1 x 1 square tubing...
In less then 2 hours had frame connectors made.....will weld them on in the morning....plus made brackets for fuel cell in trunk...

20180525_164552_resized.jpg

20180525_164611_resized.jpg

Did not get the frame rails welded today....but got the fuel cell mount done....
my floor is a mess...need to clean it up before I set car back down on the jack stands to weld frames in.....but as I say...get something done everyday...

I only got another week or so until I have to abandon this project again for awhile....we have one more race on Jun 3...then down for the summer until Sept....
I will be working on the 71 Duster Mean Green Machine....gets a new Dana and 408 engine...
Never a Dull moment around here...LOL

-
Back