ThermoQuad secondaries, should they go full vertical?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Looking over a factory Mopar 1972 340 auto ThermQuad 6139S I have to rebuild. When I open the throttle plate fully the primaries go full vertical but the secondaries are almost there, but not quite. Probably just a little more near vertical than in the fotos, but definitely not as vertical as the primaries (it's difficult trying to get full throttle and snap a shot at the same time). No big deal, but I was just curious and don't want to leave any horsepower potential on the table. Thank you.

DSC04113.JPG

DSC04114.JPG

DSC04115.JPG

They are opening correctly in the photograph.

if they're not vertical as shown in the photo, you need to quit driving like a wussy.

Every one I've ever seen was like that. I think with the vacuum operated valve plate, it has to be.

if they're not vertical as shown in the photo, you need to quit driving like a wussy.

The foto is showing they are not vertical, that's what I was trying to demonstrate anyway. I don't know, maybe 5 degrees off. The primaries are obviously all the way vertical.

As rrr said.... once again, that is correct.
That’s the way it should be.
There’s nothing wrong with it.

OK, thank you. Now for the rebuild. The shipper left the air cleaner stud on, and upon arrival it had punched a hole in the shipping box. I see that it may be threaded into the plastic bowl, hoping that in transit when it broke thru the cardboard it didn't crack the bowl somewhere. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

What’s the TQ number?
The thread screws into the base plate. There is a bit of wiggle room in the plastic bowl.

I believe that the 5* on the rear plates is to help fuel distribution. Otherwise the back cylinders get rich and the front one's will be lean.

The secondaries have an adjustment tang , the more the tang is adjusted for the secondaries to open the leaner it runs. the less they open, the richer it runs .

Are we talking about the secondary air-valve that a special tool is made to help ease adjustment, or is the adjustment "tang" just something else that one can bend on the outside body of the carb?

The air valve is on top of the carb. And yes it is adjusted by bending the "tang " but the op is talking about the throttle blades which are below the air valve.
Mike

The special tool I think that you are referring to is to adjust the spring tension on the air valve.
Easy to make ,or you can use two flat head screw drivers .

-
Back