Tire mounting question

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I am mounting a set of 29x1850 15lt mickey thompson sportsman pro tires on my scamp. Tires say on the sidewall tube type tires. When I removed the old tires there were no tubes used. I purchased tubes when I bought the new tires and figured they were required. So I have repeatedly mouted these tires with the new tubes and cant get the hop out of them. Tubes show to be correct #. Two questions. 1. is it safe to ride around withe tube type tires with no tubes? 2. any advise on mounting them? I used the powder and what not. The old tires had no hop but also had no tubes.

Alot of people run them without tubes and have no problems.Bias tires have nylon cords and are not plyable until they are "warmed up",they also are more prone to having an out of round issue.I would take them to a local tire shop and watch them spin on the balancer to see how bad they are,we dealt with this alot back when I was a tire guy.

I am mounting them at the shop I work at. We just dont normally deal with such large tires. I spun them on the balancer and they are def. hopping.

Its tough to get them not to,if you havent already done so try to mount them 180 from where they are at now and spin them again.They are a pain in the ***!.

I run 29x15.50x 15's on my duster without tubes. Street/strip car. After I spun a tube air stem off I spoke with a tire guy and he told me he had super pro cars running without them.

What he did tell me to do is to: Take pure dawn dish soap too the inner side walls of the tire before you mount them on the rim. What it does is seals them from leaking down. Then car can sit all winter without hardley any air pressure leakage.

Attachments

• DSC00439.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 115
Ok good advise thank you. I went to mickey thompsons site and they strictly say run tubes. Haha more money for them I guess.

-
Back