stupid question about gearbox bolts

-

sport74

Reaction score
I'm changing my power box to a manual for clearance purposes. In removing the power box the two bolts closest to the engine came right out...... But the one by the fenderwell just spun. I got it loose and now my question is has anyone encountered this before? Is it supposed to be this way or did the welds break? What's the best way to put it back on? (I had to fenagle a pry bar in through a hole to hold it still)
Thanks fabo

That was what I was thinking. Now to figure out how to get it back in there.......

This is a more common problem with early A-bodies . You'll need to cut into the K. It's been done before. Early A owners should have tips for you.

I recall having to fight one of the gearbox bolts all the way out in my 69 Dart long ago (though internal nut wasn't spinning like yours). Comparing to the others, I finally realized it was larger (1/2" instead of 7/16"). I guessed a guy at the factory got the wrong size bolt and just turned up the impact wrench to make it work. They didn't stop the assembly line in 1969.

I had the same problem with my first K. I cracked the steering box support and had to jam something in there to hold the free wheeling nut. I think its just tack welded in there originally. I didnt need to fix it as I was replacing the entire K but I suppose you could the same, jam it with a bar and tighten.

Yeah but it's on the far side.... And my fingers aren't that long. I thought about welding the nut to a long piece of steel and using that like a fishing pole so to speak.then it would also hold it tight when I tightened it down

. I thought about welding the nut to a long piece of steel and using that like a fishing pole so to speak.then it would also hold it tight when I tightened it down

That's how some snow plow frames are mounted where there isn't enough access to get a wrench into a frame rail to hold the nut. It works.

I had to get a torch to get the pitman arm loose and while I had it I cut a notch under the gearbox then I fished the but back in and threaded it up. You can't see the notch with the gearbox in place so that was a win win

-
Back