T-56 Transmission Install Thread

-
So are you really 2.495 at the TOB?

I'll re-measure tonight again without the spring and opening the TOB so I can measure again.

With the spring in I measure 3.495". I think my issue is having the spring on as I can push the roller bearing in with my hand some.

Riddler

FYI it was airlocked. As soon as I opened the bleeder TOB collapsed fully and I was able to get some better measurements. I've got a difference of .620" so I'm going to go with a .500" spacer. I've been getting prices for aluminum but I think a steel one will be cheaper to have laser cut.

Riddler

The steel is ALOT heavier in 1/2". I would've loved to have used steel to save the dough, but damn I bet it would weigh 6 lbs +. Be nice to be able to use phenolic or laminated wood like some carb spacers.

Anyone know how long the hose that's needed from the TOB to the master? I know I need a 3an hose but by my rough measurement I need 24-30". Anyone else already have theirs measured out?

Riddler

Mine is 36" straight on the TOB end and 90* on the other. It definitely wasn't TOO long at all. Also my master is right up next to the brake master.

Mine is the same area and I ordered a 36" hose. Did you have to grind the bell housing flange where the TOB bleeder is?

Riddler

Once I installed the spacer it brought the bleeder to where the flange is. I grind' a path for it in the flange. I'll take a picture and post it. Other than that I think I'm gonna be putting everything in the car....

Riddler

You know what, my bell has a notch in it already. I do remember on the BB that the rubber sleeve on the bleeder was tight against as you say.

I'm going to have a shop install a T56 manual into my '68 Dart, and I'm currently helping them piece together a parts list. This is all going behind a 360. The car will be used for autocrossing and street driving to cruises and events. Unfortunately my experience and knowledge of manual transmissions is pretty narrow as I've never installed one or torn one apart.

I know I'm going to need the RM-8074 Quicktime Bell-housing, 10.5" clutch and flywheel, and a shifter. Should an aluminum or steel flywheel be used? What do you recommend for throw-out bushings? What other parts am I forgetting?

Thanks for your help!

What trans are you using? If it's a Viper T56 get the Viper TOB, if it's a TR6060 get the challenger one.

I don't know for LS1 or LT1 T56's but I'd assume a chevy TOB. The list I posted in the first post has everything needed. Be sure to buy the correct flywheel for that motor. I believe a 360SB will be a 6 bolt one.

Follow along in this thread as lots has been posted.

Riddler

What trans are you using? If it's a Viper T56 get the Viper TOB, if it's a TR6060 get the challenger one.

I don't know for LS1 or LT1 T56's but I'd assume a chevy TOB. The list I posted in the first post has everything needed. Be sure to buy the correct flywheel for that motor. I believe a 360SB will be a 6 bolt one.

Follow along in this thread as lots has been posted.

Riddler

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, it will most likely be a T56 Manual LS/GM as shown:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tuet11009/overview/

Also, what kind of exhaust are you running? Does a TTI H or X pipe clear?

So besides the input shaft needing cut down on an LT1 version, is there anything else that would prevent it from going in behind a 440, provided you have the rest of the parts as mentioned?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, it will most likely be a T56 Manual LS/GM as shown:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tuet11009/overview/

I've been looking into this as well. The gear spread is better than the Viper transmission, with 5th at .80 and 6th at .63. With my 340 making power from 2200-6400 I would need to run some crazy gears to even come close to being able to use a .50 6th like the Viper T56 has. I mean like 4.56's. Even with a set of 3.91's I'd need to be going over 90mph just to lug the engine in 6th, and I wouldn't see redline until I was doing about 250mph. :-k

Plus the American powertrain units come with the provisions to use a mechanical speedo, which is great because I want to keep my rallye gauges.

So, that one should work with the Quicktime RM 6076 bell for a 340? Any other thoughts/recommendations?

I've been looking into this as well. The gear spread is better than the Viper transmission, with 5th at .80 and 6th at .63. With my 340 making power from 2200-6400 I would need to run some crazy gears to even come close to being able to use a .50 6th like the Viper T56 has. I mean like 4.56's. Even with a set of 3.91's I'd need to be going over 90mph just to lug the engine in 6th, and I wouldn't see redline until I was doing about 250mph. :-k

Plus the American powertrain units come with the provisions to use a mechanical speedo, which is great because I want to keep my rallye gauges.

So, that one should work with the Quicktime RM 6076 bell for a 340? Any other thoughts/recommendations?

All the T56 Magnum "universal,hot rod aftermarket" transmissions come with dual speedo provisions. Its not exclusive to any one dealer, TREMEC builds all the Magnums that way. The 8074 is the bellhousing I would use.
http://lakewoodindustries.com/drivetrain/bellhousings/mopar-sb-to-dodge-viper.html

LS1 and Viper T56 and LS1 Magnum all share same mounted depth. The TOB bolt pattern could be different between LS and Viper, never had both to compare. I do know that my last 8073 bellhousing and my current 8074 both are marketed as Viper/LS T56 trans adapters.

Where are you all finding these transmissions at for 1500 bucks? I've been hunting around, junkyards here want 2500+ for them and online isn't much better?

-
Back