Starter Problem

-

SBeeMan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Powermaster XS starter on my 340 Dart. Been working fine. Today I grounded the battery stud on the relay by accident. Now the starter just clicks and won't spin.
Does the same when jumping the relay with a screwdriver.
Thoughts? Thanks

You may have arced between the battery terminal on the starter too. The burn on the terminal can and does cause loss of conductivity. Take off the cable at the starter and clean it.

Jumper the relay by jumpering the two large bare terminals.

I would start by clipping your voltmeter right to the main large stud on the starter. Jumper around the relay and observe what happens. Does the starter "clunk" once but not crank? Does it "buzz?" And WHILE you have the starter engaged, observe the voltage reading and post back.

If the voltage is very low, the problem is in your cables and terminals

If the voltage is close to battery, the problem is in the starter, and likely just happen-chance that it occured with your relay mishap

Thanks for the info guys. I'll check it this afternoon.
This is on a fresh 340 stroked to 431 ci.,12.3 cr.
Only started 3 times for break in. It spun the motor with ease those 3 times.
Starter came with the car so I have no idea how old it is but was working fine before.

Ok.....I removed & cleaned all connections.
Tested volts @ the starter before jumping the relay 12.46
Jumping relay was the same 12.46
I'm gonna order a new starter and check this one to see if I can fix it for a spare.
Thanks for the help guys.

If you mean you accidentally touched the BATT+ feed to the starter relay (at firewall) to grounded metal, I don't see anyway that could have damaged your starter. You might have damaged the relay if the high current flowed thru its case to gnd. You can jumper the starter's solenoid (inside the starter) by applying +12 V to its stud (smaller stud on starter). You have +12 V available at the big stud on the starter. Some people use a large screwdriver to touch the two together. The solenoid should clunk and its contacts close to power the starter motor.

Bill I dropped a wrench & it grounded the battery feed on the relay about 5 seconds I'd say.

-
Back