The Great Pumpkin - '71 Duster

-
Man, I just can not seem to get this thing done. I have lost the entire summer dicking around with little issues, I am pulling my hair out.

The most recent clusterf@ck with this car involves the cooling system. As I described a few posts back, my radiator has caused me grief from day one and now it is preventing me from moving forward. Regrettably, I have given up on it. It was actually installed and very close to being completed but there were fitment issues I could not get around. In the interest of forward progress, I basically just ordered an entirely new cooling system. I swear though, if these new parts don't work out, I am going to light this car on fire and take up knitting.

So as I described in an earlier post, the problem with the radiator was not with the function, it just wasn't fitting right. I'm not sure where Griffin got their measurements from but their claim of it being a direct fit part was laughable.

I won't go into too much detail about what I tried to do to make it work. Suffice to say I screwed around with it for a long time but nothing seemed to work without some drawback. Maybe it's my fault for not being able to arrive at a good solution but it shouldn't take that much doing. Oh well. On the shelf it goes with the rest of the stuff that didn't work.

The other issue I was having with the cooling setup was with the lower radiator hose. The huge-by-large Clay Smith mechanical fuel pump I have takes up a LOT of real estate on the passenger side and caused interference with the lower hose. To solve the interference, I had the water pump inlet cut, re-clocked and welded back on to move the hose towards the front but the angle wound up being a little too severe. It seemed OK on the engine stand but when it was time to button everything up in the car, it was too close to the belt for comfort. And because the radiator was farther back towards the firewall than normal, the lower rad. hose would have had to be cut very short. A flex hose would have probably worked but at that point, I decided enough was enough and threw in the towel.

With the Griffin rad on the shelf, I hadda find a replacement and I chose to get one from ECP. I ordered their 22" A body radiator with a built-in dual electric fan/shroud combo and their tidy fan controller. I did do a lot of research on these things. Sure, there are some negative reviews including some on this forum but it seemed like an OK product for the money. Is it off shore junk? I dunno. Pretty much everything seems to be made behind the great wall these days, what can you do? They look closer to an OE design than a generic, cross-flow type which I like. Guess we'll see how it all works out soon enough. It can't be any worse than the one I had.

So given that I was changing stuff, I decided to dump some more money into the aftermarket parts business and purchased a Moroso electric water pump setup. Now, I know some guys have misgivings about these things on street cars but I am seeing more of them out there these days which tells me they must be fairly reliable now. I don't drive the car 100 miles a day in traffic so I'm not worried about it taking a dump at some inopportune time any more than I would be concerned about a mechanical water pump. I've actually experienced that situation first hand and it sucked. Parts break or wear out whether they are old-school mechanical or electric, it's the nature of the beast.

There are in fact two nice benefits to ditching the belt-driven pump; it frees up a few ponies and will keep pumping even when the motor is shut off. Wiring appears easy, just acc.-on power and ground.

So beyond the cooling system, some other things have caused me some grief these last few weeks. Putting the driver's side header on is proving to be really difficult. The passenger side went on no problem but the driver's side with the #7 slip tube is a whole other ball 'o wax. I can't seem to thread the small, ground down bolt in next to the #5 cylinder. I have tried multiple methods, all of which end up the same - frustration and cursing. It was in fact tricky to do on the engine stand and on the dyno as well so I'm not surprised. Not buying new ones now so I will have to fight through it.

Making the fuel line from the trans cross member to the fuel pump has also proved to be a hassle but that's my own fault for being a perfectionist. The line runs parallel to the t-bar along the inner frame rail and would be a nice, straight shot to the pump except that the right front brake line is in the way. Routing it around the line causes it to get close to the exhaust so coming up with an elegant solution has been difficult. I've come up with a few versions all of which I scrapped. At this point, I gotta just buckle down and get it in.

This whole project is becoming a sad joke.

More to come. I guess.

OK, made some good progress these last few weeks. Cooling system seems to be straightened out for now as well as the other accessories., just need to finish up wiring it. Punch list is pretty short after that.

Got the driver's side header on finally, what a P.I.T.A. I must have wrestled with it for an hour before I was able to thread the #5 bolt in. I can almost guarantee there will be an exhaust leak because every time I had to move the header, the gasket would get smushed or pulled or drop between something. I was trying not to spray it with sticky copper crap because if/when you need to get the header off, the gasket always tears and can be really tough to get off completely. But, the only way to get it to stay in place was to spray it. Should have done it from the start because if I have to take it off, I'll be scraping it now anyway.

