The world just shifted on its axis...

-
Reaction score
As some of you know and many of you probably guess, I have a lot of car-related literature, and not all of it is books and manuals. Much of it is loose-leaf paper. TSBs, SAE papers, articles, etc. It takes up a huge amount of space, is very difficult and inconvenient to access and search, and is subject to damage from water spills or whatever.

All of that will change very soon. I got one of these and it is nothing short of a miracle-maker. Put 30 pages in its in-tray (it says it'll take up to 50), push the button, the pages fly through the scanner very quickly and neatly restack themselves in the out tray, and a couple of seconds(!) later I have a real nice PDF of both sides of each page, all in order. Super nice scan quality, nice compact PDFs which can easily be OCR'd so I can actually search 'em word by word, right on the computer. I foresee the end of stacks and stacks of papers on my shelves in the near future. The scanner's constructed very sturdily (in Japan, not China) and it's well designed, too. Took all of about four minutes before I was up and scanning, counting from when the box arrived at my door.

I like living in the future.

Veru cool, but pricey! Can you do stacks of pics?
What if file (for example body section of FSM) is more.than 50 pages? Can it "merge/blend" files?

It creates one PDF for each batch of pages scanned. There might be settings to merge them, but I haven't bothered looking because Acrobat (and numerous other tools ranging from $free to $expensive) will easily merge multiple PDFs.

Pricey at $420, yep, but it's very clearly a case of getting what one pays for—it has none of that "ready to fall apart" feeling you get with cheap hardware.

Stacks of pics: Yes. It'll even scan documents up to 34 inches long! I have no idea when I would ever use that; as far as I know nobody ever released technical literature in scroll form.

Thats a midnight infommercial. "The scanner that you can catalog all your receipts and love letters...and now TSB's!" Of course it was the uber cheap version but glad it found a happy customer that can actually use it for the good of Mopar-kind.

It creates one PDF for each batch of pages scanned. There might be settings to merge them, but I haven't bothered looking because Acrobat (and numerous other tools ranging from $free to $expensive) will easily merge multiple PDFs.

Pricey at $420, yep, but it's very clearly a case of getting what one pays for—it has none of that "ready to fall apart" feeling you get with cheap hardware.

Stacks of pics: Yes. It'll even scan documents up to 34 inches long! I have no idea when I would ever use that; as far as I know nobody ever released technical literature in scroll form.
I consider it cheap ,for easy access . Nice find, /6 Dan.

Let me take this opportunity to pat myself on the back then. I began hand typing in my 500-600 letters back in 2002 (about 230,000 words). Got it done without any gadgets. P.S. No, I am not going to say I walked 5 miles (uphill both ways) to grade school every day.

Wow I didnt think it was possible for Dan the answer man to get better than before but that will speed it up for sure.

I’ve neen wanting something like that for all our old family pictures.

This scanner can do photos, though that's not its main strong point. I haven't tried it out yet; I have some older, annoying but capable flatbed Canon scanners for photos. I don't scan a lot of photos; mostly I send them (whether they're prints, slides, or negatives) to ScanCafe and they've done a great job archiving all the ol' family slides and negatives. For home movies, I use Victory Studios, and for old audio (records, cassettes, reel-to-reel tapes…) I use Precision Audio Restoration. For books and magazines I use Blue Leaf. For leftover Torqueflite meatloaf I use Anchor-Hocking.

Welcome in the future!
Prepare to make backups of the PDF's as well. Threefold is best with at least one backup on a different location.
Or one day you might have to scan all those papers again.

Yup, distributed redundant archives. On multiple hard drives, burned off onto archival DVDs, stored in multiple different locations, etc.

The world has tilted! Slant Six Dan not using old fashioned paper! He is not going to leave the slant six world and go new Hemi is he? :D

I can picture him a pair of "tandem" inline slant sixes, but a Hemi would be out of character at this point. Or maybe he already had a hand in this:

Thirty cylinders, five banks, five carburetors, five distributors, 1255 cubic inches. This is what happens when Detroit goes to war. Chrysler built the A57 as a way to satisfy a World War II tank-engine contract in a hurry, using as many off-the-shelf components as possible. It consisted of five 251-cube passenger-car inline-sixes arranged radially around a central output shaft. The resulting 425-hp pile of hairy freedom powered M3A4 Lee and M4A4 Sherman tanks.

The 10 Most Unusual Engines of All Time – Feature – Car and Driver

Last edited:
I have a pic of myself and Bill Weertman standing next to one of those tank engines at the WPChrysler Museum in Michigan in the late '90s (couple decades before Marchionne closed it down).

Yup, distributed redundant archives. On multiple hard drives, burned off onto archival DVDs, stored in multiple different locations, etc.
Getting ready to restore PC to factory settings. HD is partitioned. Also saved everything on thumb drives along with back up on external drive.

-
Back