stock windage tray installation question

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I have searched through many of the windage tray posts but can't see this info... I'm buttoning up the bottom end of my 340. Using stock pan and pickup and stock windage tray. However I have used Miloden main studs and their windage tray installation kit. But I can't remember if the tray is supposed to sit up tight against the block (the oilpan to block surface) or is there supposed to be a gap there, so it sits 'up in the air' a little? Or maybe it doesn't matter one little bit? Or should there be a certain distance between the tray and the crank throws?

With the Miloden installation kit, even with spacer washers, the tray wants to bottom out onto the block surface.

Thanks

Should have went for the easy to create and cheaper to make deep oil pan and extended pick up.
LMAO!

not 100% sure but my 318 with studs and windage tray the tray was just a little off from edge of block, also the same on 89 360 block with factory windage tray. these are just my 2 experiences im sure others will jump in!

Mine turned out just like rigger3006 suggested.

Jake

Ok thanks for replies. I read somewhere that if the tray is too close to the crank, then spinning oil can get squashed or 'caught' between the tray and crank, slowing it down a little, creating drag. But I thought that's what the tray is supposed to prevent anyway. Looks like I will leave a gap there, space it up more.

With what you have, you can raise or lower the tray easily. I can't be against the block. It can't hit the pan either.

So split the difference and let it go.

You take and double the nuts up at the necessary height, place tray on to said nuts and then 4 more to hold it tight.
you will have to crank the motor over by hand and check to see how close you can get it, .080 from rod contact is good...but on 4" stroke that's more the case, so the counter weights are probably what you'll base the clerance on.lol

Haha, I wasn't saying it was all so easy - I meant that it surely would be easIER for Ma Mopar to modify an existing design (ie the oilpan and pickup) than to design and manufacture the tray and special bolts from scratch, which is what they did for the 340 engine.

And thanks to MoparOfficer for the tips on installation - yeah its the crank throws that I look at as my crank is standard. But there is not enough thread on the mounting studs for a nut as a spacer, I have to use washers only.

the factory 340 windage tray works fine with a stock pan and stock strokes, and it just touches the block. good for about 5 hp above 4000 rpm. Ed Hamburger added 4 small scrapers to the passenger side by modifying a stock tray for a little more, I run 1

Thnks for the info Marco. Mine initially was touching the block (with just one washer on each stud), but I was also wondering if this also might cause a rattle in the engine? And if you say, "just touching" this might cause a rattle in the engine - possibly ? I know it shouldn't as it is part of the engine as such, but I could see the sides flexing a little, perhaps causing a chatter.

-
Back