The 1947 Dodge Build

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Some of you know I've recently bought a 47 Dodge 4 door sedan that the plan is to street rod it. I guess even though this is an A Body forum I wouldn't get too much flacks if I posted a thread about the 47 here on FABO. I plan on keeping it as much Mopar as possibly - no 350 Chevy in this baby!

Anyway, this saga started when a Facebook friend posted asked if anyone had a trailer to help move his 47 Dodge and a Brand X from his buddies house as the county was getting snotty about the number of cars on the property. Or better yet, would anyone be interested in either one. Being a Mopar diehard and have always wanted a pre-48, I replied I'd be interested in the 47 - send me some pics and we'll go from there. So, a couple of weeks later he sent me a couple of pics.
IMG_7138.JPG

What's with those wheels - they'd have to go if I got it!
IMG_7139.JPG

Hmmm, 4 door sedan! Not a coupe but a 4 door is OK too. And it didn't look too hateful from the pics. A couple of front end shots and one of the rear.
IMG_7385.JPG

Hmmmm! A butterfly hood just like the 56 Dodge truck I had and so many times regretted getting rid of it.
IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_7384.JPG

Come to find out the pics were taken by the PO before the guy who currently owned it.

We were finally able to schedule a day where I could personally take a look as he works 2 jobs. So this past Saturday the wife and I head out and I can take a look at the car in person. Pics from last Saturday before the battery in my phone died.
IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7408.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7404.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

I told Mike (who I will call Owner #2) I'd take it and he advises me that the title is not in his name but the in the previous owner's name (who I will call Owner #1) - Kind of important to tell the owners apart for later in the story. Anyway Mike - owner 2 - says it will be no problem transferring the title over but if I want, he would get it in his name so there would be no problem. We agreed on that and so I gave him a small deposit with the balance due upon me receiving a good title. #2 gives me a photo album that #1 had started back in 2002 as well as a set of the original keys.
IMG_7417.JPG

Fast forward to Tuesday when I receive a text from #2 who says he has a good title ready to transfer to my/our name. We meet - I now have the title he has the money and everyone is happy. I still need to make arrangements to get it home - no trailer so I gotta use a commercial rollback. #2 says give so and so a call as they've done hauling for him. Wife and I stop by and - Yes we can go get it right now - they had 4 drivers sitting there waiting for a call. So, driver and I head out and pick this beast up.
IMG_7430.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

Owner #2 had a bunch of personal stuff stored inside so I'll need to clean it out before I can do a better evaluation. There's some trim missing and extra stuff in the trunk so hopefully they're inside somewhere.

So it's home and I got the inside cleaned out yesterday. The photo album I got from #2 showed #1 had done some floor work back in 2002 and put new carpet in - well, I guess it was new to them - regular house carpet with some kind of underlay under it. #1 also had the seats reupholstered during his ownership but by the time #2 acquired ownership, the seats were long gone (less I have to do to put whatever seats I decide to use in)! #1 also had done the door panels and look pretty good! I'll make a decision on them later.

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

I didn't have high hopes for the condition of the floor with house carpet and underlay/sound deadner or whatever it was. I was right!
IMG_7434.JPG

House carpet screwed to the floor! WTF!

IMG_7435.JPG

Sound deadener or some kind of underlayment.
IMG_7436.JPG

All equals very rusty floors! Even the trans tunnel has a couple of rust outs!
IMG_7437.JPG

The floors are basically flat so I'm not worried about them. In looking at them I'm not even sure where #1 put floors in lol!

The body itself is super straight other than where the trim goes in the rocker panels. I couldn't find even a door ding or low/high spots anywhere! I'd venture to say if the body was wet sanded it could be painted right away! All the side trim is stainless- a plus. Minuses - tail light bezels, outside door handles and trunk and hood trim is all pot metal - pitted pretty bad. I'll have to think what I will do with them.

IMG_7443.JPG

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7445.JPG

That's as far as I've got so far. Plans? The flathead and 3 on the tree with Fluid Drive is definitely going. I've had people on the P15-D24 forum say a Gen 1 392 swap requires a bunch of engine compartment work. Less work using a LA motor and supposedly a slant is the least amount of work. I've been reading about suspension and steering swaps to rack and pinion. Disc brakes can be added even to the original spindles. I've read that using an early Dakota frame clip works - gotta do a lot of research before turning the first wrench! I'd like to use the original instruments - they look just so bad! I found out that a 71-74 B body 8.75/8.25 bolts right in with no mods whatsoever! I've got a set of Ram buckets with the built-in shoulder belts - they'd be perfect I think. Rear seat? Who needs a rear seat lol? Yea, I'll have to find something that will fit so the grandkids can ride too! So much to think about; if anyone has done something similar or has some ideas, please do pass them on. One of our Swedish members - 360DartGT66 - already said those wheels have to go! Right on Anders! More to follow as I get more into the repair/mods.

Last edited:
I ran into a guy who had a Chrysler of the same era and he said a 80's Diplomat/New Yorker stub frame bolted right in, like it was made for it. Something to check into.

I ran into a guy who had a Chrysler of the same era and he said a 80's Diplomat/New Yorker stub frame bolted right in, like it was made for it. Something to check into.

Thanks! That means any J, M, or F body could work. Will have to check into it!

