Stall convertors for the 904

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has suggestions on stall convertors for the 904 transmission. I need one for a non-lockup style 1970 transmission. Ill be looking somewhere around 2500-2800 stall but would like to contact the company first to verify what will be best for my situation. But anyways is there any brand or brands that you guys prefer for quality and customer service?? Any specific place that is better to purchase them other than mancini/summit/jegs?

Hi,

i got a converter for my 904 from Edge Performance, good performance so far. I´ve had good results with of the shelf Turbo Action converters, but there are also another very good companies available: PTC, Dynamic for example. Most of them need a spec sheet from your combination and will build a converter that´s a good fit.

Michael

Any specific place that is better to purchase them other than mancini/summit/jegs?

i just put one from dynamic in jamies dart. not cheap but man does it work...

as for good companies go. top three would be (in no particular order) :

dynamic
PTC
ultimate

all three will build ya one for you engine combo/intended usage. you just need to be 100% honest with the answers to their questions. my latest one is intended for a car that may see the track once every 5 years if that. the car is pure street car and needs to cruise the highway more then anything else. its supposed to flash to like 3500 (if i remember correctly) but will be efficient on the street with a 3.23 gear. i can say it works awesome with the 2.94 gears that are in the car now.

the converter can and will make or break the car. get the right converter and it will be a lot more enjoyable experience for you in the long run.

Ulimate converter..Lenny is the "best" in the business...

i just put one from dynamic in jamies dart. not cheap but man does it work...

as for good companies go. top three would be (in no particular order) :

dynamic
PTC
ultimate

all three will build ya one for you engine combo/intended usage. you just need to be 100% honest with the answers to their questions. my latest one is intended for a car that may see the track once every 5 years if that. the car is pure street car and needs to cruise the highway more then anything else. its supposed to flash to like 3500 (if i remember correctly) but will be efficient on the street with a 3.23 gear. i can say it works awesome with the 2.94 gears that are in the car now.

the converter can and will make or break the car. get the right converter and it will be a lot more enjoyable experience for you in the long run.
I absolutely would not choose Ultimate, the first converter in my car was purchased from them, it leaked from the initial start up.......pulled trans and put a new pump seal in it thinking how could a brand new converter be the problem???? Still leaked the same, pulled trans again and put new pump bushing in it and decided while it was out to pressurize the converter with air and leak check it with soapy water........had 2 pin holes where the input hub was welded on which obviously means he doesn't leak check them before leaving his shop. To make matters worse I also noticed a couple crack on the base of the input hub and sent the converter back to him and he called me and told me that he thought he was getting a 1 piece hub from his vendor but instead it was a 2 piece so he was going to get a true 1 piece from another vendor. All good and fine except that he charged me for the new hub because of his choice of vendors and that should have been resolved between him and his vendor, not my fault. I mean I already had to pull the trans twice, plus the cost of fluid and so forth. That was my experience and after getting a great converter with great customer service from A1 I will use nobody else from this point on.

I'm running a PTC
i believe cost was about 500 shipped to MI and it does great
if i drive the car like a normal person it will creep away at idle
but when i get on it it will flash to 3200 and break the rear end loose

I absolutely would not choose Ultimate, the first converter in my car was purchased from them, it leaked from the initial start up.......pulled trans and put a new pump seal in it thinking how could a brand new converter be the problem???? Still leaked the same, pulled trans again and put new pump bushing in it and decided while it was out to pressurize the converter with air and leak check it with soapy water........had 2 pin holes where the input hub was welded on which obviously means he doesn't leak check them before leaving his shop. To make matters worse I also noticed a couple crack on the base of the input hub and sent the converter back to him and he called me and told me that he thought he was getting a 1 piece hub from his vendor but instead it was a 2 piece so he was going to get a true 1 piece from another vendor. All good and fine except that he charged me for the new hub because of his choice of vendors and that should have been resolved between him and his vendor, not my fault. I mean I already had to pull the trans twice, plus the cost of fluid and so forth. That was my experience and after getting a great converter with great customer service from A1 I will use nobody else from this point on.

Really.. your the ONLY person I ever heard having a problem with Ultimate..I;ve been using his converter for 6 seasons no issues what so ever..know several racers who use them too..

Really.. your the ONLY person I ever heard having a problem with Ultimate..I;ve been using his converter for 6 seasons no issues what so ever..know several racers who use them too..
Well I heard good things too which is why I decided to try him, but MY personal experience was not good and I felt like he bent me over because of his and his choice of vendors fault. I just wanted to share my personal experience.

Yea that's the first issue I've ever Heard about them. I called him for mine and he didn't seem interested in my business so I want with dynamic again. Know a few guys running ultimate and they love them. A a bunch running dynamic including myself (they have done two for me now) and love their results.

Just so you guys know Lenny use to build the converters at Dynamic..before going out on his own..

We are using a FTI 9.5" on our 340 stroker/904 combo . It stalls at 2800 and flash stalls at 3600 rpm . Great people . Our 383/727 has a 9" that stalls at 2600 and flashes at 3400 built by A&A trans , Rick Allison . Both are guaranteed and function perfectly . Both A&A and FTI will modify the converter free if not satisfied . Can't go wrong .

[QUOTE="383Scampman] Both A&A and FTI will modify the converter free if not satisfied . Can't go wrong .[/QUOTE]

Most converter makers do..

I'm running a PTC
i believe cost was about 500 shipped to MI and it does great
if i drive the car like a normal person it will creep away at idle
but when i get on it it will flash to 3200 and break the rear end loose

so about that creeping at idle...i kinda zoned out at a light today and left a little pressure of the brake pedal...i almost rolled into (or better said, through and over) the import in front of me

excellent thanks guys, looks like I will be making a couple phone calls in the near future. Trying to finish up the motor bay now before the cold sets in and then ill be on to ordering a convertor. Sounds like a couple good companies to have something custom made, rather than buy something out of a magazine. thanks again
Mark

-
Back