After a lot of headaches, the cooling system seems to have come together nicely. The ECP radiator didn't work out like I had hoped. The brackets didn't line up at all, the whole thing was too tall and the fit and finish was not the greatest. I was on the fence about keeping it so I decided not to mess with it.

So I puled the Griffin back out and took it to a radiator shop to have it tested for leaks. It tested out OK so I had them move the lower water pump inlet to the driver side and weld on some brackets for the HHR fan. This actually solved ALL my problems with the cooling system and accessories.

Here's what it looks like now. The HHR fan fits like it was made for a 22" radiator. There are some brackets that needed to be cut off the sides and some of the shroud needed to be ground down for the hoses to clear but it dropped right in otherwise.
IMG_3383_zpszjsupzma.jpg

The guy who moved the outlet and welded the brackets on it did a fairly crude job but it does not leak and he didn't charge me a lot. I modified the brackets a little to give them a little more finished look. The holes I drilled are crooked and the edges are pretty uneven but frankly, it looks way better now than when I first got it back.
IMG_3379_zpsluyn2gju.jpg

IMG_3382_zpskslumrsg.jpg

With an electric fan comes the need for a controller. After a lot of research, I wound up with a Flex-A-Lite #31163. This particular controller is adjustable and has a nice feature which helps with electrical load; the fan comes on at only 60% and goes to 100% on when the temp rises 10 degrees. That really helps to smooth out the large amperage spikes that the electrical system sees when a fan comes on full blast.

I went back and forth with where to mount the controller box. The driver's side inner fender was getting cluttered and I didn't want to have to splice a bunch of wires together so I put it right on the shroud. Luckily there was nice, flat spot that was large enough to put the unit on. It worked out perfect, didn't even have to splice in any extra wire for the fan motor. I have to run the power wire back to an auxiliary junction point but that's all that's left.
IMG_3541_zps6kuayvaw.jpg

So not having to move the alternator alleviated a lot of hassle since I was able to re-use my existing brackets and wiring. I am sticking with the Denso/Toyota alternator for now, hopefully it will be enough for the electric water pump and fan.

To mount the alternator, I needed some stand-offs for the bracket since the electric pump body not as deep as a regular water pump. I had a long aluminum spacer from another bracket kit on the shelf that I decided to re-purpose. I gave it to my neighbor down the block from me who is a machinist and life-long Mopar man. 10 minutes in the lathe and I have some bitchin' lightweight, counter-bored stand-offs. The pulleys line up perfect. Thanks Howard!

Stand offs.
IMG_3542_zpspydqxnse.jpg

IMG_3539_zpsyzleor6i.jpg

So with some higher-amp draws now on board, I thought it was time to get one of Crackedback's headlight relay kits to help reduce some of the load on the alternator when the lights are on. Rob makes a nice kit that plugs into your existing harness but I wanted to eliminate some of the excess wiring that is left when you install the kit. The old harness had seen better days so it was taken out to be freshened up. The unnecessary wires were removed and the whole thing was re-wrapped.
IMG_3540_zpswccym2bl.jpg

So yeah, things are looking better. Having the car ready for Mopars at the Valley this weekend is out the window but I'm still holding out hope I can get it down the track this year. I'm confident I will be able to drive it soon but realistically, there may not be enough time before winter to get it sorted out. We'll see.

More to come.

Dang man you just keep seeming to fight that car over and over again. I can relate to that pain but you'll get there bud. Keep chipping away at it and you'll get there.

Thanks boys.

Trying to get all the stupid crap out of the way before I start driving it. I don't want anything left unfinished, just want to be able to concentrate on sorting it out. Everything snowballs, it never ends.

It must seem ridiculous how long this is taking but I don't work on it all day every day, I'm lucky to have a few hours a week at best.

So I guess I am throwing in the towel on this season since its November. What can I say, guess I'm too finicky with doing things a certain way and can't be satisfied until they come out the way I envisioned them.

Case in point - wiring. While wiring the radiator fan and water pump, I started running in to things which I felt were not executed properly which lead to undoing a bunch of stuff I had done previously. Naturally this requires more work - coming up with an acceptable solution and then re-doing whatever it is to some exacting standard I've conjured up in my head.

So at the moment, almost all the wiring under the dash is hanging down, needing to be re-organized and put back in. Cleaning up the wiring under the dash was something I had on my punch list and it is a priority because there was a lot of clutter and quick fixes that were driving me nuts. It was kind of a rats nest back there with all sorts of wacky connections, excess coils of wire zip tied together, empty connectors etc.

