Too much roll for a 64

-

El Guapo

Reaction score
I have a 1964 dodge dart gt convertible, and when i make a turn... boy does it roll! Torsion bars are ok , it's a 225 slant with a k member in place. I've read and looked that one solution is anti sway bars but don't really know which ones to get??? Is there some for the front and some for the back? Do i need to get them both? Is that what i need? I would'nt want to roll out of the car on my next turn with the top down. Any suggestions?

You should see a PST ad on the right side of your computer screen → → →
They have front and rear sway bar kits for your Dart. tmm

Start out with a front sway bar, I bet that will take care of your body roll, PST ----->

And welcome to this great site

Welcome to FABO ! Lots of good info here and good people also. NEW or USED, you are correct that Sway Bars are the 1st step. Look into some reasonably priced Performance Shocks. Not the best on the market but if you are on a tight budget (I am) the K-Y-B brand "Gas-A-Just " is a good shock for the money. A little stiff for some but I love them. Oh yeah, Seat belts and a single roll Bar hoop (professionally installed) would be good and look great also LOL ! Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the info. I was reading a thread on the install, it shouldn't be too hard. Just out of curiosity is hellwig any better or just the price? For some reason hellwig didn't show the price ...maybe it's a surprize?

In my opinion, the car needs 340 torsion bars, front sway bar, sub-frame connectors, and heavier rear springs along with good shocks all around. For me that is the bare minimum suspension for an A-body. The rear bar is not as necessary. While you're at it, upgrade the brakes to disc up front. 10" drums would be a nice addition to the rear, but like the rear bar, not as necessary.

It would help to do a search of handling upgrades. Plenty to make that sucker cut, your gonna say "boy, does this thing handle!!" :supz:

I bought the Hellwig #55914 tubular (lite) set up for the '65 Barracuda that my Daughter and I are building for her as a D.D. ,Yes it is $ but I liked the mounting of the bar and end link hook ups. Bar is mounted up high (up high and tight less likely for her to drag it off !) and end links are mounted just below the Shock and close to the Center Line of the Spindle.(this is for the '65 Barracuda, do not know your '64 set up.) I would think that in your case ANY sway bar is better than NO sway bar. Do what you feel comforable with now ($) and you can always upgrade later. (you can sell your used one here later) This will give you a sence of what direction we here at FABO are leading you in. hope that helps......

check out Jim Lusk #8post. good info on including Torsion bars & Disc brakes while you are at it. Like my saying " It's got to stop and Steer before it is to go Fast" ! (My Daughter added that LOL )

I bought the Hellwig #55914 tubular (lite) set up for the '65 Barracuda that my Daughter and I are building for her as a D.D. ,Yes it is $ but I liked the mounting of the bar and end link hook ups. Bar is mounted up high (up high and tight less likely for her to drag it off !) and end links are mounted just below the Shock and close to the Center Line of the Spindle.(this is for the '65 Barracuda, do not know your '64 set up.) I would think that in your case ANY sway bar is better than NO sway bar. Do what you feel comforable with now ($) and you can always upgrade later. (you can sell your used one here later) This will give you a sence of what direction we here at FABO are leading you in. hope that helps......

Thanks, I am waiting for uncle sam to give me some tax money and definately getting them soon! I appreciate the input.

Try the KYB shocks and larger torsion bars.That maybe all you need.If not stiffer rear springs then a front sway bar if needed.

Fifty years ago not many Darts had sway bars.
So you should start with a front sway bar.
A new set of shocks would probably help too.
You should also consider disc brakes, the small 9" brakes that originally came on your car are not really adequate for today's traffic.

And welcome to FABO!

-
Back