Transbrake Wiring to Backup Light Switch

-

Jay Anderson

Reaction score
Can I just run a wire from the pole on the on the switch (on the trans) to the TB terminal on my Pro Cube delay box? Do I need to fuse it, and if so what size fuse and wire. I was told about this, and it sounds better than using a button or a switch in the car to back up. Thanks!

all the terminals on the trans switch are grounds if you didn't know that already.
Kinda new to torqueflite stuff. I was looking at this diagram. Is it correct? My understanding is I really don't need the diode. I appreciate the help!
6563916-wiring.jpg

Need a more complete diagram of the trans brake wiring. Is the red and blue supposed to be the same terminal?

The way the "blue" section works is the blue is live in reverse/ key on. The diode will conduct whatever load is on the transbrake side, through the diode AGAINST the arrow, and back to the B+ present at the reverse lights

Diodes conduct neg to positive AGAINST the arrow, that is "electron flow" neg to pos

Like below: Lamp on the LEFT will light up

308923.image2.jpg

I’m just curious ... not being critical. I think I understand what you want to do - initiate the trans brake when the reverse lights come on ... obviously because the shifter is in reverse and the reverse lights turned on by a switch or mechanism?

It’s a bit of an annoyance trying to back up a non-power steering car with a high stall and buttons to boot. Lol

Myself, I would be paranoid that some short or malfunction might initiate that reverse light and hence the trans brake .... at the worst time.

Have you done this set up before? Or am I too paranoid. Lol

I’m just curious ... not being critical. I think I understand what you want to do - initiate the trans brake when the reverse lights come on ... obviously because the shifter is in reverse and the reverse lights turned on by a switch or mechanism?

It’s a bit of an annoyance trying to back up a non-power steering car with a high stall and buttons to boot. Lol

Myself, I would be paranoid that some short or malfunction might initiate that reverse light and hence the trans brake .... at the worst time.

Have you done this set up before? Or am I too paranoid. Lol
Yes, my transbrake has to be fed 12v for reverse to work. I’ve had both buttons and toggles to make this happen on my glides. I called the company that made my transbrake today. He said it was a great way to do it. He told me to just add a short section of wire from the transbrake to the wire on the terminal for the reverse lights, and you’re done!

Yes, my transbrake has to be fed 12v for reverse to work. I’ve had both buttons and toggles to make this happen on my glides. I called the company that made my transbrake today. He said it was a great way to do it. He told me to just add a short section of wire from the transbrake to the wire on the terminal for the reverse lights, and you’re done!

Makes total sense - simple and straight forward.

I’d feel comfortable with a manual SP switch - so it’s full on or off that I’d engage. I’d just be too paranoid that for some crazy reason some other factor powered my reverse light and hence .... unless you’ve rewired the cars electrical yourself and are comfortable some crazy **** wouldn’t happen. :)

Yes you can, that’s how I have done it for years. Just run 12 volts threw your button and down to the trans break and run the other wire off of the trans break to one side of the reverse switch and the other side to ground. On a three prong switch. I didn’t have BU lights.

Last edited:
Makes total sense - simple and straight forward.

I’d feel comfortable with a manual SP switch - so it’s full on or off that I’d engage. I’d just be too paranoid that for some crazy reason some other factor powered my reverse light and hence .... unless you’ve rewired the cars electrical yourself and are comfortable some crazy **** wouldn’t happen. :)
If IIRC “the shocker” just crashed because of that situation.

The brake in my Dart is wired to my back up lights, but it triggers a relay that engages the brake so I can back up. The button used when racing is powered through a toggle switch. My car is a street/strip deal and the brake will work in first or second so I didnt want take any chances of accidentally hitting the button and crashing or tearing stuff up.

-
Back