TORQUE CONVERTER WEIGHTS

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
While doing exhaust on my car I happened to look at the torque converter and noticed the counterweights were missing. They were either removed, or fell off, I am not sure. I would like to find a set of them to replace the missing ones. They are the 2 rectangle shaped weights, there is still an outline where the once were, so I can just weld into place. I am looking for a set to purchase, or weight and dimensions so that I can replicate them.

thanks

Mopar Performance did sell them at one time, try Mancini Racing. Just a thought, When I went from a 360(weights) to a 318 (No weights) I removed mine. Do you know the history of you engine ? What size ?

engine is a 360, converter is stock. just missing counterweights, I did not notice during build. They were removed and welded back on at some time by someone.

So are you noticing any vibrations? Could you have an aftermarket converter that was meant for an internal balanced engine?

I have a stock engine with a stock converter, just missing the weights on the converter. Trying to avoid pulling trans, just need the weights to weld back into position. If someone has a stock 360 converter with the 2 rectangle weights that they can measure laying around, I could replicate the weights if I had the dimensions.

So I assume you have a 360? Frankly I don't see those "falling off." It seems more likely someone removed them.

I have a stock engine with a stock converter, just missing the weights on the converter. Trying to avoid pulling trans, just need the weights to weld back into position. If someone has a stock 360 converter with the 2 rectangle weights that they can measure laying around, I could replicate the weights if I had the dimensions.
360/727 converter weights to 1976 1.62" x.75" x .380". Factory dimensions, sorry but can't tell you what they weigh.
Like 67dart273 said, never have seen factory weights "fall off". If they were removed previously and then welded back on, poor job of welding.

Flexplate stock as well?
Has engine been balanced before build?

Again, if you DON'T feel any vibrations, your engine doesn't want them and they have most likely been removed by the engine builder.

Rev up the engine slowly with transmission in Park upto 1500-2500 rpm.
If the engine needs the weights you will feel obvious vibrations through your seat.

-
Back