torque converter solution

-

67belevdere/225

Reaction score
i was all happy to install the tranny took out of the 82 diplomat because it had been freshly rebuilt, and with a hs /lock up sticker on the torque.
so i went to put it in my 67 belvedere and the torque hub is to big to fit in early forged crank.
so i will keep the original for now. the guy at the tranny shop said he has a overdrive
that is for a six . but im thinking that the torque wont fit ether.
i would think that they woud have to swap guts at a torque converter rebuilding shop
any ideas

throw it in a lathe and turn the hub down
Not a good idea. There isn't a lot of metal on the converter pilot, and it's hollow not solid.
i was all happy to install the tranny took out of the 82 diplomat because it had been freshly rebuilt, and with a hs /lock up sticker on the torque.
so i went to put it in my 67 belvedere and the torque hub is to big to fit in early forged crank.
so i will keep the original for now. the guy at the tranny shop said he has a overdrive
that is for a six . but im thinking that the torque wont fit ether.
i would think that they woud have to swap guts at a torque converter rebuilding shop
any ideas
You will need to get a custom built converter. That is a lockup converter with the pilot (not the hub) to fit your early crank. Any competent converter rebuilding facility can do this for you. Make sure they balanced to match your early engine.

I see that you live in Montreal. Your best bet, and the most knowledgeable company I know of to contact in your area would be SMR transmissions in Brantford Ont. Their toll free number is 1-888-846-6603. Pat Storey is the owner and a good guy to deal with. When I worked in the industry, I sold him lots of High Performance parts and had the chance to meet with him personally at a major car show in Toronto. Very nice guy and very knowledgeable. Just tell them what you need and they'll fix you up I'm sure.

thanks for the info , but i will run the stock tranny this year , and see how it revs on highway,
and go from there if i decide to modify torque and stay with 3 speed or go overdrive
im fitting the carbs and headers now

IMG_4229.JPG

-
Back