The "Black Menace" is pretty forlorn, LOL

-
Well today was part of the "earn back program," LOL. Helped the neighbor who's doin' the body and paint to install a new furnace and AC coil. This spring I'll install the new OD condensing unit for the AC

We started about 8:AM and finished except for a couple of details at about 3:30. Lost the screw, then found it later, out of the disconnect switch, so the power wires are temp wire nutted. Need to install the new programmable stat. Add a hanger or two on the BX power flex.

I was so beat we didn't even clean up the tools. Do that tomorrow, I'll "relax" and install the new stat, LOL

Top photo. Beginning it all. We carried my tools and the new furnace and coil down Thursday, so I would not have to work so hard at one stretch. I just don't have the suds I used to. Thanksgiving weekend we plan on replacing the water tank

2......and 3.......The old scud come out

4......My neighbor pretending to be an HVAC installer. That's right. You laugh!!!! I still use Makita 9.6 drills which I find at the thrift stores!!! These are the old hi/ lo speed gearbox kind.

5.....New unit pretty much done except for cold air return

6......My neighbor and his incredible wife admiring our day's work. I'm beat. Been a day

Cool Thread.. You got a little of everything in here :)

I still have a Makita 9.6 and one of the old 9.6 Dewalts lol
I like the classics.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 541
  • photo 1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 506
Very little. The "head guy" (I'm just doing a basic valve job) is supposed to have the old 340 J heads done this Friday. "We'll see". Then at least I can start on getting the LA roller together, I have the reground cam

The neighbor FINALLY got the Toyota shot he was fixing, he does not have it buffed yet. He does have quite a bit (most) of the welding done on the Dart, has to finish up one rear quarter patch.

Not a 'ell of a lot I can do. There's a lot of stuff I'd LIKE to do, LOL

Well, just got back from the "head shop" and off Rock auto. He would have had the heads done but decided he needed some exhaust valves. So I ordered six from Rock. 'S OK, I haven't got the pan and pump cleaned up yet, anyhow. Give me a few more days to get on that.

Del, if you have a problem with gout, forget the meds and get a bunch of cherries. An old Dr told me that 40 years ago and if I feel a flair up I eat about 10 a day and the symptoms are gone in 2 to 3 days. Doesn't make you sick like the meds either

The gout meds don't seem to be what was affecting me. I have one other unrelated med, and the rhumatologist "guessed" that I might have a form of arthritis which cannot be tested for. I forget what it is called. I stopped that med, and he now has me on an alternate, which "so far so good."

I do not have "conventional" gout pain. This was discovered in a search for my joint pain which I thought (had been told by previous med people) was osteo arthritis. It is not. I actually am starting to feel somewhat better. No idea why, if it "really" is from some med, or just happenchance plus the improving weather.

My new doc assurs me that "at the level" that my gout (uric acid) had reached, no amount of changes in food would have been effective.

Thanks for the suggestion, I had heard about this. I do like cherries, and eat them in summer.

The neighbor is finally starting to make some real progress. All the welding is done, and he's got the right side "about ready" for primer.

Attachments

• _MG_7324cs.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 725
  • _MG_7325cs.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 424
"So have I," LOL. Last year, he was worried I'd have someplace out of the weather "when it was painted" IE early this spring. I'll be lucky if I get it moving under power by NEXT spring.

AbsoLOOTEly LOL. That is not the original color. It was originally dark green (forget the code) then some idiot had painted it RED, then white primer, and then black. So when you chipped the paint, it was about 1/2" deep and you never knew what color was gonna show up, LOL

Tiny bit more progress. He's got both sides bodywork pretty much done. Problem is, he still works as if "he's on schedule." Damn thing was supposed to be done early this spring. I won't be driving it this fall!!! And..........."we got sidetracked..........."

Some friend of his "at work" his daughter "blacked out" and hit something.

Blacked out while texting?

Blacked out while DW?

Blacked out while..........??

Attachments

• _MG_7372cs.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 325
Progress such that it is..........

