TCI Transmission is bad

-
I've heard nothing but bad things about TCI
( Taiwanese Chinese Internals , Total Crap Inside ) .

I'm interested in seeing how long it'll be before Ehrenberg over at Mopar Action has problems --- BIG problems --- with that TCI 6 speed auto that he put in his '69 Road Runner ... ( lots of butchery involved !).

Too bad you can't take that trans to TCI's evil headquarters and huck it through their office window :D .

I am so glad to have found this thread. Living close enough to TCI to be able to drive there instead of ship I was considering them for my next converter and maybe a trans job. Looks like I need to find a plan B.

It is internet forums like FABO that really help us from geting skinned by bad bidnesses.

its not just on the mopar side too, bought a ford c4 sizzler trany from tci for my 69 mustang w/stock 302 engine, and started having problems after 1 year. Took it apart and found out one the thrust washers was all screwed up and torn to hell so i Talked to customer service and they wanted me to pay for shipping and charge me alittle over 300 to rebuilt it. It was a joke i told them 2 shove it up their asses and thats the last time i ever buy crap from them.

I'm interested in seeing how long it'll be before Ehrenberg over at Mopar Action has problems --- BIG problems --- with that TCI 6 speed auto that he put in his '69 Road Runner ... ( lots of butchery involved !).

Too bad you can't take that trans to TCI's evil headquarters and huck it through their office window :D .
turn off your caps

your going to hear good and bad about any builder no matter where you go. i'am not sticking up for tci because i have had some of there stuff apart and i'am not imprest. but i've seen the same in a lot of other high end builders also. that being said, what about the installers? there job is just as if not more important than the builder! a sloppy install, and ive seen lots of those, will kill a tranny in less than 5 miles and then they blame the builder? no way. 850.00 to repair someone elses stuff to much? maybe maybe not. the guy has to start from scatch. who knows wat he can salvage. if it spun the pump bushing that means a new pump and what about the convertor? those two items alone are almost the repair cost. so what does a guy do? any ideas out there?

$850 to build a 727 is way too much. But that's just my 2 cents worth. Like the other guy said. They aren't hard to build. Can replace all seals, bands, clutches, Steels and bushings for about $150 in parts. I build them for all the mopar drag racers around here. If i can help? Let me know. Good luck!

I sent you a PM.

hows about tranzact out of indy,im in the market for a 727 bigblock,my car is a bracket race car and transbrake,so im looking for a tranny,lost 1st gear in my last one

I've bought transmissions from out of state companies twice, (I live in Connecticut). One from Kenne Bell and one from GER. Both were GM TH400s and both were pieces of crap that failed in less than 1000 miles. Now I only buy transmissions from sources that are one hour or less driving distances from my home, and I go and deal with them in person. I hear trans horror stories all the time, and its always when one orders a trans from an outfit thats far away. I've never had a serious problem with transmissions I got locally.

Let me guess, the TCI stuff that has caused grief was purchased through Summit Racing. If this is so, Summit needs to be made aware that TCI is building a crummy product and not providing decent warranty service. If we're advising folks to stay away from this stuff, they may take notice. Otherwise, Summit is exposed for living by P.T. Barnum's pronouncement, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Let me guess, the TCI stuff that has caused grief was purchased through Summit Racing. If this is so, Summit needs to be made aware that TCI is building a crummy product and not providing decent warranty service. If we're advising folks to stay away from this stuff, they may take notice. Otherwise, Summit is exposed for living by P.T. Barnum's pronouncement, "There's a sucker born every minute."

LOL... Let me guess... You've had an issue with Summit Racing :violent1:

heres one for you,i got a tranny from tranzact of indy,it last 12 passes and wont pull itself in 2nd or 3rd,was also told the convertor was bad had a broken sprag,took the convetor to a local rebuilder that does convertos,they said nothings wrong with it,so im having it fresshen up,tranzact wont answer there phone or email,going to take the trans up today to a place then call the bbb

A thought- I suspect TCI and other companies keeps an eye on what is going on in the press, what makes you think Eberg got an "off the shelf" unit? If they got so much as a whiff that a unit was going into a featured car it got a little more attention eh?

