The 1947 Dodge Build

-
You're probably right on the aesthetics, but being retired and poor as well, I've got to use what I have on hand lol! Those Charger/A Body buckets would cost a small fortune to send to you, so I might as well use them lol!
I'd go with the buckets. Or an old Chesterfield! :D

I'd go with the buckets. Or an old Chesterfield! :D

Speaking of Chesterfields (and I'm assuming you're talking about cigarettes lol), I found a pack of Fatimas in my great uncles little variety store in 1963. They had to be at least 20 years old lol!

sweet instrument panel - cool and unique car
IMG_7410.JPG

Thanks! I would like to convert the ammeter to a voltmeter with a matching face as the other minor gauges and make the temp gauge ("HEAT") scale something like 100 to at least 240. Anyone know where this could be done?

I was looking at the Dakota Digital web site since they converted the dash going in my 65 wagon to digital gauges. I see they will convert any gauge panel to either their digital series or better yet, their analog gauges.
Custom Mounted Instruments - Uses Original Bezels They showed a panel for a 51 Dodge truck - Nice! But for a poor old retired guy like me, $1300 or more is too much for me!

Last edited:
Speaking of Chesterfields (and I'm assuming you're talking about cigarettes lol), I found a pack of Fatimas in my great uncles little variety store in 1963. They had to be at least 20 years old lol!
Actually, I was thinking of one of these:
product_61.jpg

:)

Actually, I was thinking of one of these:
View attachment 1715089272

:)
I did not realize what we call a sofa is called a "Chesterfield". So I had to Google it; the first hit was Chesterfield County here in Virginia, next was some company selling a Chesterfield. I showed my wife the picture and she said "Nice sofa"!

I did not realize what we call a sofa is called a "Chesterfield". So I had to Google it; the first hit was Chesterfield County here in Virginia, next was some company selling a Chesterfield. I showed my wife the picture and she said "Nice sofa"!
It's a classic English brand of sofas. They are to leather couches what Hoover is to vacuum cleaners. I'd say 99% are dark leather. The one I posted would go better with the car in question. :)

Christmas in September! NOS right rear tail light bezel will replace the extremely pitted bezel.
IMG_7493.JPG

and a NOS hood DODGE nameplate!
IMG_7492.JPG

70 year old NOS goodies! Now the hunt is on to find the driver's side taillight bezel,
IMG_7503.JPG

And the center brake light bezel. The 2 holes above the bezel is for the rear DODGE nameplate, which I have and is made of stainless steel!
IMG_7501.JPG

And the trunk handle and licence plate light bezel. At least the lens retainer is made of stainless steel!
IMG_7502.JPG

Got another replacement part in for a pitted original part - the trunk handle.
IMG_7589.JPG

I checked with Tri City Plating on the cost of plating my bumpers - wowza! Holy Bumpers Batman! $1000 for the front bumper and guards - all 5 pieces - both ends, the center and pair of guards which are needed to make 1 bumper! The rear is more expensive yet $1100 for the 5 piece rear and guards because the center section is embossed with "FLUID DRIVE" in it! It only cost me $450 to have my wagon's rear bumper and pair of guards done at Tri City!

Last edited:
I hear ya, that`s why I painted mine body color. any pitted potmetal, blasted/epoxied/filled/sanded/epoxy/finish paint. I guess they seen the light, cause my door handles are cladded with stainless.

I checked with Tri City Plating on the cost of plating my bumpers - wowza! Holy Bumpers Batman! $1000 for the front bumper and guards - all 5 pieces - both ends, the center and pair of guards which are need to make 1 bumper! The rear is more expensive yet $1100 for the 5 piece rear and guards because the center section is embossed with "FLUID DRIVE" in it! It only cost me $450 to have my wagon's rear bumper and pair of guards done at Tri City!
Insane!

Very different and very cool project.

Subscribed

I like the slant idea, but of course I would say that lol

I hear ya, that`s why I painted mine body color. any pitted potmetal, blasted/epoxied/filled/sanded/epoxy/finish paint. I guess they seen the light, cause my door handles are cladded with stainless.

