Top Color Change

-
Reaction score
I plan to put a new top on my 1969 Barracuda convertible since the rest of the car has been restored. The original top was black, but I want to change to a white top which I think would look better with the new red paint on the body. I understand a new top would be white on the underside as well. The frame is in good condition and is black. Would there be any issue with the black frame and the white top on the inside? Does the paint scuff off at all? Did the factory use other colors for the frame than black? I bought this car all apart, so I did not ever see the roof all together, and I have never owned a convertible.

I've had several convertibles from a variety of makers. All had the black ribs, and I never had an issue with that bleeding or transferring onto the material.

I plan to put a new top on my 1969 Barracuda convertible since the rest of the car has been restored. The original top was black, but I want to change to a white top which I think would look better with the new red paint on the body. I understand a new top would be white on the underside as well. The frame is in good condition and is black. Would there be any issue with the black frame and the white top on the inside? Does the paint scuff off at all? Did the factory use other colors for the frame than black? I bought this car all apart, so I did not ever see the roof all together, and I have never owned a convertible.

My 65 valiant came with a white top , and the frame is white. The p.o. had a new white top put on it , but the top is black on the underside.

I have a 93 corvette conv. that is white, with white seats, and a white top. (called triple white) That being said, the underside of the top is black. Nothing shows through.
FWIW IMO one of the best looking color combos are a red car with a white interior and a white top.
That being said, please consider this advise. Dont go white top, unless you keep the car in the garage. The white tops show dirt and stains much quicker then the darker colors. And there is no cleaners or treatments to keep this from happening.

It sounds like I need to find out from the top suppliers if they put a second layer of black fabric on the underside. It seems this would be necessary to block light, at least.
Also, the car will be kept in a garage under a cover except when it is out, and then the top will be down! Thanks for the heads-up 93ragtop!

-
Back