The importance of measuring bell housing runout.

-
So what changed from Fri and Sat to Sunday? The initial .082" TIR was because the engine mounting surface was not smooth and prepped.
After prepping, the second measurement came in at .048" TIR; not great but within spec using a .021" offset dowel.
The reason the 3rd attempt jumped up to .056" was that the passenger side dowel pin came off inside the cast iron bell when it was removed. While reinstalling the SST bell I was fixated on aligning with a homemade dowel pin Greg had crafted and didn't notice the missing pin. Greg found the pin when he bolted the cast iron bell to his engine.
With the pin back in the Coronet engine, we were able to replicate the SST runout between both engines.
Bottom line, I made a bunch of rookie mistakes and oversights. This was my first time using a dial indicator, and was easily the first time I've ever had to measure accuracy down to .005".
As Greg posted earlier, documenting these trial and errors will hopefully help someone else down road as they're reading this.

Nice work figuring it out. Trial and error is how I know all I know lol. The old DAMHIK principle.

-
Back