Super Six install pics

-

kenicb

Reaction score
Super Six install pics

DSC02301.jpg

DSC03448.jpg

this is the old single barrel slant coming out. You do not have to pull the engine to install a super six set up. But i had a cam to install.

DSC02312.jpg

intake and exhaust manifolds come off

DSC02311.jpg

I couldn’t get the exhaust bolts undone so I cut it off.

chokehousing.jpg

this pic shows the orientation of the old choke. But you will need a choke specific for the super six set up because the pushrod will have to orient differently-towards the front of the car.

super6002.jpg

the new 2bl intake manifold and the Doug Dutra Dual exhaust set up. Doug makes it so these two pieces bolt right in where the old one piece exhst manifold used to be. This allows you to go to a dual exhaust set up

super6001.jpg

with the new 2 barrel 1081 Carb in place. I bought one new from member Slant Six Dan. Remanufactured ones from the store can be crap.

DSC03446.jpg

Once your manifolds are bolted in you can start hooking up the kickdown linkage. The super six conversion requires its own special kickdown linkage.

super6005.jpg

the linkage as it connects to the the carb. Also notice the two holes in the manifold just below the linkage. You will have to get an EGR block-off plate to cover these holes.

DSC02310.jpg

this is where the kickdown linkage attaches to the transmission.

DSC03447.jpg

the kickdown linkage going down to the transmission. You can also see the new shorter accelerator cable. For an A body, a super six conversion requires a shorter cable. Anyone from a V-8 small block will do. For a B-Body super six conversion, you can keep the cable it has since it reaches the carb correctly.

DSC02893.jpg

with both exhaust pipes hooked up.

so here's what you will need to complete your conversion:
two barrel intake manifold
two barrel carb
two barrel air cleaner
super six choke
egr block-off plate
shorter V8 accelerator cable (for A body)
kickdown linkage from tranny to carb

exhaust manifold- you can keep singular or go to a dual set up with
Dutra Duals or Headers from clifford are available

once it's all in you will enjoy a "meaner sounding" and slightly better performing slant six. Plus it looks cool at the car show. Everyone has great V-8s. Rarely do they see a dual exhaust slant six.

hope this helps ya"ll. Feel free to ask questions. I've done two of these conversions and can help talk you through them. God Bless

Keni

www.kenithomas.com

Looks good!

I did a similar conversion after spinning a bearing in the original /6. I replaced it with a /6 from an 82 truck which already had the super 6 setup. I just had to use the distributor from the original 6 as the super 6 had the lean burn disty. Of course the engine mounts and such. The one thing I do like about the newer engine is the hydro cam put an end to my fiddling with the lash and the peanut head so no drool tubes! lol

...anyway I just wanted to mention a couple things. I was able to use the longer throttle cable without problems and instead of eliminating the EGR I just updated it with a later easier to find style.

I also wanted to make a quick observation on your final pic above. It looks as though you have your PCV line connected to the carbs fuel bowl port and possibly (because of the angle) your charcoal can to your full vacuum... You likely realised this already as you would have a huge vacuum leak, just wanted to point it out

But like I said looks good man!

EDIT: I just noticed the PCV is hooked up that way in your first pic too, to the single barrel holly!

Is this in your Charger? How well does the engine work with the car?

I have a 74 Charger and was considering swapping my six into it until I can rebuild the 400.

Also my 2 brrl intakes don't have EGR ports. - are these intakes older versions than yours?

Thanks

Looks good!

I did a similar conversion after spinning a bearing in the original /6. I replaced it with a /6 from an 82 truck which already had the super 6 setup. I just had to use the distributor from the original 6 as the super 6 had the lean burn disty. Of course the engine mounts and such. The one thing I do like about the newer engine is the hydro cam put an end to my fiddling with the lash and the peanut head so no drool tubes! lol

...anyway I just wanted to mention a couple things. I was able to use the longer throttle cable without problems and instead of eliminating the EGR I just updated it with a later easier to find style.

I also wanted to make a quick observation on your final pic above. It looks as though you have your PCV line connected to the carbs fuel bowl port and possibly (because of the angle) your charcoal can to your full vacuum... You likely realised this already as you would have a huge vacuum leak, just wanted to point it out

But like I said looks good man!

EDIT: I just noticed the PCV is hooked up that way in your first pic too, to the single barrel holly!
I noticed the same thing on the hose connections. Also, your triangle washers are on backwards and the hardware for the end studs are incorrect. I don't know about the center stud....I don't see one in any of the photos except the first one....and it was wrong too.

I noticed the same thing on the hose connections. Also, your triangle washers are on backwards and the hardware for the end studs are incorrect. I don't know about the center stud....I don't see one in any of the photos except the first one....and it was wrong too.

manifold-studs%26washers.jpg

(over at slantsix.org)

Yes, Coned hardware point away from manifolds. And the grooved nut side goes toward the washer. There is an entire article on slantsix.org on mounting hardware orientation. important for crack resistance http://www.slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm

PCV can go on the rear runner nipple if there is no "below the butterfly" vacuum port on the carb. Trucks have the EGR block off plate, or make one.

correct on all accounts. I forgot to write that in the description that my washers were on backwards in the pictures. Which I had to go back and change. Remember I've done two of these conversions. Not because I wanted to but because I made too many mistakes on the first one. thanks ya'll for the good input. God Bless

Keni

Awesome info, I almost have all the pieces to convert the 64 170 /6 in the wifes car.....