I don't even know what most of this crap is for.
IMG_3686_zpsnu0oalzn.jpg

IMG_3688_zpsutnnzmqt.jpg

Perfect example - an MSD ignition seems to require a bunch of extra pieces that have miles of wiring attached to them. I have a digital shift light that requires an RPM activated switch. I also had an electronic tach which needs a tach adapter, both of which necessitated an auxiliary fuse box. You get the idea. I have a mechanical tach now so no sender is needed. So what to do with all the extraneous stuff? No way I was leaving it in there!

Ugh.
IMG_3684_zpsok7sdhy3.jpg

In undoing all these things, I had the hare-brained idea to take out the main under-dash harness, remove all the wiring that wasn't used for anything and re-install it with only what was needed. This is a pretty major undertaking but it's something that once I got the idea for I wanted to follow through on. A lot of the cobbled together wiring exists because I am working with the original harness and trying to wire stuff into it. Perhaps I might have been better served to start from scratch with an aftermarket harness but I didn't so now I am stuck with what's there.

First thing I did was make a plate to mount the MSD, fuse box and battery power bus bar. The hope is that mounting this stuff in close proximity on the back of the firewall will help reduce the amount of spaghetti behind the dash and on the firewall. The MSD was previously under the speaker grille which made it tough to access and probably contributed to the clutter. The bus bar terminal was next to the master cylinder with basically everything that needed battery power connected at that point. You can imagine the tangle of wires meeting at the one point.

I used the firewall pad as a template so as to not drill any more holes. The plate came out in an odd shape but fits in the space well enough. This stuff is more accessible now instead of having to lay on my back and reach up behind the dash to get at it. Changing an RPM chip or unplugging a wire will be less of a chore and I can actually see what I am doing. I used spacers to elevate the plate off the raised areas.

Firewall plate.
IMG_3682_zpsikwdbehk.jpg

In addition to the under dash wiring, I a working on cleaning up some of the other excess wiring including the starter circuit which had three ignition switch feeds a remote solenoid and two relays up front. Can't believe it even worked the way it was but it did. Way too complex!

I will still have more than one battery power junction point but the hope is it will now be more organized and neat. I can tie another one in to the main power bus bar but the wiring shoul be kept to a minimum.

Working on the car today after I finish here. Beautiful crisp fall day, my favorite weather! Too bad I'm not running the car down the track!

More to come.

I know what ya mean. 3 - 16 hour days in a row into Friday morning, coffee, eggs, good to go right into the garage and get to the fun.

Next morning... can't get outta bed today. Pulling new muscles... ugh!
Plenty left to do on the wife's car before I get back to mine. And the chill in the garage is getting crummy.

Got the harness out yesterday. Managed to get it all untangled and separated. There was a lot of stuff that was unused which I took out like the radio and heater harness. Some of it will be a P.I.T.A. to put back together but it will be a good thing in the end. This was something I'd wanted to do for a while now. Hopefully I won't have to mess with it when it's all done.

The one main thing about the OE harness is that everything is all bundled together and wrapped as one giant log with branches coming off of it for various things. Since there is so little in the way of accessories in my car I figured it was best to have individual circuits instead of one unwieldy assembly with a bunch of extraneous stuff hanging off it. It will certainly be easier to service if needed and I can route things as I want them.

I might even ditch the OE fuse block and use the aftermarket one I have. The advantage of that is that it uses blade fuses and has more connections than the original. Not sure on this one point though since it will probably wind up being too much to figure out.

Just about everything else is finished though, my punch list is considerably shorter than what it was during the summer. I have to make one part of the fuel line from the t-bar cross member to the pump and one trans. cooler line from the case to the frame rail. When it goes back on the ground I have to adjust the ride height and get the alignment close then it should be ready to fire up. Just in time to put it away for winter!

More to come.

So my new command center has been mocked up. Also got some more electrical trinkets including a Ron Francis Bare Bonz fuse panel and a cool-guy dash panel from Fast Lane West with all-new Autometer Traditional Chrome gauges. My money tree is starting to look a little bare, hopefully these will be the last major purchases for a long time.