Love the pre muscle era mopars! I have upgraded my 55 with a 440 / 727, ford 8.8 (4wheel disc brakes!) Rusty hope disc brake conversion and home brewed 12v conversion. I dont know much about the 40's era but I would suspect with some ingenuity you could do the same. BB truck headers fit mine well with a few mods, the explorer 8.8 is a great differential, the same width as the original and is relatively easy to install. Mine uses stock front suspension but I have seen a couple with Volare front sub frames.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Love the pre muscle era mopars! I have upgraded my 55 with a 440 / 727, ford 8.8 (4wheel disc brakes!) Rusty hope disc brake conversion and home brewed 12v conversion. I dont know much about the 40's era but I would suspect with some ingenuity you could do the same. BB truck headers fit mine well with a few mods, the explorer 8.8 is a great differential, the same width as the original and is relatively easy to install. Mine uses stock front suspension but I have seen a couple with Volare front sub frames.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the comments. I've found out that a 71-74 B Body 8.75/8.25 rear end is the same width perch to perch as the 47s. Overall length is 1 inch wider per side. Needless to say, I'm on the hunt for a 71-74 B Body 8.75

I think it was just called a Dodge - the model number was a D24 which is what they refer it as on the P15-D24 forum - the P15 being the Plymouth lol!

Could be a Custom or Deluxe, no idea how to differentiate.

If I find out, I'll post it here. Whichever this car was, it was loaded for its time: AM radio, heater and back-up lights (which were removed sometime during #1's ownership).

Odd Rod, I like that, Divenut!

It looks like a really nice car, Don! That exterior trim is really pretty even though it's in pretty bad shape. It is 70 years old, after all, so It's amazing that it isn't gone all together.

Good luck on your project! I'll be following you, of course!

Odd Rod, I like that, Divenut!

It looks like a really nice car, Don! That exterior trim is really pretty even though it's in pretty bad shape. It is 70 years old, after all, so It's amazing that it isn't gone all together.

Good luck on your project! I'll be following you, of course!

Thanks for stopping by Anders! I believe you are referring to all the pictured pot metal parts - yes, in pretty bad shape. I haven't decided what to do about them. All the hood, fender and window trim is stainless steel which should polish out nicely. I am missing both front fender trim and both rocker panel trim; I did find the 2 little pieces of trim that go between the hood and door trim.

Last edited:
Thanks for stopping buy Anders! I believe you are referring to all the pictured pot metal parts - yes, in pretty bad shape. I haven't decided what to do about them. All the hood, fender and window trim is stainless steel which should polish out nicely. I am missing both front fender trim and both rocker panel trim; I did find the 2 little pieces of trim that go between the hood and door trim.
That car will turn out great Don after your magic fingers.
A slant 6 in it will make it stand out big way. You don't see so many hot rods with a slant six! Can't wait to see the result. Subscribed!

Thanks for the link - from the Deluxe and Custom descriptions, the one I have is the Custom which is fitted with the dual electric wipers and the beading around the windows, which the Deluxe had no beading and I'm guessing vacuum wipers. There were differences with the seats but since there are no seats, that doesn't matter!

Youngest son and his kids stopped by to help me reposition the car closer to the house. Grandkids (young man of 15 and young lady of 12) thought the car was "Rad" for being 70 years old! I agree with them!

Hey Don. Great! Noticed on pic.#3 (in the snow) theres still the headlight bezel on the left side on the car. Must have fallen off while in owner#1's possession. lol.

Hi Robert - yes, somewhere along the line the left Headlight bezel disappeared. Owner #2 said he still had a couple of things at his house - front parking lenses for sure and things he can't remember. Hopefully that bezel and the missing trim will be there!

Continuing the evaluation I started of the floor pans, the rear sill plates are pretty rusty and do have holes in them.
IMG_7465.JPG

They had built-in pegs on them that were installed in rubber plugs in the floor. I've seen similar in other makes of cars during my time at a restoration shop but made of hard rubber.
IMG_7469.JPG

Rubber receivers in the floor
IMG_7467.JPG

The fronts had them as well and were MIA but also had aluminum trim you could see when opening the front doors. It appears original but in the last 70 years, who knows. I've got some 65 Dart sill trim that if shortened, might work. We'll see after the complete floor has been replaced!

IMG_7468.JPG

Last edited:
Continuing the evaluation I started of the floor pans, the rear sill plates are pretty rusty and do have holes in them. View attachment 1715086996
They had built-in pegs on them that were installed in rubber plugs in the floor. I've seen similar in other makes of cars during my time at a restoration shop but made of hard rubber.
View attachment 1715087001

Rubber receivers in the floor
View attachment 1715087003

The fronts had them as well but also had aluminum trim you could see when opening the front doors. It appears original but in the last 70 years, who knows. I've got some 65 Dart sill trim that if shortened, might work. We'll see after the complete floor has been replaced!View attachment 1715087002
Looks scary but I'm confident on your behalf. :D

Looks scary but I'm confident on your behalf. :D

Hi Anders - the basic floor is pretty flat, at least from where the front seats would have been placed all the way to the back seat riser. It appears the part of the transmission tunnel over the transmission is bolted in, probably to gain access to the transmission and it appears Owner #1 back in 2002 installed a new cover. Like the rest of the floor, that underlayment did damage to the cover.

Last edited:
Just as I suspected, I wound up replacing the whole bottom of my car, custom metal, handmade rockers and all, rather than fighting/trying to weld to all that rust. Have fun, :D

Yep - the rusty metal starts about halfway up the toe board and extends to the seat riser in the back. Even the tunnel has a few holes! Rockers are pretty well complete although some repair will be required. I will need a good size patch in the vertical spare tire well - looks like one could use the top half of a rear wheel well or even something used to tub a rear. One thing st a time lol!

@mopar head - see you're in the Martinsburg area. I go to the VA every 3-4 months; maybe we could get together after one of my trips. Would love to see your project!

-
Back