Attachments

• _MG_7369cs.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 351
  • _MG_7367cs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 423
  • _MG_7366cs.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 358
Looks great ...you are going to look like Batman in that thing with all shiny Black paint :D

So are you at least gonna put sumffinin back in it with some kyoobs? You keep makin references on the forum that you ain't gonna live to drive it again......could be true of any of us. But consider this. Might be your last hoorah for building a car, so make it a goodun. Know what I mean, Vern? Build you up a nice hot 360 at least. At least that way, "The Black Menace" might have a chance at livin up to it's name. lol

I don't have the money, Rob. Here's what it will be

I scored a brand new commercially rebuilt 360 LA roller (short block) for 400 bucks. It came with hydraulic rollers, and I'm going to try and use 'em. Got a regrind from your and my favorite cam grinder. This was taken in trade by a small local upholstry shop, he had a Dodge van at the time, and never used the engine.

This was probably one of the local rebuilders like RAM. I've already looked over the crank, etc, and the clearances and crank condition looks great.

Supposed to be 477 /480 lift with 1.5 rockers, 222 / 229* at .050 tappet, 290 /301 at .002 tappet lift

110 LS, and 106 ICL

Had a local guy do a basic valve job on my old 71 J heads I've had all these years. They are 2.02, and he re-did the guides and we replaced I believe 6 exhaust valves. They have never been milled. These heads had been on the factory original 340 I bought and swapped into the 70 V code RR way back in 73 or so.

Of course I'll have to hog out the pushrod holes, and am hoping to use the same old 273 rockers. I'm hoping I can shorten the pushrods myself.

It will have the same manual /reverse valve body 727, and for now, the same Ford 9" 3.70 rear. That is, I may drop it down to a 3.55

I had it set up with what started to be a used Holley TBI Commander, then upgraded the ECU to the HP ECU. "If I ever get time" I might do some sort of multiport. I would love to buy a bunch of bike throttle bodies and build a Hilborn style ITB EFI for it.

It will have enough to get me into trouble, LOL

That actually sounds pretty dang good. The car's coming along. Might be slow....but at least it's movin forward.

Update wanted Dell. When you get your car back and if you need a hand re assembling her would give me a good excuse to take a week vacation in Idaho.. Payback for you being the boards electrical sharp shooter.
Luke

Del, Progress can come slowly and in spurts, but at least you've been keepin' at it. Sometimes other life "stuff" just gets in the way - does for me too!

Hang in there, and let us know how it goes!

Remember, "Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!"

BC

I can't wait to see her all painted black and purdy.......
I can relate with you on the arthritis and the time it takes to do things versus 30 years ago.
You just have to pace yourself and eventually it gets done.

Well, "it's black" again. Very little actual progress made, I've had it back for about 2 weeks. I'm happy with the paint, so far as that goes. Bear in mind this is not truely resto, nor "show quality." I intend to drive this thing, if I live that long

"Order of plan" is (and I cannot get ahold of the "glass guy" over the holidays)

1....Get the front / rear glass back in with new gaskets, and the 68 / later trim clips

2.....Get the trunk and hood back from the neighbor and back on the car

3....Received a roll of "fat mat" through Amazon. Get that stuck to the firewall, rough in some wiring,,

4....And the dash frame / glove box / ashtray should be about done at the power coater outfit

5....Get the engine together. Had to mod the 71 J head push rod holes for the roller rockers, and have not got them checked yet for clearance as I.........

6...Need to get the cam in the engine. It's an Oregon regrind supposed to be similar to an XE 268H, hydraulic roller

7...Get the suspension out of the car, get the engine trans together on the K / suspension, and "drop" the body over the top

I did get built a scrap iron framework which bolts to the frame rails and will allow me to pick the body up and move it up and forward over the K and engine / trans.

From there it's a matter of diggin in and "diggin in." It'll be a very long road. Frankly, with my aging and health issues, I wish I'd just left it alone and driven it. I've lost more than a year with it apart, and it'll be months more before it is halfway "driveable" much less "finished."

And, I'm about out of money.

Attachments

• painted.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,317
-
Back