The 1947 Dodge Build

-
the only Mopar I have never built is a classic from the 40's or 50's/ I came close to getting a 49 Ponyac a few years back. My first car in 62 was a 49 chevy! I know. But dad gave it to me to get me to my after school job at 16! ha

glad you found that emblem, GOOD score!

It’s a subtle change - 99.99% of people looking at it I bet would never notice. The other .01% - oh well, just get over it. Look inside or under the hood and they will have a heart attack!

Now if I could find the blue dot lenses for the other two lenses!
I had to be a smart ***, I'd never know the difference if it wasn't pointed out. My stuff isn't original and I don't plan on that changing.

My stuff isn't original and I don't plan on that changing.

My 65 Dart wagon won't be anywhere near original as well with the 66 Barracuda dash and Dakota Digital gauges and 65/66 Barracuda front buckets and rear fold down seat and maybe a couple of surprises on the exterior.

I’ve been thinking about the woodgrained dash and window moldings since I found a little bit when I removed the glove box door. So I pulled the windshield molding today to see if there was any woodgraining on the back side. I didn’t expect any but was pleasantly surprised to find out a PO didn’t paint the back side and the base coat was still preserved. After I pull the rest of the moldings and dash and blast everything, I can at least match the base coat. I need to eventually order the kit with the proper roller tools, special mat for the woodgrain and toner. All in good time lol!
1620FD65-201B-4103-A82D-7241A6B0B457.jpeg

You can see the base coat along with the woodgraining effect that I found after removing the glove box door.
BFCFBE4D-5642-4059-99AA-08133C5A75A0.jpeg

That's always nice to find something like that. Keep you some metal trim from something else to practice on with the woodgrain process. A friend of mine redid the woodgrain in his 34 Plymouth, and painted some extra pieces when he did the base coat. He used the extras to figure out how to do the woodgrain before he messed up his real pieces and had to redo them....lol. This was in 1980 or thereabouts, so I have no clue what he used. Turned out nice though.

Unlike our beloved A Bodies and other Similar year and later Mopars, I found that once the windshield trim was removed, the dash can be removed WITHOUT the windshield removal. There are 7 machine screws across the top of the dash and 2 bolts at the side brackets - once I make sure stuff like the oil pressure line, water temp capillary tube line, speedo cable and wiring is out of the way, it’ll be dash removal time!
9B06FAC1-2A52-4C3D-8095-F2B54525CD16.jpeg

047A3B16-5920-40AA-B860-B408707EBB99.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering what that knob is near the dash bolt, it’s the handle for the right hood release. Driver’s side has an identical one

Last edited:
Them 2 door fastbacks are kind of rare I've heard. Not in bad shape nor the price!

I had a co-worker had 2 of those, nowhere near as nice as this one. I'd drive that any day, and a great price, imo.

If the 47 came with an optional radio - it would have been a model 602 which was the standard radio when ordered with a radio. When I cleaned out the trunk there was a ratty looking model 802 radio in there. I found out that it was the higher priced optional unit instead of the standard radio. I sent it off to Tayman Electrical For an AM/FM/Aux Aurora conversion. The conversion could have been done per the original 6 volt positive ground or modern 12 volt negative ground, which is what I chose of course. I got the radio back today about 12 pounds lighter with all the not needed electrical stuff removed. It looks like a brand new radio, painted the correct brown hammer tone finish with all the push buttons and knobs polished and appears to have a new face with the markings for the AM numbers installed (they are available as a reproduction). All the little scratches on the glass or plastic dial face have either been polished out or a new one installed. I forgot to take some before pictures so I’m a little bummed out about that but on the other hand, knowing what it looked like before, it looks freaking awesome! That Line In as seen in the 3rd picture will be used for my Sirius/XM converter.
A8D3FF4A-3081-408F-B3A8-3631747625CD.jpeg

AF82537D-80E7-4132-8B3B-FB03CEA96BF5.jpeg

CCEFDA7B-5EF0-4FC2-A3DA-6AAA35EA1FEA.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s awesome! Do they install Bluetooth as well?

They do that as well and can add a USB plug too.

I called him back after I posted my comment as I didn’t see an orange wire for the radio dual light like like you would see on a normal radio (or on my 71/76 AM/FM conversion he previously did for me). Come to find out the light turns on automatically when the radio is turned on - just like it would be as per original. He also mentioned that as the tone control was rotated, the dial would change colors also as per original. It’ll be awhile till it’s installed - looking forward to it!

The 47 came with an optional radio - a model 602 which was the standard radio when ordered with a radio. When I cleaned out the trunk there was a ratty looking model 802 radio in there. I found out that it was the higher priced optional unit instead of the standard radio. I sent it off to Tayman Electrical For an AM/FM/Aux Aurora conversion. The conversion could have been done per the original 6 volt positive ground or modern 12 volt negative ground, which is what I chose of course. I got the radio back today about 12 pounds lighter with all the not needed electrical stuff removed. It looks like a brand new radio, painted the correct brown hammer tone finish with all the push buttons and knobs polished and appears to have a new face with the markings for the AM numbers installed (they are available as a reproduction). All the little scratches on the glass or plastic dial face have either been polished out or a new one installed. I forgot to take some before pictures so I’m a little bummed out about that but on the other hand, knowing what it looked like before, it looks freaking awesome! That Line In as seen in the 3rd picture will be used for my Sirius/XM converter.View attachment 1715111019

View attachment 1715111020

View attachment 1715111021
That looks great Don! New tunes for cruising!

i was talking with my friend Frank (FWDLK Frank) about the radio and found out it’s actually turned on with the top push button and turned off with the bottom push button. The other 5 middle push buttons work to select the radio station after it is manually tuned to the desired station. To lock the station to a particular push button you pull the button cover off and tighten a screw that’s under the cover! Wild! The bottom two knobs are for manual tuning and tone control.

