Time for a new Harmonic Balancer?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Got the Duster on the lift to replace the leaking rear main seal (and pull the trans to repair a leaking front seal...fun fun right?) Anyway, while under the car I noticed the back balancer had bits hanging off it. The front looked fairly normal. Pulled it and took the following pictures. Safe to say the rubber may be brittle and warrant a new balancer? Thanks for the insight..as always!

Pat

hb1_zpswt3dqbv4.jpg

hb2_zpsus8yeayk.jpg

Hey Folks,

Got the Duster on the lift to replace the leaking rear main seal (and pull the trans to repair a leaking front seal...fun fun right?) Anyway, while under the car I noticed the back balancer had bits hanging off it. The front looked fairly normal. Pulled it and took the following pictures. Safe to say the rubber may be brittle and warrant a new balancer? Thanks for the insight..as always!

Pat

View attachment 1715050811

View attachment 1715050812
Ive seen the outer ring walk rearward and take out the timing cover, so yeah spend the money now, before it becomes a bigger problem.

Ive seen the outer ring walk rearward and take out the timing cover, so yeah spend the money now, before it becomes a bigger problem.
That happened to my wife's '72 Olds Cutlass!!!

-
Back