So first order of business was to make a new mounting plate for the fuse panel and MSD as the previous one was too small. Everything fits nicely on the panel now using all existing fasteners on the back of the firewall. It's all pretty accessible too so getting to it will be easy. The panel is a little crude right now, might clean it up a little and possibly paint it flat black to have it blend in a little better.
IMG_3750_zpsulpcqcqv.jpg

Here's the aforementioned dash panel with the fancy gauges. I kept the SW mechanical tach instead of matching it to the other gauges. I think it fits in OK. The gauges are crooked because they are just there for layout purposes. Note shift light on lower right in place of the wiper switch.
IMG_3748_zpslrqipfpa.jpg

If there was any real rationale for doing this I suppose I could it explain it like this; the only thing being used on the OE panel was the speedometer, fuel level gauge and turn signal indicators. The ammeter was bypassed and I had aftermarket oil pressure, water temp and volt meter gauges. The extra stuff only added complexity and extra weight, not to mention all extra wiring and mounting panels. Besides, I was never a fan of the old faux wood grain and my original is pretty beat. So, out with old...

One issue I ran into was a little unexpected. I'm guessing that most people that use these panels choose to use electronic speedometers and tachometers so there are no large cables coming out the backs of the gauges. The placement of the speedo and tach on this particular panel necessitated drilling some holes in the column support to make room for the speedo and tach cables. Kind of a P.I.T.A. but I hadda do it.
IMG_3760_zpsnylkyfyf.jpg

Additionally, the AM speedo will not mate up with the existing OE speedo cable. The OE one is a clip on type with the AM speedo is a 5/18" x 18 thread. I had to get an adapter to make it work. Didn't really feel like getting a new speedo cable, they are a pain to deal with. Hope this adapter actually works.
IMG_3758_zpsgrcrrl5v.jpg

So in the interest of making things nicey-nice, I 're-did' the connectors coming out of the steering column. Rather than splicing new wires into the existing harness, I decided to change out the old bullet connectors for Packard 56 terminals that install into a gang connector. I would have used new bullet terminals but you can't find them anywhere. It was a lot of work for minimal gain but it will be helpful when I tie in these systems to the new fuse box.
IMG_3756_zpsxeizq2pp.jpg

So in effect, I am still using parts of the OE harness but I am re-configuring it to only use what's necessary. Would it have been easier to get an aftermarket harness? Probably. Most of the AM harnesses come with a lot of extra stuff that I didn't need or want and that's the impetus for for this project in the first place. So of course, I am left to make something work the way I want it to by coming up with my own solutions. We'll see how it turns out!

Here's all the excess wiring that was along for the ride.
IMG_3696_zpsyqgdwe7f.jpg

I feel better about the wiring now that it's all cleaned out. Working under the dash was a depressing proposition with all this extraneous stuff hanging out in there. But, I have a long way to go and as anyone who has been reading my posts knows, I like to do things the hard way.

More to come.

Holy snikes! Now there's some heads up info!

Holy snikes! Now there's some heads up info!

Thanks Rob, though I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to?

I tend to run into atypical issues more than the average bear. Clearly not the most efficient approach to a project.

I am pretty sure your car was in a magazine about 20 years ago , I think I might still have it if I find it I will post pics

I am pretty sure your car was in a magazine about 20 years ago , I think I might still have it if I find it I will post pics

That would be wild! Please dig it out if you can!

The guy that owned it before me was named Rod Nelson out in Anaheim, CA. The motor that was in it when I got it was built back in the 90s. The whole car was old school, straight out of the Direct Connection manual.

Joe Jill from Superior Automotive may have breathed on it at some point. I believe it was on their chassis dyno at least since there was a SA sticker on the diff.

Someone wrote 525 hp inside the rear wheel, not sure what that was all about. No way the old combo was making that much power, not even close, it was a 12.0 car.

Whatever though, I'd be stoked if this thing was in a mag!

My statement was specific to though not mentioned, the holes behind the dash for the gauges, but easily applies to the entire thread because of how you put it.
"Atypical problems the average bear doesn't encounter".... LOL!

My statement was specific to though not mentioned, the holes behind the dash for the gauges, but easily applies to the entire thread because of how you put it.
"Atypical problems the average bear doesn't encounter".... LOL!

My life in a nutshell...

cool this the car you put your stroker in
lol I never come to this side of the website

love the fuel tank I may very well do the same thing with mine
kick *** build my friend

cool this the car you put your stroker in
lol I never come to this side of the website

Yep, this is my heap. Stop in more often!

love the fuel tank I may very well do the same thing with mine
kick *** build my friend

Thanks! Hopefully it will be done sometime this millennium...

Doing some more wiring tomorrow, hope to make some progress with the panel.

Keep plugging away, you are doing nice work. I resist starting things sometimes because 6 months later I look back and go WTF happened???

-
Back