9A1ACE5C-C86A-4AD0-BD6E-A6C123A108D1.jpeg

Last edited:
I had previously fit a set of truck hi-back buckets and a set of 67 Charger buckets to the 47. Either way I would need some kind of back seat with upholstery to match the front seats. Fast forward to the process of parting out a 65 Barracuda which had new upholstery installed a year or two before I bought it in 2004. I knew I could fit and adapt the Barracuda’s front buckets to the 47 so I decided early on not to sell the Barracuda seats. I kept looking at the the rear seat that maybe it just might fit the space between the armrests. A quick measurement said both the bottom cushion and seatback should fit between the armrests and they do! It won’t take a lot of work to position and secure them. I removed the bar and brackets from the seatback so it can be installed flush against the seat back bracing. A big plus is they already have new upholstery and of course they match the front buckets. A Valiant/Dart Convertible seatback might fit better but this way I can use what I have on hand to keep the costs down.

053D5698-7447-48CD-994D-113E5BA4D49C.jpeg

55FC7731-CEB7-40ED-91BE-C8E1CE21FBE7.jpeg

Last edited:
I had previously fit a set of truck hi-back buckets and a set of 67 Charger buckets to the 47. Either way I would need some kind of back seat with upholstery to match the front seats. Fast forward to the process of parting out a 65 Barracuda which had new upholstery installed a year or two before I bought it in 2004. I knew I could fit and adapt the Barracuda’s front buckets to the 47 so I decided early on not to sell the Barracuda seats. I kept looking at the the rear seat that maybe it just might fit the space between the armrests. A quick measurement said both the bottom cushion and seatback should fit between the armrests and they do! It won’t take a lot of work to position and secure them. I removed the bar and brackets from the seatback so it can be installed flush against the seat back bracing. A big plus is they already have new upholstery and of course they match the front buckets. A Valiant/Dart Convertible seatback might fit better but this way I can use what I have on hand to keep the costs down. View attachment 1715113408

View attachment 1715113409
Looking great Don! Recycling is the word!

Another piece of the trim puzzle solved! I found a mint used driver’s side taillight bezel
B3AE3274-7EDC-4E26-821C-EFA46CE33763.jpeg

To go with the NOS passenger side bezel
3FDC82DA-73E6-4D56-AC11-7ED099971530.jpeg

And the NOS trunk center bezel
9CFEE6FB-2846-4354-871C-1E9389417BAC.jpeg

Still need to find the license plate/trunk handle main housing and all the pot metal parts for the rear will be complete.
B036F89D-F535-42DC-A95F-ED97A3023079.jpeg

Last edited:
Another piece of the trim puzzle solved! I found a mint used driver’s side taillight bezel View attachment 1715117336

To go with the NOS passenger side bezel
View attachment 1715117338

And the NOS trunk center bezel
View attachment 1715117339

Still need to find the license plate/trunk handle nain housing and all the pot metal parts for the rear will be complete.View attachment 1715117342
Looking good Don! Reminds me of Johnny Cash son "One piece at a time"! Do you got all the mouldings?

Cool build!
Just so happens that I know of another '47 Dodge moredoor.
Take a look at 'Swoopy'. Built by our good friends at Extreme Automotive in Corona, CA...

swoopy1.jpg
swoopy2.jpg
swoopy3.jpg
swoopy4.jpg
swoopy5.jpg

Lots more pics here: GALLERY | Swoopy 2.0

Looking good Don! Reminds me of Johnny Cash son "One piece at a time"! Do you got all the mouldings?

When I bought the car both front fender moldings were missing. I found and bought a NOS passenger molding. There’s a NOS driver’s side on eBay; he thinks it’s made of gold! I’ll keep looking! Still looking for 4 pit-free outside door handles and possibly the front nose trim - mine is not hateful but could definitely be better! Oh and need to find the correct headlight Bezels as well.

My wife (the banker) is keeping up with this thread and loves the idea of recycling the stuff I have on hand! She saw I said the wheels gotta go, so she asked replace with what and do I already have them since she knows wheels can be expensive. We have two different wheels choices on hand: 14 inch Rallyes and 15 inch J Body 10 spokes. I have a set of chrome 14 inch Magnum 500s; however, it looks like they’re going on the wagon. For those following this thread, which would you choose?

Rallyes:
B4149362-E428-47BB-B67A-03D7052BA3E1.jpeg

Or 10 spokes:

3966C504-A5C0-4235-AE45-ABDA3A1A598A.jpeg

The Mercury wheels just don’t do it
7890C73C-4764-4F97-B3B3-2A23BC7FB882.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back