If they were Plymouth one piece bumpers, they would cost half of what the Dodge bumpers cost. I guess painted bumpers could be an option!

Very different and very cool project.

Subscribed

I like the slant idea, but of course I would say that lol

Hi Rainy! Thanks for stopping by! I’ve got a couple of extra slants laying around and the thought has crossed my mind about using one (after an appropriate rebuild of course) mated with my triple Weber setup! It would definitely be an eye-catcher!

Hi Rainy! Thanks for stopping by! I’ve got a couple of extra slants laying around and the thought has crossed my mind about using one (after an appropriate rebuild of course) mated with my triple Weber setup! It would definitely be an eye-catcher!
That would be a super cool idea Don!

If we are offering suggestions on drive tran, Id second the slant six. But it would be more than wild if it was turbo charged or super charged! Definitely turn some heads when people hear a blow off valve go off in something like that hahaha.

If we are offering suggestions on drive tran, Id second the slant six. But it would be more than wild if it was turbo charged or super charged! Definitely turn some heads when people hear a blow off valve go off in something like that hahaha.

Of course suggestions are more than welcome! Just keep in mind I need to use as much as possible what I already have on hand as I am retired and on a fixed income! I do have the aforementioned slants and triple Weber setup as well as a Dutra Hyperpak. I also have a mostly assembled 66 273/235 Motor as well as an unassembled 70 340. I have a slant 904 and a pair of LA727’s and a rebuilt LA904 available but would prefer a 500/518 for the OD since I will be using a 3.55SG in a 71 B Body 8.75. Let the suggestions begin!

This is the extremely pitted bezel and glass lens that is mounted on the trunk lid and is actually the brake light. It would cost a small fortune to repair all the pits in the bezel and get it re-chromed or as another member suggested, sand, fill with epoxy, etc and paint it body color.
6C89A88C-F61B-4E51-A945-202058AA326C.jpeg

While looking at 47 Dodge stuff on eBay I came across a bezel for a Canadian D25 sedan (I hear the Canadian Dodges were called a “Plodge” - a mixture of Plymouth and Dodge parts). The seller said it only fit Canadian models but it sure looked like it would fit my D24 trunk. The lens opening looked just like those for a Plymouth so some more looking around and found a Plymouth Center With a blue dot. So, I took a chance and bought both the bezel and lens- and guess what? The lens fit the bezel and the bezel fits the curvature of the trunk lid perfectly. Correct? Not even but then again the Interior won’t be correct, nor will the dash or the running gear. The D25 bezel will save me a LOT of work (and money and time) and even says Dodge on the bezel
FEEB7FAB-25D1-4BAD-A8D6-C623ECEB2AEA.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the extremely pitted bezel and glass lens that is mounted on the trunk lid and is actually the brake light. It would cost a small fortune to repair all the pits in the bezel and get it re-chromed or as another member suggested, sand, fill with epoxy, etc and paint it body color.View attachment 1715104525

While looking at 47 Dodge stuff on eBay I came across a bezel for a Canadian D25 sedan (I hear the Canadian Dodges were called a “Plodge” - a mixture of Plymouth and Dodge parts). The seller said it only fit Canadian models but it sure looked like it would fit my D24 trunk. The lens opening looked just like those for a Plymouth so some more looking around and found a Plymouth Center With a blue dot. So, I took a chance and bought both the bezel and lens- and guess what? The lens fit the bezel and the bezel fits the curvature of the trunk lid perfectly. Correct? Not even but then again the Interior won’t be correct, nor will the dash or the running gear. The D25 bezel will save me a LOT of work (and money and time) and even says Dodge on the bezelView attachment 1715104529
That'll turn out great. After all Don, it's your car so build it the way you want. Blue dots...so freakin cooool!

You're gonna mess with the purists!

It’s a subtle change - 99.99% of people looking at it I bet would never notice. The other .01% - oh well, just get over it. Look inside or under the hood and they will have a heart attack!

After all Don, it's your car so build it the way you want. Blue dots...so freakin cooool!

Now if I could find the blue dot lenses for the other two lenses!

-
Back