PCV can go on the rear runner nipple

Wrong, unless you want to make #6 cylinder run lean because you're trying for a shaky idle and pinging and eventual damage in that cylinder! The PCV needs to connect to the intake manifold plenum. Any carburetor originally intended for a post-'62 Chrysler product (and some before that) have the PCV port on the throttle body. If a non-Mopar carburetor is used, a port can be drilled and tapped into the plenum. On '73-up intakes with EGR provisions where EGR is not being used, the blockoff plate is a perfect location for drilling and tapping in the necessary nipple.

Kenicb: You've got a '70 California + '71 50-state/Canada fuel pump on that engine. The nipple on the body should be connected to the carb's bowl vent (top front connector, where your PCV hose is presently hooked up). The PCV hose should go to the carb's PCV inlet nipple, on the passenger side near the bottom of the carb, which you've presently got connected to the fuel pump body nipple. Basically you just need to swap the positions of the two large hoses connected to the passenger side of the carb. Do it pronto, then reset your idle mixture and speed.

EGR blockoff plates go by on eBay all the time.

Also my 2 brrl intakes don't have EGR ports. - are these intakes older versions than yours?

Show us pics—all North American-market slant-6 2bbl ("Super Six") intakes have EGR provisions; only the marine and export intakes do not. Perhaps your intakes do have it, but you don't see it because a blockoff plate is installed.

Show us pics—all North American-market slant-6 2bbl ("Super Six") intakes have EGR provisions; only the marine and export intakes do not. Perhaps your intakes do have it, but you don't see it because a blockoff plate is installed.

Yeah I screwed up disgust; they were both on the motors when I bought them and I just checked and they both have a block off plate. I just hadn't noticed them before.

I may install the extra 2brrl intake and carb on the '73 3spd.

What kind of cam did you put in? Can we hear it run? I want videos!

BTW, good article :thumblef:

"Kenicb: You've got a '70 California + '71 50-state/Canada fuel pump on that engine. The nipple on the body should be connected to the carb's bowl vent (top front connector, where your PCV hose is presently hooked up). The PCV hose should go to the carb's PCV inlet nipple, on the passenger side near the bottom of the carb, which you've presently got connected to the fuel pump body nipple. Basically you just need to swap the positions of the two large hoses connected to the passenger side of the carb. Do it pronto, then reset your idle mixture and speed."

Thanks Dan. I did as instructed. All is good in the world.

"What kind of cam did you put in? Can we hear it run? I want videos!"

Matt, Standard slant six cam is 232-degree duration. I used a cam out of a marine application which is s a 244-degree duration with .405" lift and 26-degree overlap. Nothing too drastic. but you can hear a slight difference in the idle especially with the dual exhausts.

Matt, Standard slant six cam is 232-degree duration.

That is the intake duration on the factory cam in the '60-'65 170 and the '60-'64 225. Exhaust duration was 228°, overlap was 8°, and lift was 0.375".

The '65-'70 225, the '66-'69 170, and the '70 198 got a cam with 240° intake, 236° exhaust, 16° overlap, and 0.395" lift.

Export 2bbl slant-6s starting in '67, marine slant-6s, and all roadgoing and industrial '71-'80 slant-6s (except the small production run of hydraulic-lifter engines in '78) got the 244° intake, 244° exhaust, 26° overlap, and 0.414"/0.405" lift.

thanks for the pics...now i know exactly where to put my springs :)

i went with a comp cam 252° intake/exhaust 0.435" lift

now to find someone to point a tell me how to proberly set up the bbd carb i put on it.

Wrong, unless you want to make #6 cylinder run lean because you're trying for a shaky idle and pinging and eventual damage in that cylinder! The PCV needs to connect to the intake manifold plenum. Any carburetor originally intended for a post-'62 Chrysler product (and some before that) have the PCV port on the throttle body. If a non-Mopar carburetor is used, a port can be drilled and tapped into the plenum. On '73-up intakes with EGR provisions where EGR is not being used, the blockoff plate is a perfect location for drilling and tapping in the necessary nipple....

You know when you read your own post much later you say to yourself.." WTF was I thinking?" Yeah, lean #6 for sure. The right hand port on the EGR plate is manifold vacuum, the left is axhaust so you can tap the right port for your PCV. Good catch.

I'm a total newbie to all of this and had no idea about a super six til a day ago. It seems awesome and unique. I see where to get the exhaust manifold but wheres a low cost place to get the rest of whats needed (besides throttle cable)? I'm "working" on a 70 Duster and trying not to ruin anything or spend my credit limit on everything!

Welcome to FABO! The 2bbl setup is hardly unique but it's a fairly simple way to add performance without reinventing the wheel. I don't know what you consider low cost, but if you're interested in the conversion, PM me. I have a couple of them for sale. Either manual or automatic.
Thanks, Mark

Checked my carb and intake. Carb says carter 2681, couldnt find any other id or tag on it other than an old remanufact sticker. Is this a 2bbl set up already?

i have a 2bbl carb setup on my 69 barracuda convert...but it has single exhaust... how much of a difference will dual exhaust provide in performance?

Was gonna ask the same thing @davidl13. Also just bought a 2 barrel intake today are there going to be timing issues going to 2 barrels from 1?

Hey David, sorry i just saw this and am getting back to you so late. You know, the dual exhaust on a slant six may provide some performance improvement. But i dont race my cars so the minimal gains are not important to me. What it did do is make it sound nice when you pulled up to the valet behind the guy in the escalade.

Remember performance gains i have found tend to be relative to all the other things you do to your engine. Cam, mill the heads, dual exhaust, electronic ignition etc etc etc. You can keep on going all you want for 10hps here and 6 hps there. But if the goal is to get your car running well and to enjoy it, then you will be just fine with a single exhaust. Make sense?

Hope that helps you gain some perspective. Good luck!

Keni

-
Back