Steering

-

cuda620

Reaction score
Im looking for advice on going the other way on my steering. I want to go from manual steering to factory type power steering on my 67 cuda and I'm looking for any advice...? Thanks.

I know the box will mount. But how do I shorter the steering column and can I get the coupler new?

Stay with the manual! I have factory PS, and it is a bit sloppy. I have replaced the PS pump and the PS steering box. I also completely rebuilt the front suspension. Still a bit sloppy. I have been told, many times, that it tended to be like that. Maybe not, but that is what I was told.

contact Feel Firm

I have their Stage 1 box and have no issues with it. I think I still have a PS steering column shaft somewhere.

I put factory power steering in my 67 with a lil 14 inch steering wheel. Love it. Sure there's a little looseness in it ( which was amplified by the OEM steering wheel diameter ). OEM gearbox steering never did feel like the rack and pinion steering we're all use to today. You would need aftermarket to get close to that.
Optimal route would be finding a owner willing to trade power for manual, the column shaft with box coupling, crank pulley, everything.

Yea, I found a guy with a remanufactured gearbox,pump,pitman ,arm, and so way bar for a good price. I have the manual steering now. I'm sure I'll have to get a shorter shaft,and a p.s.coupler somewhere. Plus I'll need to find bolt on or weld on tabs for the sway bar now. Column has to be a manual tranny type because my 67 is auto with a console.

Stay with the manual! I have factory PS, and it is a bit sloppy. I have replaced the PS pump and the PS steering box. I also completely rebuilt the front suspension. Still a bit sloppy. I have been told, many times, that it tended to be like that. Maybe not, but that is what I was told.
Manual is such a drag in parking lots and to parralell park. I have flactory steering and a factory wheel. Moving is fine.

I went manual to a Firmfeel stage 2. Especially with the 4 speed I’d do it again. 14 inch Grant steering wheel. I got a p/s shaft from someone here and put that in my column so had the coupler. Someone here may trade or sell one cheap. Pump and other stuff from rockauto. Brackets from somewhere, not hard to find.

I went manual to a Firmfeel stage 2. Especially with the 4 speed I’d do it again. 14 inch Grant steering wheel. I got a p/s shaft from someone here and put that in my column so had the coupler. Someone here may trade or sell one cheap. Pump and other stuff from rockauto. Brackets from somewhere, not hard to find.
Thanks for the info. Did you change the whole shaft inside or separate it and just do the bottom? Will it still collapse in an accident?

I went with the Borgeson power steering. Get their steering coupler and just cut your shaft off to fit. I believe they even tell you exactly how to do it in their instructions. Been a while.
Lighter, smaller, modern box, and uses OEM pump. Since this is off a newer GM car, it has much better feel than the old '50s-'60s Mopar stuff.

Thanks for the info. Did you change the whole shaft inside or separate it and just do the bottom? Will it still collapse in an accident?
I did the whole shaft. Someone had one complete with the coupler, was not collapsed so just like from the factory. I also put a bearing at the bottom of the column since it was apart. Thread on that here somewhere.

Yea, I found a guy with a remanufactured gearbox,pump,pitman ,arm, and so way bar for a good price. I have the manual steering now. I'm sure I'll have to get a shorter shaft,and a p.s.coupler somewhere. Plus I'll need to find bolt on or weld on tabs for the sway bar now. Column has to be a manual tranny type because my 67 is auto with a console.
OK, so theres a little snap ring above a bearing at the upper end of the column. Remove the snap ring, clean away any rust and burr at the snap ring groove. Entire shaft slides right out the bottom.
If you looked very close at the shafts you would find a nice weld bead around the bottom section. There's about 3 inches difference in the length of those sections. From that weld up they are identical.
I had no clue the little upper bearing was so far gone before spinning the shaft on my workbench. Replaced both bearings.

Do what you want, it's your car. I ditch manual for power Firm Feel Stage 3. Manual sucks. Do you have headers? Others outlined what you need. I have a power steering column shaft and coupler if you want to properly swap out the column shaft from manual to power.

Do what you want, it's your car. I ditch manual for power Firm Feel Stage 3. Manual sucks. Do you have headers? Others outlined what you need. I have a power steering column shaft and coupler if you want to properly swap out the column shaft from manual to power.
How much? Need anything other than bearings? Thanks.

Interested in your power steering steering colosjafy if you still have it. Let me know.

Bill

-
Back