"stall converters". Is it just me?

-

d55dave

Reaction score
Is it just my or does it bug anyone else when people say "it has a stall converter in it" or "I want to put a stall converter in it"?

Come on people. All torque converters have a stall speed. This is the speed (engine rpm) that the engine it is bolted to cannot pass through if the transmission output is not turning. It is a factor of how "loose" the converter is and how much hp/torque the engine makes.

You want to say "it has a performance or higher stall speed than stock torque converter" or "I want to put a performance torque converter in it".

My pet peeve for tbe day LOL.

Specially if this stall converter is in a black engine and has a posi 8.75 behind it

The stall of this forum bothers me a LOT more than anything typed here.

Oh brother. If that bothers you I think you need professional help. :)

^^THIS^^ It's just slang. I'm 69, "they" were using that term when I first got interested as a kid. There is worse today.....

"Cambered............." fer xample.........

.. There is worse today.....

Everyone is getting in on it....
landscape-1461702220-595e1dbc-7c25-44af-8717-5d8d08c0be8a-bmw-racing-wheelchair-02.jpg
[/QUOTE]

^^THIS^^ It's just slang. I'm 69, "they" were using that term when I first got interested as a kid. There is worse today.....

That is by far the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Can't imagine the stresses put on the wheels, tires, and suspension.

Goes right along with that 3/4 race cam I got! Oh ya, don't forget about the Eldebrock intake.

It doesn't bother me as bad as the Chevy math that's out there, +25hp for roller rockers, + 20hp for headers, +20hp for the Eldebrock intake, +20hp for the 3310 double pumper........ camelhumps and a Duntov 30/30. 500 horse 327 it is....:poke:

How about those "stahl" converters, right there with your guitar & amp that comes with "chords".

For sell.

Must sale.

My lost youre gaine.

No different than somebody asking if it has a "cam in it". Obviously it has a cam because it's running. C'mon, we know what they mean. Do they have to say "does it have an aftermarket high stall in it"? Because some factory converters were "high stalls". How hard do you want to make it? Language is a form of communication, and if you know what they mean, it worked.

No different than somebody asking if it has a "cam in it". Obviously it has a cam because it's running. C'mon, we know what they mean. Do they have to say "does it have an aftermarket high stall in it"? Because some factory converters were "high stalls". How hard do you want to make it? Language is a form of communication, and if you know what they mean, it worked.
No..stall is a measurement not a part.
The best way to praise it, is that it has a "blankblank-hundred RPM converter"
As soon as someone drops the "stall converter" line on me, I automatically write them off as a ******* idiot, and nothing they say afterwards will carry any weight in our conversation.

you mean 3/4 cam, right?

Back in the wonder years (when I was even dumber than I am now), I raced a guy whose had a 3/4 cam, pop-up pistons and a stall converter.. Motor was built by AJ Floyd.. His car wasn't very fast but it sure was funny to listen to him talk about it!

People ask me about my cuda, and then they proceed to tell me about their brother/cousin/neighbor who used to have a 383 hemi with two four barrels and a stall convertor that pulled the front wheels on the street. I just smile and move on.

UPS driver did it the other day. Saw the Scamp in the shop.
"Is that a Roadrunner?"
Nope. A Scamp. Plymouths version of a Dart.
"My uncle had a Roadrunner with a 400."
Cool man. Thanks.
SMH.....

-
Back