LOL... Let me guess... You've had an issue with Summit Racing :violent1:

No problems with Summit, really. Summit simply is the main place I see peddling TCI products. The point I was trying to make is if a re-seller is passing on bad goods, they need to know it as their reputation is at stake, too.

x2:cheese:

No problems with Summit, really. Summit simply is the main place I see peddling TCI products. The point I was trying to make is if a re-seller is passing on bad goods, they need to know it as their reputation is at stake, too.

Ok. I also saw your exact word for word post on the Blueprint engine thread and since JEGS also sells both products I thought maybe you had a bad deal with Summit. It is a good idea to let vendors know about stuff like this and if I had an issue I would definitely let them know but I don't know how much stock they'd take in 2nd hand information if your not the one that had the issue. Couldn't hurt to try though.

This is good to know. I planned on building my small block 727 myself but i need a big block for my Dart and was thinking of a TCI because i dont have a BB core to use. I guess i will have to find another option. Thanks for all the input.

Boy' The commom thread here is TCI is not very good! I have not read anybody defending them or TCI defending themselves. I was considering TCI products myself but no way now.

Usually when analyzing disgruntled posts against a manufacturer you can find where something went wrong. ie company bought by another company, customer error, poor customer support, qaulity control ect....
Generally by the end of the thread the problems get resolved and manufacturer actually has a good product and cares. TCI is taking a beating and nothing from them so far.
Noteworthy is all I am saying

dont ever buy a tranny from trazact of indy,i just got burned on a 727 and he wont refund or nothing,he never answers his phone or emails

i have a tci trans, have had no issues so far, i had to replace the seal and bush already because the t/c was off center by 10thou

I have to admit that the A727 is intimidating to think about, but actually quite easy to work on once you get into it. I purchased a ProTrans unit for my 340, but didn't get it into the car for 10 years. Seals failed quickly, but it was easy to remove and replace all the seals. Broke a rear servo piston (common problem) and replaced it with a Sonnex part. I believe that Sonnex and Superior trans have good parts for the 727, and you can do all the work yourself. The only think that seems difficult to me is replacing the bushings. Inspection should cover it, but maybe purchasing a busing instillation tool is all you really need.
The valve body is also relatively simple to work on, but be careful to get all the check balls back in the right place or it won't shift correctly. Most shift kits do a good job. I would replace the main control valve with one that prevents fluid drainback in park. This is a good upgrade. It also allows total fluid flow in park, so you can check trans fluid level in park.

Good Luck
Bob

Rodzilla said:
Well that sucks to hear this. I have a brand new street fighter trans #111105, converter, flex plate, cooler and Rattler dampener sitting in my garage awaiting completion of my build.
Sorry to hear about your luck and I hope they step up and fix it if you decide to send it. They should pick up shipping to, bad customer service spreads like wild fire.
Cross my fingers I don't end up in the same boat.

Well it turns out I fell into the unlucky list. I got a whole 7 miles before she burnt up. Took to a local builder after and found out that something about the pump not installed correctly. I would highly recommend not buying from these clowns at TCI.
Luckily none of my hard parts are damaged, just needs new bands, clutches and upgrades on a couple other items. Local builder said they built it with many stock pieces that should have been upgraded if they wanted to consider it a "racing" trans.

Well it turns out I fell into the unlucky list. I got a whole 7 miles before she burnt up. Took to a local builder after and found out that something about the pump not installed correctly. I would highly recommend not buying from these clowns at TCI.
Luckily none of my hard parts are damaged, just needs new bands, clutches and upgrades on a couple other items. Local builder said they built it with many stock pieces that should have been upgraded if they wanted to consider it a "racing" trans.

Man that sure sucks. :violent1: I wish we could get the word out to everyone what crap their putting out. At least this thread has maybe helped alert some who were considering TCI to their poor quality.

Man!!! I just picked up a brand new TCI 727 at a auction for $500. I have not installed it in the car yet but Im hoping that I never have any issues with it! Im nervous as all heck now!

-
Back